Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD by raylopez99
On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 8:55:03 PM UTC+3, Euclides Zoto wrote: Great player. However he was a Salty person. When you read how he used hate energy to win chess games then you know he wasn't the greatest person to associate with. Many people who knew him say he was a difficult person to deal with. VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD...who killed VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI? RL
June 17th 16 08:32 PM
by Euclides Zoto Go to last post
1 302
Human-unfriendly chess software by Paul
Are there any chess programs that take into account the way humans reason? I would think that whether a move looks "counter-intuitive" could be programmed to some extent. Examples of counter-intuitive moves are sacrifices, moves that move pieces to less active squares, moves that revisit squares that were visited recently etc. All these concepts are readily programmable.. Then, in a losing...
June 17th 16 05:17 PM
by Andy Walker[_3_] Go to last post
8 394
Pawn promotion by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
In the Paris Blitz tournament Nakamura Topalov game, Topalov promoted his pawn on the eighth rank but pressed his clock then put the Queen on the square. Nakamura claimed the game so Topalov lost. I didn't even know a rule like that existed that you have to promote the pawn and put the piece there that is promoted to then push the clock or you forfeit. Anyone know why that rule is there? It...
June 14th 16 04:00 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
4 532
Bohatirchuk: personal memories of Efim Bogoljubov by raylopez99
On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 9:53:07 PM UTC+3, Offramp wrote: " tied for first with Romanowsky in the V Russian Championship of 1927 — ahead of Botvinnik; tied for third with Alatorzev and Werlinski in the VII Russian Championship in 1931, and tied for third with Riumin in the IX Russian Championship in 1934. He is one of the few players with a plus score against Botvinnik — three wins...
June 8th 16 11:30 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 310
VIKTOR L KORTSCHNOI DEAD by raylopez99
On Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:03:43 PM UTC+3, Offramp wrote: The long chess pilgrimage of Viktor Kortschnoi is over. He played three matches where the winner became World Champion and lost them all. No shirt Shylock. Tell us something we know. But apparently--read between the lines--Kortschnoi, who's name is impossible to find in Chessbase with all the different spellings--was an...
June 8th 16 11:24 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 285
Poll
Poll: Does Karjakin have a chance against Carlsen? by zarkoth
I was slighlty disappointed with the recent result at the Candidates. Karjakin won, but I just don't think he can match Carlsen for the WCh title. Maybe Caruana would have had better chances. What do you think?
May 30th 16 11:13 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 366
Suggestios for Black responses against 1.e4 and 1.d4 by zarkoth
Hi! I'm new in this forum and keen to use the collective wisdom here. I need to find reliable openings with Black against 1.e4 and 1.d4. Not keen on too much theory, nor passive positions. Thinking about the French and the Dutch.
May 29th 16 12:11 AM
by zarkoth Go to last post
0 300
The maturational effect of board games by M Winther[_2_]
In many Western countries, university teachers are complaining about the educational situation in public media. The students expect them to function as helicopter parents that guide them to success, and if the student fails, then it's the teacher's fault. If kids were to be taught board games, such as chess, then they would acquire psychological tenacity, and learn that it is only you...
May 26th 16 04:00 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
3 456
Staunton Chess Set and Freemasonry by [email protected]
If one has enough time and imagination one can prove almost anything. It is obvious that chess is a war game where one side destroys the other. It is also self evident that it is either Indian or Persian ie. Asiatic adopted into MittelEU with kings and queens or vezirs which would be the Ottoman Turk contribution. None of this ahs **** all to do with Free Masonry. The term grandmaster is on the...
May 24th 16 06:33 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 273
Online cheater allowed to play in FIDE tournaments by Offramp
I read this post on the internet: Online cheater allowed to play in FIDE tournaments? (self.chess) submitted 46 minutes ago by GoldNovaPawn1800 FIDE The FIDE online Arena held their World Blitz Junior Championship last year in October, a young prodigy that is 9 years old with now a 2250 rating played in it, Ilya Makoveev finished 1st with 9/11, but was then later disqualified for cheating,...
May 21st 16 06:16 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 997
GLC Chess Tournament, March 1986 by Offramp
Does anyone know if there is a complete pgn file on the internet of all the games of the 1986 GLC Tournament played 11-27th March 1986 in London?
May 16th 16 08:37 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
4 414
Miles against Ligterink by Paul
Apparently Miles's record against Ligterink was 5.5 / 6 in favour of Miles. Quite incredible! Paul
May 16th 16 12:16 PM
by Paul Go to last post
2 330
chess rating vs. IQ - why geniuses lose to idiots by [email protected]
On Wednesday, December 30, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Greg Kennedy wrote: Here is a problem for the people who claim chess ratings correspond to IQ's: Why is it that "geniuses" like Nimzovich occasionally lose to an "idiot"? What is the probability of this occurring in a tournament? Of the "genius" jumping up onto a table and querying his awful predicament? And why is it that I...
May 14th 16 10:36 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 347
Peter Svidler by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Just saw his game as black against Karjakin in a Ruy Lopez in the Russian team championship. Svidler has beaten the best players in the world with the black side of the Ruy Lopez. And he doesn't play the Berlin! It is refreshing to see that white doesn't get it all his way in the Ruy. The last player this strong as black in the Ruy was Karpov. EZoto
May 9th 16 01:02 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 325
The blitz event in St Louis by [email protected]
Well, there was Caruana, Nakamura, So and Kasparov, and over two days they produced extraordinary chess well reported by the crew of strong players and commentators attending. Having had a go at this myself, 2 hours live commentary on 8GMs, with Paul Troung over 10 years ago, it is my educated opinion that this crew got a lot right. main commentators were Jen Shahade, Maurice Ashley and Yasser...
May 4th 16 08:19 AM
by 52%[_2_] Go to last post
2 329
chess rating vs. IQ - why geniuses lose to idiots by [email protected]
Den onsdag 30 december 1998 kl. 09:00:00 UTC+1 skrev Greg Kennedy: Here is a problem for the people who claim chess ratings correspond to IQ's: Why is it that "geniuses" like Nimzovich occasionally lose to an "idiot"? What is the probability of this occurring in a tournament? Of the "genius" jumping up onto a table and querying his awful predicament? And why is it that I continue to...
April 19th 16 05:49 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 313
US Championship by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Looks like a showdown between So and Nakamura is coming up to see who gets the US title with Caruana and Robson still in the hunt.
April 19th 16 01:27 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
0 295
Karjakin withdraws from Norway. by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Does anyone know why? Would have been a game to watch if both of them had met. Again however it almost seems Karjakin avoids playing him. In my last post most of the games they have played are blitz and rapid games. Will they meet each other in a tournament game before the World Championship? November is a long way off. EZoto
April 19th 16 01:15 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
2 361
Study with ASA my chess coach on the streets of 42 nd street NY, NY by Julia Sloan
Many of you were wondering my relation to Ace ( Asa Hoffman ) over the years. I originally started chess at 46th street Manhattan Chess Club on restaurants row. While the Manhattan Chess Club moved close by to the New Yorker Hotel on 34th Street and 8th avenue ( and very much exists to this day as sold audio modules over subscription service by invitation only ) Ace and I packed up our bags, I...
April 17th 16 01:50 PM
by Anonymous Go to last post
4 390
Watson brothers? by Paul
Does anyone know if the well-known problemist Ian Watson is the brother of the inactive GM William Watson, a former winner of the British Chess Championships? Or are they otherwise related. They look a bit alike, I think. Thanks, Paul
April 14th 16 05:50 PM
by Paul Go to last post
0 306
Post New Thread