Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Mate in 3 from my game tonight. by [email protected]
It took me a few minutes to figure it out. White to move. 4k3/3rbpp1/3Pr3/1Q6/8/2R2PPq/PPP4P/4R2K w - - 0 27
April 12th 16 06:26 AM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
5 455
Carlsen - Karjakin by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Was looking up all of there previous encounters in the database and almost 90% of their encounters were in blitz or rapid events. They played just a couple of games in real tournaments and they are even. I thought that there tournament encounters were much more than that. Just curious as to why this is. Hard to gauge their WCC match on their past games when they've played mostly blitz. EZoto
April 10th 16 11:02 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 373
Short-Cheparinov Corus 2008 by Paul
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 7:21:23 PM UTC, Paul wrote: In the Short-Cheparinov no-handshake game, the original game was 1.e4 c5 default, and the second (replay) game also began 1. e4 c5. Was the decision to repeat the opening made by the players or was it mandated by the officials that the game be continued from the position where it was abandoned? No one responded but, assuming that the...
April 6th 16 04:37 PM
by Paul Go to last post
2 332
With Fritz 15 how do I print a game with notation by SolomonW[_4_]
On older versions of Fritz GUI, I used to be able to print a game with scores and notation! ?! !? etc. So I would get something like. 13. BC4? or 18. NC3 d6! I think I also used to be able to get an evaluation for each move.
April 5th 16 03:50 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 361
HA. HA. haaaaa... GO busted. Google DeepMind AlphaGo beats LeeSe-dol in game 1 by raylopez99
I remember when Usenet had a GO forum (seems to have disappeared) I trolled them after Deep Blue won vs Kasparov, telling them their turn was next, and how smug and sanctimonious they were, saying it will never happen due to GO's complexity, mystical nature and other such nonsense. Ignorant peasants. Their game is rubble now, and the difference is: chess has a rich pedigree and will continue,...
April 3rd 16 12:37 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
9 493
Hikaru Nakamura, age 10, scores 2450 performance at Chicago Open by Offramp
On Tuesday, 9 June 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, Sam Sloan wrote: 10-year old Hikaru Nakamura, the youngest Master in American history, continued to show dramatic improvement in the Chicago Open, with these round by round results: beat Emory Tate (2438), lost to GM Larry Christiansen (2658), drew with Albert Chow (2328), drew with Alex Betaneli (2278), drew with Jim McLaughlin (2315), drew...
March 19th 16 07:43 PM
by EJAY Go to last post
3 403
Opening Monographs by [email protected]
Recently Mike Murray said he had played in a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit theme tournament, and I thought 2 things -- I have no idea what happens in this opening since I have never encountered it as White or Black, and secondly I have a few monographs in the chess library that I never think of, since they have no spine markings. Among these is a publication by Chess Digest magazine, of Dallas, Texas ...
March 19th 16 06:09 PM
by Eugene Delmar's Ghost Go to last post
5 455
Solution Manual and Test Bank ( 2013 -2014 ) by [email protected]
I would like to get the following: Starting Out with Programming Logic and Design, 2E Tony Gaddis, Test Bank i would also like the solution manual if it becomes available. Thanks!
0 203
German Chess Magazines by [email protected]
I'd like to subscribe to a German chess magazine. Decades ago, I subscribed to Schach and Schach-Echo & wonder if anyone could suggest possibilities.
March 19th 16 12:26 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 262
The Big Yerm by Offramp
Yermolinksy quote from Chessville: "Generally speaking, most chess players are boring, self-centered, money-oriented, poorly educated overgrown adolescents I couldn't care less about. With some exceptions, that includes the Linares crowd and all of the world's top twenty."
March 16th 16 10:12 AM
by alfg Go to last post
2 298
K&Kt v K&Kt & Rules for arbiters by Phil Innes
Here is a crazy situation that arose in the awful Armageddon finals imposed by USCF on the national women's championship a few years ago. As ani fül no, K&Kt v K&Kt can be won. The rules of the competition gave black a win if the game was drawn, and this ending was achieved but the arbiter said this was a theoretical draw, stopped the clock and stated the game was drawn and gave a score of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 6th 16 06:17 PM
by Anonymous Go to last post
14 892
You make the call by [email protected]
Seems like several folks here are too clever to figure this out. Here is the scenario, you are the arbiter and everyone wants to go home. The last game has this position with black to move -- both sides have plenty of time on their clocks but the lights are about to go out -- so how do you decide this game from this position? White: Kf2, Nf1, pawn, h2 Black: Kh1 Nf3 Phil Innes
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
18 660
Sam Sloan for President TV Ad on Youtube by samsloan
On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 8:03:24 AM UTC-8, samsloan wrote: Sam Sloan for President TV Ad on Youtube Sam Sloan Democratic Presidential Candidate on C-SPAN2 I am preparing an ad for TV broadcast. It is he https://youtu.be/Nk2t7NI5qAk I do not know why people always think I am Jewish. I am part Irish, Swedish, English and Scot-Irish. Of interest to chess players is my...
March 1st 16 02:59 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 279
[DGT users] interesting project by The Ugly Bishop
I bring to attention the following project: https://github.com/cattivofics/punio It is a tool designed to allow serial or USB DGT Chessboard users to play in Lichess or other online chess server without the DGT manufacturer's drivers. The project is open source. Kind Regards Claudio Ruzza
March 1st 16 12:21 AM
by The Ugly Bishop Go to last post
0 224
James Russell Lowell's Poem about Morphy, 1859 by Offramp
Arnold Shoenberg in his superb boom Grandmasters of Chess mentions a long poem about Paul Morphy by a known author called James Russell Lowell. God knows where he saw it, but I had never read it in its entirety until yesterday. It was transcribed from its original source and can be seen at https://zanchess.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/james-russell-lowells-infamous-morphy-banquet-poem/ Here is the...
February 29th 16 03:37 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 342
The Sloan-Brock Grudge Match, 2005. The anniversary approaches by Offramp
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago. The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match, http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?pid=27214&pid2=10021 took place on 25th June 2005. Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
14 715
Judit Polgar on BBC by Andy Walker[_3_]
The BBC web site is showing a short programme about Judit Polgar, featuring her 2002 win against Kasparov. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35483650 -- Andy Walker, Nottingham.
February 12th 16 02:08 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
5 441
Emory A Tate by Offramp
Emory Tate has died at a tournament.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 20th 16 06:58 AM
by B. Sanders Go to last post
11 739
Sam Sloan's Review of the Movie Pawn Sacrifice by samsloan
Sam Sloan's Review of the Movie Pawn Sacrifice I was invited to an advanced screening of the movie Pawn Sacrifice held on Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10AM in New York City, based on the fact that I had been a close friend of Bobby Fischer. I was invited to the screening by Katherine Matthews. Only three other people were there. Two were non-chess players who work for Chess in the Schools. I do...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 18th 16 08:50 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
11 1,115
Nigalidze punished by Offramp
GM Nigalidze has been given a 3-year ban for using a smartphone during a game, and probably using it to cheat. Three years seems about right. Chess is his career and it would be wrong to deprive him of that for a long time. Perhaps he'll take up poker. The fault is also with the organizers, who often fail to put up enough barriers to cheating. People get tempted. The current complete ban on...
January 4th 16 03:09 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
3 390
Post New Thread