Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
The Incredible Story of Chess Master Julius Finn by Offramp
I wonder how many chess players there are in the world? I bet that there's about 600,000,000 people who know the moves. But how many of them can play with any degree of competency? Probably about 1%: 6,000,000. How many of those could play a good, club-standard game?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 23rd 15 09:38 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
12 802
Strongest Blitz Players You've Seen Personally by [email protected]
On Friday, April 28, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, BriMarErn wrote: You know, the guys that hang out in skittles rooms during weekend tournaments and local parks giving people 5-3 on the clock. One time I saw IM Ben Finegold at the World Open just munchin on experts and even an FM! It was an awesome display. I also saw a guy ( I believe he was from the Philipines) that supposedly spoke...
December 22nd 15 04:26 AM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
3 399
1358 rated price gouger arrested by MikeMurray[_2_]
I posted this in the USCF "All Things Chess forum". It was quickly pulled for being "not about chess". Maybe I should have posted something extolling the virtues of Dustin Diamond. :) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/martin-shkreli-arrested-fraud_5672a3cbe4b0648fe3024db9 Let's teach him a new song to go along with his chess skills ...
December 18th 15 07:35 AM
by MikeMurray[_2_] Go to last post
2 315
Magnus Carlsen by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
What is going on with Magnus? At the Euro Team championship he is playing Pelletier. A strong player but not in Magnus class and in an endgame Magnus with white no less has an advantage. Then Magnus blunders a piece away and loses the game. He has definitely lost his edge somewhere. When you reach your goal in life then staying there is harder than getting there. EZoto
November 26th 15 05:07 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
3 408
You folks ever see this famous game? by [email protected]
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d4 exd4 6. cxd4 Bb4+ 7. Bd2 Bxd2+ 8. Nbxd2 d5 9. exd5 Nxd5 10. Qb3 Nce7 11. O-O c6 12. Rfe1 O-O 13. a4 b6 14. Ne5 Bb7 15. a5 Rc8 16. Ne4 Qc7 17. a6 Ba8 18. Qh3 Nf4 19. Qg4 Ned5 20. Ra3 Ne6 21. Bxd5 cxd5 22. Nf6+ Kh8 23. Qg6 Qc2 24. Rh3 1-0 Rossolimo offers his Queen. I was there. Watched the game. My first real tournament.
November 6th 15 08:02 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
5 386
First All-Far-Eastern SuperGM Tournament by raylopez99
On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:17:47 PM UTC+8, Offramp wrote: On Monday, 2 November 2015 01:47:30 UTC, EJAY wrote: A nice win for Wesley So . . These quadrangular tournaments are odd in that only 12 games are played. This one had only 2 wins, one each for So & Giri. The 3-1-0 London scoring system had no effect here, but it might have done had there been a few more wins. It wasn't...
November 5th 15 07:36 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 312
FIDE-Database by Manfred Tietze
In a paper with the title: "A complete database of international chess players and chess performance ratings for varied longitudinal studies" by Robert W. Howard from Australia, which can be downloaded for example he http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758%2FBF03193903, the author describes a rating database, which he constructed painfully. At the time of publication (2006) it was...
November 1st 15 12:33 AM
by Rainer[_2_] Go to last post
1 398
Strongest Blitz Players You've Seen Personally by Offramp
On Friday, 28 April 2000 08:00:00 UTC+1, BriMarErn wrote: I knew a guy that gave me this story. He was in the Air Force the same time FM Emory Tate was in. Tate was giving this guy 5-3 on the clock...BLINDFOLDED. The guy said the only thing that saved him was the fact that Tate fell asleep during the game. Amazing. This doesn't quite sound feasible.
October 19th 15 06:31 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 258
I was a victim of chess censorship by Offramp
I post fairly often at chesssgames.com, and as far as I know I've only had one comment removed. It was at the time when Gaioz Nigalidze was found cheating. I said that his name sounded like a posh hat-shop in Detroit. That was censored.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 18th 15 04:03 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
10 609
The impact of chess play on developing meta-cognitive ability by M Winther
"Investigation the impact of chess play on developing meta-cognitive ability and math problem-solving power of students at different levels of education" http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042812000572 M. Winther http://www.two-paths.com/bg/chessvar.htm --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
October 15th 15 04:57 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 322
The King's Pawn--chess film on Vimeo by raylopez99
On Sunday, October 11, 2015 at 6:01:54 PM UTC+8, M Winther wrote: https://vimeo.com/132283541 --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: --- Art imitating life. What this file is about... ~~~ SPOILER ~~~
October 15th 15 04:44 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 284
Morozevich by EJAY
What happened to Alexander Morozevich game? Had a lackluster performance at the Karp ov PoiKovsk ytournament
October 14th 15 11:11 AM
by 52%[_2_] Go to last post
2 296
Relocation variants--better than Chess960 by M Winther
I have developed an idea involving modest changes to the chess rules, less dramatic than Chess960. I wrote an article about it he "Relocation variants - rearranging the initial array" http://www.two-paths.com/bg/relocationvariants.htm The various relocation methods allow the players optionally to relocate king and/or queen before the play begins, whilst retaining the castling rights. The...
September 30th 15 05:43 AM
by M Winther Go to last post
0 276
Some odd facts about the Chess Grand Tour by Offramp
Chessbase has given some interesting facts about the Grand Tour: Aronian beat every American player and no one else (in Norway he only beat Caruana). Giri has not lost a game in the Grand Chess Tour. Anand was the only player not to win a game in Saint Louis. Aronian's score in Saint Louis would only have been good enough for a tie 2-4 in Norway. Both Wildcards have finished...
2 404
Chess paintings by Tantale
3 new chess paintings at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jmrw/Chess/Tableaux%20echecs/index.htm Mussini Luigi Alma-Tadema Sargent John Singer So now there are 38 paintings. If you know a painting about chess that is not here tell me.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
September 27th 15 06:07 PM
by Gerhard Holz Go to last post
10 1,589
After over 10 years of inactivity, I might return to tournament chess... by [email protected]
I've been playing lots on the Internet. I now my strength has increased by at least 200 points. I have the best chess club in the U.S. very close to me. So why not? The first tournament costs a lot. Tournament entry fees, St Louis club membership, USCF membership... Shooting for the Thanksgiving open.
September 15th 15 10:20 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 357
Separated at Birth? by Taylor Kingston[_2_]
Here's another one for our "Separated at Birth?" file of coincidental look-alikes. Chess statistician Jeff Sonas (of Chessmetrics fame): http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7114 and actor John Goodman: http://broadwayworld.com/columnpic/John_Goodman_519451.jpg
5 451
Giri's sense of humour by raylopez99
On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 3:28:58 PM UTC+8, Offramp wrote: Here is a funny comment by Anish Giri and he is referring the game from Sinquefield Cup, the Carlsen vs Topalov game. "My wife knew about 7...g5 in that Sicilian, I don't know why Carlsen didn't." This may simply be a statement of fact or it might be a dig. I think it's a small dig and that it shows Giri's brilliant sense...
September 6th 15 06:22 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 392
Grandelius-Krivstsev by Offramp
1. c4 e6 2. Nc3 d5 3. d4 Be7 4. Bf4 Nf6 5. e3 O-O 6. Nf3 Nbd7 7. Be2 dxc4 8.. O-O a6 9. a4 c5 10. d5 exd5 11. Nxd5 Nxd5 12. Qxd5 Nf6 13. Qe5 Re8 14. Bxc4 Bf8 15. Qc3 Be6 16. Rfd1 Qe7 17. Bxe6 Qxe6 18. Ng5 Qc6 19. Qc4 Re7 20. Rd6 Qe8 21. Qc2 Rxe3 22. Rdd1 Re7 23. Qxc5 Rd8 24. Qc2 Rxd1+ 25. Qxd1 Re2 26.. Rb1 h6 27. Kf1 hxg5 28. Qxe2 gxf4 29. Qxe8 Nxe8 30. Ke2 Bd6 31. b4 Nc7 32.. Rd1 Bxb4 33. Rd8+...
August 29th 15 10:01 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 246
Johannesburg 1981; what was FIDE's position? by Offramp
There was a very strong tournament in Johannesburg, South Africa, in August 1981. This is the final result. GM Andersson, Ulf 2600 7.0 GM Korchnoi, Viktor 2695 6.5 GM Huebner, Robert 2640 6.5 GM Nunn, John D M 2580 4.0 I know that some international cricketers played in South Africa in the 1980s and most were given a 3 year ban for playing in that boycotted country. Why were these chess...
August 28th 15 09:02 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
3 372
Post New Thread