Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
[DGT users] interesting project by The Ugly Bishop
I bring to attention the following project: https://github.com/cattivofics/punio It is a tool designed to allow serial or USB DGT Chessboard users to play in Lichess or other online chess server without the DGT manufacturer's drivers. The project is open source. Kind Regards Claudio Ruzza
March 1st 16 12:21 AM
by The Ugly Bishop Go to last post
0 232
James Russell Lowell's Poem about Morphy, 1859 by Offramp
Arnold Shoenberg in his superb boom Grandmasters of Chess mentions a long poem about Paul Morphy by a known author called James Russell Lowell. God knows where he saw it, but I had never read it in its entirety until yesterday. It was transcribed from its original source and can be seen at https://zanchess.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/james-russell-lowells-infamous-morphy-banquet-poem/ Here is the...
February 29th 16 03:37 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 365
The Sloan-Brock Grudge Match, 2005. The anniversary approaches by Offramp
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago. The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match, http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?pid=27214&pid2=10021 took place on 25th June 2005. Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
14 750
Judit Polgar on BBC by Andy Walker[_3_]
The BBC web site is showing a short programme about Judit Polgar, featuring her 2002 win against Kasparov. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35483650 -- Andy Walker, Nottingham.
February 12th 16 02:08 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
5 479
Emory A Tate by Offramp
Emory Tate has died at a tournament.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 20th 16 06:58 AM
by B. Sanders Go to last post
11 788
Sam Sloan's Review of the Movie Pawn Sacrifice by samsloan
Sam Sloan's Review of the Movie Pawn Sacrifice I was invited to an advanced screening of the movie Pawn Sacrifice held on Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10AM in New York City, based on the fact that I had been a close friend of Bobby Fischer. I was invited to the screening by Katherine Matthews. Only three other people were there. Two were non-chess players who work for Chess in the Schools. I do...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 18th 16 08:50 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
11 1,169
Nigalidze punished by Offramp
GM Nigalidze has been given a 3-year ban for using a smartphone during a game, and probably using it to cheat. Three years seems about right. Chess is his career and it would be wrong to deprive him of that for a long time. Perhaps he'll take up poker. The fault is also with the organizers, who often fail to put up enough barriers to cheating. People get tempted. The current complete ban on...
January 4th 16 03:09 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
3 419
Two Aged Masters in Trouble by Offramp
This is something that reminds me of the 1920s. Bobby Fischer's second, and a very strong GM Bill Lombardy, is being evicted. http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-players/william-lombardy-is-being-evicted He is 78. But the even more superb Leonard Barden is also being evicted, have a look at http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8000. When chessplayers start playing poker that is...
January 4th 16 01:23 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 440
Chess classified as not a sport in England. by Andy Walker[_3_]
Well, OK, actually it's bridge that has been so described; but beyond reasonable doubt the same will apply to chess, draughts, dominoes, .... The English Bridge Union has lost its High Court battle to get bridge classified as a sport. According to the BBC web site: " he judge said the issue he had considered was whether Sport " England officials had "erred in law" when refusing to...
January 4th 16 01:13 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
8 508
Chess clocks for free! by Offramp
I received the London Chess Centre's catalogue through the post today and I was thinking of buying a small chess clock. They start at about 20 for a digital. But I was annoyed to see that the cheapest digital ones cannot comprehend Fischer time controls. How?? I had an inspiration and I had a look to see if Android Smartphones had an app available: there were lots and you can see some of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 30th 15 08:36 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
24 1,293
World Championship of Chinese Chess, Round 5 by Quadibloc
On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 6:17:54 AM UTC-6, samsloan wrote: I just defeated Li Quy Cuong, a Chinese player from Finland. I am playing in the World Championship of Chinese Chess or Xiangqi in Munich Germany. It is rare for any of the non-Chinese players to defeat a Chinese player in these events so I am happy with this result. I was surprised to see even a _Japanese_ player...
December 26th 15 07:29 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 347
The Incredible Story of Chess Master Julius Finn by Offramp
I wonder how many chess players there are in the world? I bet that there's about 600,000,000 people who know the moves. But how many of them can play with any degree of competency? Probably about 1%: 6,000,000. How many of those could play a good, club-standard game?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 23rd 15 09:38 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
12 966
Strongest Blitz Players You've Seen Personally by [email protected]
On Friday, April 28, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, BriMarErn wrote: You know, the guys that hang out in skittles rooms during weekend tournaments and local parks giving people 5-3 on the clock. One time I saw IM Ben Finegold at the World Open just munchin on experts and even an FM! It was an awesome display. I also saw a guy ( I believe he was from the Philipines) that supposedly spoke...
December 22nd 15 04:26 AM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
3 450
1358 rated price gouger arrested by MikeMurray[_2_]
I posted this in the USCF "All Things Chess forum". It was quickly pulled for being "not about chess". Maybe I should have posted something extolling the virtues of Dustin Diamond. :) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/martin-shkreli-arrested-fraud_5672a3cbe4b0648fe3024db9 Let's teach him a new song to go along with his chess skills ...
December 18th 15 07:35 AM
by MikeMurray[_2_] Go to last post
2 377
Magnus Carlsen by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
What is going on with Magnus? At the Euro Team championship he is playing Pelletier. A strong player but not in Magnus class and in an endgame Magnus with white no less has an advantage. Then Magnus blunders a piece away and loses the game. He has definitely lost his edge somewhere. When you reach your goal in life then staying there is harder than getting there. EZoto
November 26th 15 05:07 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
3 473
You folks ever see this famous game? by [email protected]
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d4 exd4 6. cxd4 Bb4+ 7. Bd2 Bxd2+ 8. Nbxd2 d5 9. exd5 Nxd5 10. Qb3 Nce7 11. O-O c6 12. Rfe1 O-O 13. a4 b6 14. Ne5 Bb7 15. a5 Rc8 16. Ne4 Qc7 17. a6 Ba8 18. Qh3 Nf4 19. Qg4 Ned5 20. Ra3 Ne6 21. Bxd5 cxd5 22. Nf6+ Kh8 23. Qg6 Qc2 24. Rh3 1-0 Rossolimo offers his Queen. I was there. Watched the game. My first real tournament.
November 6th 15 08:02 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
5 431
First All-Far-Eastern SuperGM Tournament by raylopez99
On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:17:47 PM UTC+8, Offramp wrote: On Monday, 2 November 2015 01:47:30 UTC, EJAY wrote: A nice win for Wesley So . . These quadrangular tournaments are odd in that only 12 games are played. This one had only 2 wins, one each for So & Giri. The 3-1-0 London scoring system had no effect here, but it might have done had there been a few more wins. It wasn't...
November 5th 15 07:36 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
2 362
FIDE-Database by Manfred Tietze
In a paper with the title: "A complete database of international chess players and chess performance ratings for varied longitudinal studies" by Robert W. Howard from Australia, which can be downloaded for example he http://link.springer.com/article/10.3758%2FBF03193903, the author describes a rating database, which he constructed painfully. At the time of publication (2006) it was...
November 1st 15 12:33 AM
by Rainer[_2_] Go to last post
1 463
Strongest Blitz Players You've Seen Personally by Offramp
On Friday, 28 April 2000 08:00:00 UTC+1, BriMarErn wrote: I knew a guy that gave me this story. He was in the Air Force the same time FM Emory Tate was in. Tate was giving this guy 5-3 on the clock...BLINDFOLDED. The guy said the only thing that saved him was the fact that Tate fell asleep during the game. Amazing. This doesn't quite sound feasible.
October 19th 15 06:31 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 306
I was a victim of chess censorship by Offramp
I post fairly often at chesssgames.com, and as far as I know I've only had one comment removed. It was at the time when Gaioz Nigalidze was found cheating. I said that his name sounded like a posh hat-shop in Detroit. That was censored.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
October 18th 15 04:03 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
10 691