Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
What's going on with FICS? by Eliyahu
Bs'd What's happening with FICS? It looks dead there, nobody around.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 13th 16 04:15 PM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
10 752
What is the real name of Mark Houlsby ? by Chris[_4_]
On Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 10:17:25 PM UTC-5, samsloan wrote: An Internet gadfly named Mark Houlsby keeps invading and messing up the newsgroups. He does not appear to have any existence other than being an Internet poster. In addition to chess, he also posts to the Shakespeare newsgroups. He is believed to reside in England. Other than that, little or
April 13th 16 03:11 AM
by Chris[_4_] Go to last post
0 292
First steps towards my goal of reaching an Expert rating. by [email protected]
Played two tournaments these past few weeks. All the studying and Internet playing has paid off. My original rating was 1567. This rating was from 30 years ago and one rated game in the 90s. In two tournaments, each with only 3 games, I've increased my rating to 1641. 249 points to go!
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
April 12th 16 10:28 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
54 2,301
Opening Monographs -- The Schliemann Var of the Ruy -- Florian by [email protected]
Here is another one from the early days of chess publishing -- this time put out by THE CHESS PLAYER, Nottingham England -- written by Tibor Florian and who knows how it wound up in my collection? It is undated but the latest game citation is 1970. Interestingly 3. ... PKB4 (f5) in the Ruy is nothing I've faced in thousands of correspondence games, nor OTB neither. Early European and...
April 12th 16 10:23 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
4 404
New James Bond film has a chess scene by raylopez99
....as reported in Chessbase website. Opens in Europe tomorrow. But it cannot compare to the chess scene from From Russia With Love. RL
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
April 12th 16 07:35 AM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
20 1,263
Mate in 3 from my game tonight. by [email protected]
It took me a few minutes to figure it out. White to move. 4k3/3rbpp1/3Pr3/1Q6/8/2R2PPq/PPP4P/4R2K w - - 0 27
April 12th 16 07:26 AM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
5 533
Carlsen - Karjakin by Euclides Zoto[_3_]
Was looking up all of there previous encounters in the database and almost 90% of their encounters were in blitz or rapid events. They played just a couple of games in real tournaments and they are even. I thought that there tournament encounters were much more than that. Just curious as to why this is. Hard to gauge their WCC match on their past games when they've played mostly blitz. EZoto
April 10th 16 12:02 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 448
Short-Cheparinov Corus 2008 by Paul
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 7:21:23 PM UTC, Paul wrote: In the Short-Cheparinov no-handshake game, the original game was 1.e4 c5 default, and the second (replay) game also began 1. e4 c5. Was the decision to repeat the opening made by the players or was it mandated by the officials that the game be continued from the position where it was abandoned? No one responded but, assuming that the...
April 6th 16 05:37 PM
by Paul Go to last post
2 416
With Fritz 15 how do I print a game with notation by SolomonW[_4_]
On older versions of Fritz GUI, I used to be able to print a game with scores and notation! ?! !? etc. So I would get something like. 13. BC4? or 18. NC3 d6! I think I also used to be able to get an evaluation for each move.
April 5th 16 04:50 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 427
HA. HA. haaaaa... GO busted. Google DeepMind AlphaGo beats LeeSe-dol in game 1 by raylopez99
I remember when Usenet had a GO forum (seems to have disappeared) I trolled them after Deep Blue won vs Kasparov, telling them their turn was next, and how smug and sanctimonious they were, saying it will never happen due to GO's complexity, mystical nature and other such nonsense. Ignorant peasants. Their game is rubble now, and the difference is: chess has a rich pedigree and will continue,...
April 3rd 16 01:37 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
9 595
Hikaru Nakamura, age 10, scores 2450 performance at Chicago Open by Offramp
On Tuesday, 9 June 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, Sam Sloan wrote: 10-year old Hikaru Nakamura, the youngest Master in American history, continued to show dramatic improvement in the Chicago Open, with these round by round results: beat Emory Tate (2438), lost to GM Larry Christiansen (2658), drew with Albert Chow (2328), drew with Alex Betaneli (2278), drew with Jim McLaughlin (2315), drew...
March 19th 16 08:43 PM
by EJAY Go to last post
3 467
Opening Monographs by [email protected]
Recently Mike Murray said he had played in a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit theme tournament, and I thought 2 things -- I have no idea what happens in this opening since I have never encountered it as White or Black, and secondly I have a few monographs in the chess library that I never think of, since they have no spine markings. Among these is a publication by Chess Digest magazine, of Dallas, Texas ...
March 19th 16 07:09 PM
by Eugene Delmar's Ghost Go to last post
5 555
Solution Manual and Test Bank ( 2013 -2014 ) by [email protected]
I would like to get the following: Starting Out with Programming Logic and Design, 2E Tony Gaddis, Test Bank i would also like the solution manual if it becomes available. Thanks!
March 19th 16 11:05 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 246
German Chess Magazines by [email protected]
I'd like to subscribe to a German chess magazine. Decades ago, I subscribed to Schach and Schach-Echo & wonder if anyone could suggest possibilities.
March 19th 16 01:26 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 318
The Big Yerm by Offramp
Yermolinksy quote from Chessville: "Generally speaking, most chess players are boring, self-centered, money-oriented, poorly educated overgrown adolescents I couldn't care less about. With some exceptions, that includes the Linares crowd and all of the world's top twenty."
March 16th 16 11:12 AM
by alfg Go to last post
2 357
K&Kt v K&Kt & Rules for arbiters by Phil Innes
Here is a crazy situation that arose in the awful Armageddon finals imposed by USCF on the national women's championship a few years ago. As ani fül no, K&Kt v K&Kt can be won. The rules of the competition gave black a win if the game was drawn, and this ending was achieved but the arbiter said this was a theoretical draw, stopped the clock and stated the game was drawn and gave a score of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 6th 16 07:17 PM
by Anonymous Go to last post
14 1,042
You make the call by [email protected]
Seems like several folks here are too clever to figure this out. Here is the scenario, you are the arbiter and everyone wants to go home. The last game has this position with black to move -- both sides have plenty of time on their clocks but the lights are about to go out -- so how do you decide this game from this position? White: Kf2, Nf1, pawn, h2 Black: Kh1 Nf3 Phil Innes
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 5th 16 11:26 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
18 818
Sam Sloan for President TV Ad on Youtube by samsloan
On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 8:03:24 AM UTC-8, samsloan wrote: Sam Sloan for President TV Ad on Youtube Sam Sloan Democratic Presidential Candidate on C-SPAN2 I am preparing an ad for TV broadcast. It is he https://youtu.be/Nk2t7NI5qAk I do not know why people always think I am Jewish. I am part Irish, Swedish, English and Scot-Irish. Of interest to chess players is my...
March 1st 16 03:59 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 352
[DGT users] interesting project by The Ugly Bishop
I bring to attention the following project: https://github.com/cattivofics/punio It is a tool designed to allow serial or USB DGT Chessboard users to play in Lichess or other online chess server without the DGT manufacturer's drivers. The project is open source. Kind Regards Claudio Ruzza
March 1st 16 01:21 AM
by The Ugly Bishop Go to last post
0 271
James Russell Lowell's Poem about Morphy, 1859 by Offramp
Arnold Shoenberg in his superb boom Grandmasters of Chess mentions a long poem about Paul Morphy by a known author called James Russell Lowell. God knows where he saw it, but I had never read it in its entirety until yesterday. It was transcribed from its original source and can be seen at https://zanchess.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/james-russell-lowells-infamous-morphy-banquet-poem/ Here is the...
February 29th 16 04:37 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 429
Post New Thread