Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Hikaru Nakamura, age 10, scores 2450 performance at Chicago Open by Offramp
On Tuesday, 9 June 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, Sam Sloan wrote: 10-year old Hikaru Nakamura, the youngest Master in American history, continued to show dramatic improvement in the Chicago Open, with these round by round results: beat Emory Tate (2438), lost to GM Larry Christiansen (2658), drew with Albert Chow (2328), drew with Alex Betaneli (2278), drew with Jim McLaughlin (2315), drew...
March 19th 16 07:43 PM
by EJAY Go to last post
3 439
Opening Monographs by [email protected]
Recently Mike Murray said he had played in a Blackmar-Diemer Gambit theme tournament, and I thought 2 things -- I have no idea what happens in this opening since I have never encountered it as White or Black, and secondly I have a few monographs in the chess library that I never think of, since they have no spine markings. Among these is a publication by Chess Digest magazine, of Dallas, Texas ...
March 19th 16 06:09 PM
by Eugene Delmar's Ghost Go to last post
5 517
Solution Manual and Test Bank ( 2013 -2014 ) by [email protected]
I would like to get the following: Starting Out with Programming Logic and Design, 2E Tony Gaddis, Test Bank i would also like the solution manual if it becomes available. Thanks!
March 19th 16 10:05 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 226
German Chess Magazines by [email protected]
I'd like to subscribe to a German chess magazine. Decades ago, I subscribed to Schach and Schach-Echo & wonder if anyone could suggest possibilities.
March 19th 16 12:26 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 295
The Big Yerm by Offramp
Yermolinksy quote from Chessville: "Generally speaking, most chess players are boring, self-centered, money-oriented, poorly educated overgrown adolescents I couldn't care less about. With some exceptions, that includes the Linares crowd and all of the world's top twenty."
March 16th 16 10:12 AM
by alfg Go to last post
2 334
K&Kt v K&Kt & Rules for arbiters by Phil Innes
Here is a crazy situation that arose in the awful Armageddon finals imposed by USCF on the national women's championship a few years ago. As ani fül no, K&Kt v K&Kt can be won. The rules of the competition gave black a win if the game was drawn, and this ending was achieved but the arbiter said this was a theoretical draw, stopped the clock and stated the game was drawn and gave a score of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 6th 16 06:17 PM
by Anonymous Go to last post
14 998
You make the call by [email protected]
Seems like several folks here are too clever to figure this out. Here is the scenario, you are the arbiter and everyone wants to go home. The last game has this position with black to move -- both sides have plenty of time on their clocks but the lights are about to go out -- so how do you decide this game from this position? White: Kf2, Nf1, pawn, h2 Black: Kh1 Nf3 Phil Innes
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 5th 16 10:26 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
18 763
Sam Sloan for President TV Ad on Youtube by samsloan
On Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 8:03:24 AM UTC-8, samsloan wrote: Sam Sloan for President TV Ad on Youtube Sam Sloan Democratic Presidential Candidate on C-SPAN2 I am preparing an ad for TV broadcast. It is he https://youtu.be/Nk2t7NI5qAk I do not know why people always think I am Jewish. I am part Irish, Swedish, English and Scot-Irish. Of interest to chess players is my...
March 1st 16 02:59 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 327
[DGT users] interesting project by The Ugly Bishop
I bring to attention the following project: https://github.com/cattivofics/punio It is a tool designed to allow serial or USB DGT Chessboard users to play in Lichess or other online chess server without the DGT manufacturer's drivers. The project is open source. Kind Regards Claudio Ruzza
March 1st 16 12:21 AM
by The Ugly Bishop Go to last post
0 255
James Russell Lowell's Poem about Morphy, 1859 by Offramp
Arnold Shoenberg in his superb boom Grandmasters of Chess mentions a long poem about Paul Morphy by a known author called James Russell Lowell. God knows where he saw it, but I had never read it in its entirety until yesterday. It was transcribed from its original source and can be seen at https://zanchess.wordpress.com/2016/02/20/james-russell-lowells-infamous-morphy-banquet-poem/ Here is the...
February 29th 16 03:37 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
3 402
The Sloan-Brock Grudge Match, 2005. The anniversary approaches by Offramp
The greatest ever event in the history of all rec.games.chess newsgroups took place 10 years ago. The first game of the famous Sloan-Brock Grudge match, http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?pid=27214&pid2=10021 took place on 25th June 2005. Does anyone here have any special memories of the match?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
February 15th 16 02:59 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
14 816
Judit Polgar on BBC by Andy Walker[_3_]
The BBC web site is showing a short programme about Judit Polgar, featuring her 2002 win against Kasparov. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35483650 -- Andy Walker, Nottingham.
February 12th 16 02:08 AM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
5 519
Emory A Tate by Offramp
Emory Tate has died at a tournament.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 20th 16 06:58 AM
by B. Sanders Go to last post
11 872
Sam Sloan's Review of the Movie Pawn Sacrifice by samsloan
Sam Sloan's Review of the Movie Pawn Sacrifice I was invited to an advanced screening of the movie Pawn Sacrifice held on Thursday, August 13, 2015 at 10AM in New York City, based on the fact that I had been a close friend of Bobby Fischer. I was invited to the screening by Katherine Matthews. Only three other people were there. Two were non-chess players who work for Chess in the Schools. I do...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 18th 16 08:50 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
11 1,244
Nigalidze punished by Offramp
GM Nigalidze has been given a 3-year ban for using a smartphone during a game, and probably using it to cheat. Three years seems about right. Chess is his career and it would be wrong to deprive him of that for a long time. Perhaps he'll take up poker. The fault is also with the organizers, who often fail to put up enough barriers to cheating. People get tempted. The current complete ban on...
January 4th 16 03:09 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
3 450
Two Aged Masters in Trouble by Offramp
This is something that reminds me of the 1920s. Bobby Fischer's second, and a very strong GM Bill Lombardy, is being evicted. http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-players/william-lombardy-is-being-evicted He is 78. But the even more superb Leonard Barden is also being evicted, have a look at http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8000. When chessplayers start playing poker that is...
January 4th 16 01:23 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
1 467
Chess classified as not a sport in England. by Andy Walker[_3_]
Well, OK, actually it's bridge that has been so described; but beyond reasonable doubt the same will apply to chess, draughts, dominoes, .... The English Bridge Union has lost its High Court battle to get bridge classified as a sport. According to the BBC web site: " he judge said the issue he had considered was whether Sport " England officials had "erred in law" when refusing to...
January 4th 16 01:13 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
8 550
Chess clocks for free! by Offramp
I received the London Chess Centre's catalogue through the post today and I was thinking of buying a small chess clock. They start at about £20 for a digital. But I was annoyed to see that the cheapest digital ones cannot comprehend Fischer time controls. How?? I had an inspiration and I had a look to see if Android Smartphones had an app available: there were lots and you can see some of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
December 30th 15 08:36 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
24 1,368
World Championship of Chinese Chess, Round 5 by Quadibloc
On Tuesday, August 25, 2015 at 6:17:54 AM UTC-6, samsloan wrote: I just defeated Li Quy Cuong, a Chinese player from Finland. I am playing in the World Championship of Chinese Chess or Xiangqi in Munich Germany. It is rare for any of the non-Chinese players to defeat a Chinese player in these events so I am happy with this result. I was surprised to see even a _Japanese_ player...
December 26th 15 07:29 PM
by Quadibloc Go to last post
0 369
The Incredible Story of Chess Master Julius Finn by Offramp
I wonder how many chess players there are in the world? I bet that there's about 600,000,000 people who know the moves. But how many of them can play with any degree of competency? Probably about 1%: 6,000,000. How many of those could play a good, club-standard game?
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
December 23rd 15 09:38 PM
by Phil Innes Go to last post
12 1,050