Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
looking for by Thomas Burchardt
Hi friends a little "off-topic" but i'm looking for a chess coin set from germany! pictu http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8ec6949d/bc/schach.jpg?bcY6LB_A4rqjs5JC I hope some one can help! Please contact me by mail!!!
July 4th 03 12:29 AM
by Thomas Burchardt Go to last post
0 696
Blitz repertoire article? by Richard Stanz
"Ted" wrote in message ... Some time ago (last year I think) on some website somebody wrote an article or a series of articles describing a special repertoire for blitz chess. The Accelerated Dragon was part of this repertoire. Now I can't find the site anymore. If anybody knows what I am talking about, please post the...
July 3rd 03 10:26 PM
by Ted Go to last post
1 907
Petrosian vs Spassky by Jim
Spassky +10 =53 -11 Petrosian Source: Warriors of the Mind, Keene & Divinsky "Etj718" wrote in message ... What was the lifetime score between Petrosian and Spassky?I have heard when Petrosian defeated Spassky in the 1966 World Champioship Match it was considered an upset.Could anyone elaborate?Or perhaps it was not an upset...
July 3rd 03 09:05 PM
by Jim Go to last post
0 778
Secret Soviet Training Methods by Ivan
I went to a scholastic tournament last weekend and noticed a man passing out flyers for chess lessons. I took a flyer and saw that he was advertising chess lessons and that he was knowledgable with the secret Soviet Training methods and uses them with his teaching. After reading this statement, I feel really sorry for all the parents and kids that believed it because I don't think that such an...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 3rd 03 08:03 PM
by Iain Gourlay Go to last post
18 1,242
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by chessanalyst
Chiaromondo wrote: 1. e4 is extremely marginally statistically worse than 1. d4, because of the Sicilian. Well comps are not afraid of the Sicilian you know :) With proper analysis, White maybe even can achieve a slight advantage against c5 (in theory), eg. against the Sveshnikov by playing Nd5 instead of Bg5. For example 7.Nd5 Nxd5
July 3rd 03 05:02 PM
by chessanalyst Go to last post
2 865
connect pc to chess table? how? wood screws work for me! by marc margolies
or perhaps Elmer's carpenters glue! there is besides, dgt, a russian company which offers a similar product. The principle use of these boards are for broadcasting. A direct connection to the internet is possible and also video demonstration boards without an attendant/volunteer. The DGT board has the advantage of more support within topnotch commercial playing engines. It is also USB, which --...
July 3rd 03 08:01 AM
by marc margolies Go to last post
0 840
NYC Chess Community by Jerry
For polls regarding chess in NYC join this site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCChessCommunity/
July 3rd 03 03:07 AM
by Jerry Go to last post
0 858
Zhing Zhing by Nick
OT: This post discusses naming conventions, the real subject of this thread. "Bill Smythe" wrote in message ... "PJDBAD" wrote: ... I think the fact that Chinese "last names" are spoken first and should be also written that way is fairly well known.... Even the phrase "last name" is prejudicial (Jerome Bibuld might...
July 2nd 03 10:37 PM
by Nick Go to last post
1 913
Open Chess Tournament Los Angeles by Panjandrum11
Chess Players Rule! You make excellent executive decisions, relish complexity, and foresee what is most crucial and relevant. We, the devoted, daring, and driven members of the Exposition Park Chess Club consider you a kindred spirit. We warmly invite your participation in our chess club. This coming first Saturday of the month, July 5th, will be the occasion of a free, unrated, three-round ...
July 2nd 03 09:49 PM
by Panjandrum11 Go to last post
0 917
Tricky Situation For Black by Jarto
....11.c3-b5 f6xe4 12.c1-f4 d7-d5 13.f4xc7 d8-d7 Black has sort of lost control here, what does him/her do to regain control at this point. -- Jarto s_jouanny-at-yahoo.co.uk
July 2nd 03 08:31 PM
by Jarto Go to last post
0 802
Data vs. Borg in Chess! by Briarroot
Sam Sloan wrote: As everybody knows, the Borg is the Grob (1. g4) in reverse. OMG! Sam Sloan actually made a funny!
July 2nd 03 08:09 PM
by Briarroot Go to last post
0 822
Club liability by Pete
A lawyer in our club has recently advised me to incorporate our club and get liability insurance since our club plays mostly outdoors and at tournaments. He says that unless we limit our liability, everyone in our club could be sued if someone gets hurt at our outdoor chess tables or in the course of travelling to or participating in a tournament for our club. Does anyone have ant experience or...
July 2nd 03 06:44 PM
by Matt Nemmers Go to last post
2 846
Kubrick by GSANCHEZ
Watching a biography of Stanley Kubrick on HBO tonite. It mentions several times that Stanley was a good chessplayer, hustled chess in the park, played in tournaments. Some shots of his film sets show him at a chess board. Anyone know how good a player he was ? - Gabriel
July 2nd 03 03:13 PM
by Charles Blair Go to last post
1 894
Bill Gates for USCF President! by Kevin D. Nyberg
Why not Baghdad Bob? Baghdad Bob would get my vote. kdn
July 1st 03 11:53 PM
by Briarroot Go to last post
1 901
a newsgroup census by Dan Yobry
Actually, Castro was supposedly a mean pitcher in his time. -Dan -- email me at danyobry(at)attbi.com "Nick" wrote in message ...
July 1st 03 09:00 PM
by Nick Go to last post
2 995
Chess master, 7, quits school by Aaron Kuperman
Seems rational. Even if he lived in New York or London, he'll want to start playing out of town tournaments fairly soon. Even if the school allows it, he'll miss too much school. He is much better off being home schooled. That's might be true of many kids, and is definitely true of any child who "stands out" (for good or bad), or has a career that isn't compatible with a school schedule. Home...
July 1st 03 07:56 PM
by Harold Buck Go to last post
1 948
July 1st, 2003 - 200 Words by Lev Khariton by tomic
There is another piece by Mr. Lev Khariton at http://www.pakchess.com/ - this time on the 25th anniversary of the Karpov-Korchnoi match in Baguio - 25 years ago! Any comments? Goran Tomic ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
July 1st 03 07:47 PM
by tomic Go to last post
2 1,150
KRAMNIK speaks by joe mccarron
why would someone post a link in english to a website written in russian? If the site linked is in russian shouldn't the link itself be in russian? "tomic" wrote in message ... "Spec." wrote in message ... Does kramnik have anythign to do with the...
July 1st 03 07:00 PM
by Paul Gorodyansky Go to last post
2 990
chess anytime by Samer Adra
I've never heard of Chess Anytime, but I checked it out, and it's not bad. Its interface reminds me of WCN, but WCN is evil and corrupt so obviously this place has a lot more promise. I personally prefer USCL, FICS and ICC, in that order. www.uschesslive.org www.freechess.org www.chessclub.com If you check out USCL, my handle there is Samer.
July 1st 03 05:34 PM
by Looney Go to last post
3 1,738
KRAMNIK speaks by Joshua B. Lilly
The website is an eyesore, there`s very little material, and usually what he says is on there, I can`t even find. However, apparently this interview is legitimate and interesting, though it is in Russian and I can`t read it. And this is a big deal, IMO, Kramnik is perhaps the most silent reigning World Champion in history. Botvinnik didn`t play many tournaments during his reign but he never...
July 1st 03 04:24 PM
by Joshua B. Lilly Go to last post
0 941
Post New Thread