Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Secret Soviet Training Methods by Ivan
I went to a scholastic tournament last weekend and noticed a man passing out flyers for chess lessons. I took a flyer and saw that he was advertising chess lessons and that he was knowledgable with the secret Soviet Training methods and uses them with his teaching. After reading this statement, I feel really sorry for all the parents and kids that believed it because I don't think that such an...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 3rd 03 08:03 PM
by Iain Gourlay Go to last post
18 1,208
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by chessanalyst
Chiaromondo wrote: 1. e4 is extremely marginally statistically worse than 1. d4, because of the Sicilian. Well comps are not afraid of the Sicilian you know :) With proper analysis, White maybe even can achieve a slight advantage against c5 (in theory), eg. against the Sveshnikov by playing Nd5 instead of Bg5. For example 7.Nd5 Nxd5
July 3rd 03 05:02 PM
by chessanalyst Go to last post
2 844
connect pc to chess table? how? wood screws work for me! by marc margolies
or perhaps Elmer's carpenters glue! there is besides, dgt, a russian company which offers a similar product. The principle use of these boards are for broadcasting. A direct connection to the internet is possible and also video demonstration boards without an attendant/volunteer. The DGT board has the advantage of more support within topnotch commercial playing engines. It is also USB, which --...
July 3rd 03 08:01 AM
by marc margolies Go to last post
0 810
NYC Chess Community by Jerry
For polls regarding chess in NYC join this site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCChessCommunity/
July 3rd 03 03:07 AM
by Jerry Go to last post
0 830
Zhing Zhing by Nick
OT: This post discusses naming conventions, the real subject of this thread. "Bill Smythe" wrote in message ... "PJDBAD" wrote: ... I think the fact that Chinese "last names" are spoken first and should be also written that way is fairly well known.... Even the phrase "last name" is prejudicial (Jerome Bibuld might...
July 2nd 03 10:37 PM
by Nick Go to last post
1 883
Open Chess Tournament Los Angeles by Panjandrum11
Chess Players Rule! You make excellent executive decisions, relish complexity, and foresee what is most crucial and relevant. We, the devoted, daring, and driven members of the Exposition Park Chess Club consider you a kindred spirit. We warmly invite your participation in our chess club. This coming first Saturday of the month, July 5th, will be the occasion of a free, unrated, three-round ...
July 2nd 03 09:49 PM
by Panjandrum11 Go to last post
0 887
Tricky Situation For Black by Jarto
....11.c3-b5 f6xe4 12.c1-f4 d7-d5 13.f4xc7 d8-d7 Black has sort of lost control here, what does him/her do to regain control at this point. -- Jarto s_jouanny-at-yahoo.co.uk
July 2nd 03 08:31 PM
by Jarto Go to last post
0 773
Data vs. Borg in Chess! by Briarroot
Sam Sloan wrote: As everybody knows, the Borg is the Grob (1. g4) in reverse. OMG! Sam Sloan actually made a funny!
July 2nd 03 08:09 PM
by Briarroot Go to last post
0 789
Club liability by Pete
A lawyer in our club has recently advised me to incorporate our club and get liability insurance since our club plays mostly outdoors and at tournaments. He says that unless we limit our liability, everyone in our club could be sued if someone gets hurt at our outdoor chess tables or in the course of travelling to or participating in a tournament for our club. Does anyone have ant experience or...
July 2nd 03 06:44 PM
by Matt Nemmers Go to last post
2 814
Kubrick by GSANCHEZ
Watching a biography of Stanley Kubrick on HBO tonite. It mentions several times that Stanley was a good chessplayer, hustled chess in the park, played in tournaments. Some shots of his film sets show him at a chess board. Anyone know how good a player he was ? - Gabriel
July 2nd 03 03:13 PM
by Charles Blair Go to last post
1 862
Bill Gates for USCF President! by Kevin D. Nyberg
Why not Baghdad Bob? Baghdad Bob would get my vote. kdn
July 1st 03 11:53 PM
by Briarroot Go to last post
1 869
a newsgroup census by Dan Yobry
Actually, Castro was supposedly a mean pitcher in his time. -Dan -- email me at danyobry(at)attbi.com "Nick" wrote in message ...
July 1st 03 09:00 PM
by Nick Go to last post
2 959
Chess master, 7, quits school by Aaron Kuperman
Seems rational. Even if he lived in New York or London, he'll want to start playing out of town tournaments fairly soon. Even if the school allows it, he'll miss too much school. He is much better off being home schooled. That's might be true of many kids, and is definitely true of any child who "stands out" (for good or bad), or has a career that isn't compatible with a school schedule. Home...
July 1st 03 07:56 PM
by Harold Buck Go to last post
1 918
July 1st, 2003 - 200 Words by Lev Khariton by tomic
There is another piece by Mr. Lev Khariton at http://www.pakchess.com/ - this time on the 25th anniversary of the Karpov-Korchnoi match in Baguio - 25 years ago! Any comments? Goran Tomic ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
July 1st 03 07:47 PM
by tomic Go to last post
2 1,120
KRAMNIK speaks by joe mccarron
why would someone post a link in english to a website written in russian? If the site linked is in russian shouldn't the link itself be in russian? "tomic" wrote in message ... "Spec." wrote in message ... Does kramnik have anythign to do with the...
July 1st 03 07:00 PM
by Paul Gorodyansky Go to last post
2 959
chess anytime by Samer Adra
I've never heard of Chess Anytime, but I checked it out, and it's not bad. Its interface reminds me of WCN, but WCN is evil and corrupt so obviously this place has a lot more promise. I personally prefer USCL, FICS and ICC, in that order. www.uschesslive.org www.freechess.org www.chessclub.com If you check out USCL, my handle there is Samer.
July 1st 03 05:34 PM
by Looney Go to last post
3 1,701
KRAMNIK speaks by Joshua B. Lilly
The website is an eyesore, there`s very little material, and usually what he says is on there, I can`t even find. However, apparently this interview is legitimate and interesting, though it is in Russian and I can`t read it. And this is a big deal, IMO, Kramnik is perhaps the most silent reigning World Champion in history. Botvinnik didn`t play many tournaments during his reign but he never...
July 1st 03 04:24 PM
by Joshua B. Lilly Go to last post
0 910
Fischer-Spassky video? by tomic
Why don't you ask famous yugoslav chess journalist Dimitrije Bjelica. Maybe he could help. His adress is . Have you seen his video's from 1972? Goran Tomic
July 1st 03 06:41 AM
by tomic Go to last post
0 880
Things to avoid? by michael adams
Chapman billy wrote: Mention Lucena to a chess player and it will probably conjure up images of a certain rook ending. Yet it is also the name of a town known in Moorish Spain for its medical expertise; in particular, any male whose chosen profession, voluntary or otherwise, involved singing at the upper end of the vocal range would likely have passed under its surgeons' knives.
July 1st 03 06:28 AM
by michael adams Go to last post
0 868
OT Civility by Nick
Chapman billy wrote in message ... In article , says... (snipped) On 20 April (coincidentally, Hitler's birthday) 1968, Enoch Powell, a British politician, then in the Conservative Party, and a classical scholar, made an ...
July 1st 03 05:23 AM
by Nick Go to last post
0 830
Post New Thread