Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Grandmaster Secrets: Openings: printing error? by Geas
Since I was a fan of Soltis' endgame book, I picked up the sequel on openings. I started reading it and I'm finding that many of the pages are blank (pages 17, 20, and 21 for example). Is this a known problem with the printing run?
July 7th 03 01:20 PM
by David Ames Go to last post
1 753
chess movie?? by JJNeet1
Can someone please tell me the name of the chees related movie that came out a couple of years ago?I can't remember the name,but I believe its about some younger players travelling around playing in tournaments?I think you had to buy the movie from a website.I want to see if I can check it out from the library,if I can only get the name of it.I've seen Searching For Bobby Fisher,The Mighty...
July 7th 03 09:05 AM
by Zygi Go to last post
3 757
Useful top chess players by tomic
I found interesting item on the internet: During World War II, some of the top Chess players were also code breakers. British masters Harry Golombek, Stuart Milner-Barry and H. O'D. Alexander were on the team which broke the Nazi Enigma code. Does anybody have more information about it? Any comments? Regards, Goran Tomic
July 7th 03 12:54 AM
by Jerzy Go to last post
4 898
Article - Chess and The Brain by Gunny Bunny
Can someone post the full article from Cognitive Brain Research ? http://www.psychologytoday.com/htdocs/prod/PTOArticle/PTO-20030522-000001.as p Chess: Not All About Logic? By Jason Williams -- Publication Date: Mar/Apr 2003 Summary: Spatial processing may be the key to a good game. Chess is not
July 7th 03 12:45 AM
by Nick Go to last post
3 840
just an obsevation by Tom E.
When I watch GM's and IM's play blitz on ICC, they make a preponderance of the moves I want them to make. When I play, I can't see squat! Tom
July 6th 03 11:33 PM
by Tom E. Go to last post
2 770
Lennox Lewis and the Klitschkos in Chess by Chino Gunz456
lennox brags that he can play chess just to look more versatile but he's weak. I'm a big boxing fan and i heard the younger brother wladimir klitschko say in a interview that he and lennox can get together and play a game of chess and his good friend kasparov can be the ref. So if Wladimir knows Kasparov then u know he must be a strong player!
July 6th 03 06:39 PM
by oxtut Go to last post
4 2,771
The Ultimate Boring Game by Jim
I once played two computers against each other (Fritz 5 vs. Genius 5). That was very boring indeed.
July 6th 03 02:12 PM
by Programbo5 Go to last post
1 784
declining gambits by chessanalyst
Assuming gambit players are slew enough to play correct gambits with enough positional compensation in any case wouldnt it more wiser for average players to deline gambits ? For example after e4 e5 f4 Bc5!? the not so well known Bardeleben (instead of the more wellknown d5, Falkbeer) there's not much special anymore in this position for white; last game in my CA7.1 database gave 0-1 in...
July 6th 03 10:50 AM
by Ron Go to last post
1 791
Opening collection file format?? by [email protected]
I recently started compiling a text file showing the variations I have used in games (both OTB and against my computer). I have standard game records, but I want a tree showing what I tried in various situations and what was tried against me. I have found that a tree isn't really the exact format I want, because I often reach the same position through a different set of opening moves, so the...
July 6th 03 08:51 AM
by Jo Steinschuld Go to last post
1 906
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by bhnews
I play c4 because it attracts women
July 6th 03 08:05 AM
by NoMoreChess Go to last post
1 816
Gens Una Sumus. Now let?s kill each other? -200 Words by Lev Khariton by Nick
(Jerome Bibuld) wrote in message ... As one of the few United Statesians who rooted for Spassky in 1972 and as one who once legitimately could have called Spassky a casual friend... Please don't make the U. S. mistake of believing that, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing!"... I don't understand why...
July 6th 03 03:40 AM
by NoMoreChess Go to last post
1 718
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by LeModernCaveman
I hardly think he 'blundered' the piece as such. He'd have been well aware that the bishop would be lost, but I think it was a deliberate winning attempt. Bwaahahahahaaa! LOL! Bobby hung his Bishop for TWO (count 'em, two) pawns, and this was all part of his master-plan to play for a win? You really are way out there, when it comes to objectively assessing things relating...
July 6th 03 01:53 AM
by Mark Houlsby Go to last post
2 810
Unusual Tournament Sites by Nick
What were the most unusual sites for a chess tournament? One candidate would be a secret location in Chechnya's mountains, reportedly the site for a recent 'national championship of liberated Chechnya'. 'There was one nation which would not give in, would not acquire the mental habits of submission--and not just individual rebels among them, but the whole nation to a man. These were the...
July 6th 03 01:52 AM
by Nick Go to last post
0 706
Avoiding the sicilian by Lion
I am looking for a way to completely avoid the sicilian defense as white. Are there any opening systems that begin with 1. e4 but allow me to dodge the sicilian? Its okay if the opening is not completely sound. My opponents range from 1600 to 2000, so they won't be able to take advantage of a minor theoretical weakness. My reason for wanting to avoid the sicilian, is that I can prepare long...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 5th 03 09:46 PM
by Nick Go to last post
11 1,321
Old Chess Problem by PJDBAD
This is from the New York Chess forum maybe someone could help lhelfgott out. Old Chess Problem Can someone please help. Many years ago I saw a chess problem composed in the 18th century. White had all his pieces plus more than one queen, and the problem was for white to checkmate black With a PAWN, functioning as a PAWN (no promotion) but first after getting rid of all his other pieces!! Can...
July 5th 03 06:33 PM
by Anders Thulin Go to last post
2 936
looking for... again by Thomas Burchardt
Hi friends a little "off-topic" but i'm looking for a chess coin set from germany! pictu http://de.photos.yahoo.com/bc/seagram2de/lst?.dir=/&.view=t&.src=ph&.done=+ I hope some one can help! Please contact me by mail!!!
July 5th 03 04:26 PM
by Thomas Burchardt Go to last post
0 735
Try to win from this position... by Hans Meier
Here is the position in FEN format: r4rk1/2q2pp1/2bppb1p/p1p5/1n1PP3/1BN1RN2/1PPQ1PPP/3R2K1 b You are black. Black to move. Respond with your move in the subject line. I will respond with White's move. You can use a computer. Good luck
July 5th 03 03:46 PM
by Ted Go to last post
3 791
Who is this person ? by Gunny Bunny
Question: Anyone know this person ? I never heard of her ! http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/story.jsp?story=421562 Syrian chess fanatic makes a bizarre move on Cordiant By Nigel Cope City Editor 04 July 2003 A glamorous Syrian woman who used to be married to a middle eastern military intermediary has emerged as the mystery investor who has bought a 2 per cent stake in Cordiant,...
July 5th 03 08:46 AM
by Magic_BumWind Go to last post
1 834
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by Southpaw
Hmmm... You shouldn't make assumptions. I'm a long way from being a Fischer fanatic, and he is certainly not my idol, hero or whatever else you'd like to imagine. Frankly I much prefer Spassky and always have. But there's a world of difference between a World Champion's mistake (and I certainly accept that his idea was probably a mistake) and what we amateurs would call a blunder. A beginner may...
July 5th 03 06:33 AM
by Louis Blair Go to last post
1 859
Happy Birthday !! by Jerzy
Happy Birthday to all American chessplayers and citizens !! :) Jerzy
July 4th 03 06:17 PM
by King Leopold Go to last post
1 835
Post New Thread