Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Sveshnikov on organization of chess tournaments by Jerzy
If you want to know what are the views of the famous chess Grand Master Sveshnikov on organization of chess tournaments you can read the article on Chess Express site : http://www.chess-express.ru/article/euch-svesh.html It is however written in Russian. :))) Regards,
July 7th 03 08:57 PM
by The Masked Bishop Go to last post
6 832
Jaan Ehlvest wins World Open by Sam Sloan
The 2003 World Open has been won by Jaan Ehlvest of Estonia. After 9 rounds of play, 10 players were tied for first. Under the new Goichberg Rules, the top two on tie-breaking points were to play a one game play-off match at 6 minutes to 5 minutes with the player of black having draw odds. Ehlvert and Smirin were the top two on tie-breaking points. Ehlvert had better tie-breaks so he got to...
July 7th 03 07:24 PM
by Sam Sloan Go to last post
4 813
Sämisch - Capablanca, Karlsbad 1929 by Fredrik Acosta
Sämisch - Capablanca, Karlsbad 1929 =================================== I have found different stories and versions about this (in-)famous game. Several authors tell about the "short" game. Version I ========= Samisch - Capablanca J
July 7th 03 06:37 PM
by Anders Thulin Go to last post
4 1,194
Ponomariov - Losing Match Mentally !! by Gunny Bunny
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1031 Ponomariov: 'I can beat Kasparov' FIDE world champion Ruslan Ponomariov has given another interview, this time to the Russian sports magazine Sport Express. In it he repeats his dissatisfaction with the way FIDE has handled the organisation of his September match against Garry Kasparov and sets his demands for reimbursement for financial...
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
July 7th 03 05:15 PM
by John Swartz Go to last post
26 1,838
Teddy Coleman, 13, Great Sensation of the World Open by Sam Sloan
Teddy Coleman, 13, Great Sensation of the World Open The great sensation of the 2003 World Open, concluded yesterday, was Teddy Coleman, aged 13. Teddy scored 5 points in his first seven games against opponents averaging 2300, for a grandmaster level preformance. However, he played a grandmaster in round 8 and lost. In Round nine he lost to an International Master. So, Teddy would up with a...
July 7th 03 05:12 PM
by Sam Sloan Go to last post
0 859
Teddy Coleman, 13, Great Sensation of the World Open by Sam Sloan
Teddy Coleman, 13, Great Sensation of the World Open The great sensation of the 2003 World Open, concluded yesterday, was Teddy Coleman, aged 13. Teddy scored 5 points in his first seven games against opponents averaging 2300, for a grandmaster level preformance. However, he played a grandmaster in round 8 and lost. In Round nine he lost to an International Master. So, Teddy would up with a...
July 7th 03 05:10 PM
by Sam Sloan Go to last post
0 816
French Defence for juniors by Eric Hicks
Andy there is none for juniors. www.academicchess.com Best Learning Chess Site on the Planet
July 7th 03 01:38 PM
by LeModernCaveman Go to last post
1 809
Grandmaster Secrets: Openings: printing error? by Geas
Since I was a fan of Soltis' endgame book, I picked up the sequel on openings. I started reading it and I'm finding that many of the pages are blank (pages 17, 20, and 21 for example). Is this a known problem with the printing run?
July 7th 03 01:20 PM
by David Ames Go to last post
1 771
chess movie?? by JJNeet1
Can someone please tell me the name of the chees related movie that came out a couple of years ago?I can't remember the name,but I believe its about some younger players travelling around playing in tournaments?I think you had to buy the movie from a website.I want to see if I can check it out from the library,if I can only get the name of it.I've seen Searching For Bobby Fisher,The Mighty...
July 7th 03 09:05 AM
by Zygi Go to last post
3 786
Useful top chess players by tomic
I found interesting item on the internet: During World War II, some of the top Chess players were also code breakers. British masters Harry Golombek, Stuart Milner-Barry and H. O'D. Alexander were on the team which broke the Nazi Enigma code. Does anybody have more information about it? Any comments? Regards, Goran Tomic
July 7th 03 12:54 AM
by Jerzy Go to last post
4 933
Article - Chess and The Brain by Gunny Bunny
Can someone post the full article from Cognitive Brain Research ? http://www.psychologytoday.com/htdocs/prod/PTOArticle/PTO-20030522-000001.as p Chess: Not All About Logic? By Jason Williams -- Publication Date: Mar/Apr 2003 Summary: Spatial processing may be the key to a good game. Chess is not
July 7th 03 12:45 AM
by Nick Go to last post
3 870
just an obsevation by Tom E.
When I watch GM's and IM's play blitz on ICC, they make a preponderance of the moves I want them to make. When I play, I can't see squat! Tom
July 6th 03 11:33 PM
by Tom E. Go to last post
2 798
Lennox Lewis and the Klitschkos in Chess by Chino Gunz456
lennox brags that he can play chess just to look more versatile but he's weak. I'm a big boxing fan and i heard the younger brother wladimir klitschko say in a interview that he and lennox can get together and play a game of chess and his good friend kasparov can be the ref. So if Wladimir knows Kasparov then u know he must be a strong player!
July 6th 03 06:39 PM
by oxtut Go to last post
4 2,859
The Ultimate Boring Game by Jim
I once played two computers against each other (Fritz 5 vs. Genius 5). That was very boring indeed.
July 6th 03 02:12 PM
by Programbo5 Go to last post
1 806
declining gambits by chessanalyst
Assuming gambit players are slew enough to play correct gambits with enough positional compensation in any case wouldnt it more wiser for average players to deline gambits ? For example after e4 e5 f4 Bc5!? the not so well known Bardeleben (instead of the more wellknown d5, Falkbeer) there's not much special anymore in this position for white; last game in my CA7.1 database gave 0-1 in...
July 6th 03 10:50 AM
by Ron Go to last post
1 839
Opening collection file format?? by [email protected]
I recently started compiling a text file showing the variations I have used in games (both OTB and against my computer). I have standard game records, but I want a tree showing what I tried in various situations and what was tried against me. I have found that a tree isn't really the exact format I want, because I often reach the same position through a different set of opening moves, so the...
July 6th 03 08:51 AM
by Jo Steinschuld Go to last post
1 937
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by bhnews
I play c4 because it attracts women
July 6th 03 08:05 AM
by NoMoreChess Go to last post
1 849
Gens Una Sumus. Now let?s kill each other? -200 Words by Lev Khariton by Nick
(Jerome Bibuld) wrote in message ... As one of the few United Statesians who rooted for Spassky in 1972 and as one who once legitimately could have called Spassky a casual friend... Please don't make the U. S. mistake of believing that, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing!"... I don't understand why...
July 6th 03 03:40 AM
by NoMoreChess Go to last post
1 744
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by LeModernCaveman
I hardly think he 'blundered' the piece as such. He'd have been well aware that the bishop would be lost, but I think it was a deliberate winning attempt. Bwaahahahahaaa! LOL! Bobby hung his Bishop for TWO (count 'em, two) pawns, and this was all part of his master-plan to play for a win? You really are way out there, when it comes to objectively assessing things relating...
July 6th 03 01:53 AM
by Mark Houlsby Go to last post
2 832
Unusual Tournament Sites by Nick
What were the most unusual sites for a chess tournament? One candidate would be a secret location in Chechnya's mountains, reportedly the site for a recent 'national championship of liberated Chechnya'. 'There was one nation which would not give in, would not acquire the mental habits of submission--and not just individual rebels among them, but the whole nation to a man. These were the...
July 6th 03 01:52 AM
by Nick Go to last post
0 729
Post New Thread