Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Avoiding the sicilian by Lion
I am looking for a way to completely avoid the sicilian defense as white. Are there any opening systems that begin with 1. e4 but allow me to dodge the sicilian? Its okay if the opening is not completely sound. My opponents range from 1600 to 2000, so they won't be able to take advantage of a minor theoretical weakness. My reason for wanting to avoid the sicilian, is that I can prepare long...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 5th 03 09:46 PM
by Nick Go to last post
11 1,391
Old Chess Problem by PJDBAD
This is from the New York Chess forum maybe someone could help lhelfgott out. Old Chess Problem Can someone please help. Many years ago I saw a chess problem composed in the 18th century. White had all his pieces plus more than one queen, and the problem was for white to checkmate black With a PAWN, functioning as a PAWN (no promotion) but first after getting rid of all his other pieces!! Can...
July 5th 03 06:33 PM
by Anders Thulin Go to last post
2 963
looking for... again by Thomas Burchardt
Hi friends a little "off-topic" but i'm looking for a chess coin set from germany! pictu http://de.photos.yahoo.com/bc/seagram2de/lst?.dir=/&.view=t&.src=ph&.done=+ I hope some one can help! Please contact me by mail!!!
July 5th 03 04:26 PM
by Thomas Burchardt Go to last post
0 758
Try to win from this position... by Hans Meier
Here is the position in FEN format: r4rk1/2q2pp1/2bppb1p/p1p5/1n1PP3/1BN1RN2/1PPQ1PPP/3R2K1 b You are black. Black to move. Respond with your move in the subject line. I will respond with White's move. You can use a computer. Good luck
July 5th 03 03:46 PM
by Ted Go to last post
3 816
Who is this person ? by Gunny Bunny
Question: Anyone know this person ? I never heard of her ! http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/story.jsp?story=421562 Syrian chess fanatic makes a bizarre move on Cordiant By Nigel Cope City Editor 04 July 2003 A glamorous Syrian woman who used to be married to a middle eastern military intermediary has emerged as the mystery investor who has bought a 2 per cent stake in Cordiant,...
July 5th 03 08:46 AM
by Magic_BumWind Go to last post
1 862
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by Southpaw
Hmmm... You shouldn't make assumptions. I'm a long way from being a Fischer fanatic, and he is certainly not my idol, hero or whatever else you'd like to imagine. Frankly I much prefer Spassky and always have. But there's a world of difference between a World Champion's mistake (and I certainly accept that his idea was probably a mistake) and what we amateurs would call a blunder. A beginner may...
July 5th 03 06:33 AM
by Louis Blair Go to last post
1 886
Happy Birthday !! by Jerzy
Happy Birthday to all American chessplayers and citizens !! :) Jerzy
July 4th 03 06:17 PM
by King Leopold Go to last post
1 864
World Open 2003 by Tom E.
"King Leopold" wrote in message ... Any links to see results of the 2003 World Open? www.worldopen.com Larry Christianssen is at #2. I wonder if that is "LarryC" over on ICC. It's gotta be. Tom
July 4th 03 06:03 PM
by King Leopold Go to last post
1 808
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by Joshua B. Lilly
But Richard Réti said "After P-K4, White`s game is in its final throes." "Alex" wrote in message ... Bobby Fischer once said that "1. e4 is best for test" And it seems he might be correct....it does allow two pieces to develop and you can castle on the king side faster.
July 4th 03 05:21 PM
by Joshua B. Lilly Go to last post
2 968
Is a crowned bishop (moves like B or K) as powerful as a rook? by Neil Fernandez
I was wondering to what extent the inferiority of the B's strength relative to the R's is explained by the fact that the B can only reach half the board. Does this account for all or almost all of the inferiority, or less than almost all? Or maybe if this factor could be 'counter-balanced' exactly, the B would become theoretically stronger than the R? Which led to the following question. If a B...
July 4th 03 01:22 PM
by Neil Fernandez Go to last post
5 986
Yahoo chess doesn't satisfy by Joshua B. Lilly
Joshua B. Lilly wrote: "FICS is the best non-pay place for chess." Richard B. Becker wrote: "I never understand when people bad mouth FICS like this."
July 4th 03 02:48 AM
by Joshua B. Lilly Go to last post
0 746
looking for by Thomas Burchardt
Hi friends a little "off-topic" but i'm looking for a chess coin set from germany! pictu http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/8ec6949d/bc/schach.jpg?bcY6LB_A4rqjs5JC I hope some one can help! Please contact me by mail!!!
July 4th 03 01:29 AM
by Thomas Burchardt Go to last post
0 777
Blitz repertoire article? by Richard Stanz
"Ted" wrote in message ... Some time ago (last year I think) on some website somebody wrote an article or a series of articles describing a special repertoire for blitz chess. The Accelerated Dragon was part of this repertoire. Now I can't find the site anymore. If anybody knows what I am talking about, please post the...
July 3rd 03 11:26 PM
by Ted Go to last post
1 1,008
Petrosian vs Spassky by Jim
Spassky +10 =53 -11 Petrosian Source: Warriors of the Mind, Keene & Divinsky "Etj718" wrote in message ... What was the lifetime score between Petrosian and Spassky?I have heard when Petrosian defeated Spassky in the 1966 World Champioship Match it was considered an upset.Could anyone elaborate?Or perhaps it was not an upset...
July 3rd 03 10:05 PM
by Jim Go to last post
0 872
Secret Soviet Training Methods by Ivan
I went to a scholastic tournament last weekend and noticed a man passing out flyers for chess lessons. I took a flyer and saw that he was advertising chess lessons and that he was knowledgable with the secret Soviet Training methods and uses them with his teaching. After reading this statement, I feel really sorry for all the parents and kids that believed it because I don't think that such an...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
July 3rd 03 09:03 PM
by Iain Gourlay Go to last post
18 1,426
Why do some people play 1. d4 or 1.c4 ??? by chessanalyst
Chiaromondo wrote: 1. e4 is extremely marginally statistically worse than 1. d4, because of the Sicilian. Well comps are not afraid of the Sicilian you know :) With proper analysis, White maybe even can achieve a slight advantage against c5 (in theory), eg. against the Sveshnikov by playing Nd5 instead of Bg5. For example 7.Nd5 Nxd5
July 3rd 03 06:02 PM
by chessanalyst Go to last post
2 950
connect pc to chess table? how? wood screws work for me! by marc margolies
or perhaps Elmer's carpenters glue! there is besides, dgt, a russian company which offers a similar product. The principle use of these boards are for broadcasting. A direct connection to the internet is possible and also video demonstration boards without an attendant/volunteer. The DGT board has the advantage of more support within topnotch commercial playing engines. It is also USB, which --...
July 3rd 03 09:01 AM
by marc margolies Go to last post
0 948
NYC Chess Community by Jerry
For polls regarding chess in NYC join this site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NYCChessCommunity/
July 3rd 03 04:07 AM
by Jerry Go to last post
0 955
Zhing Zhing by Nick
OT: This post discusses naming conventions, the real subject of this thread. "Bill Smythe" wrote in message ... "PJDBAD" wrote: ... I think the fact that Chinese "last names" are spoken first and should be also written that way is fairly well known.... Even the phrase "last name" is prejudicial (Jerome Bibuld might...
July 2nd 03 11:37 PM
by Nick Go to last post
1 1,020
Open Chess Tournament Los Angeles by Panjandrum11
Chess Players Rule! You make excellent executive decisions, relish complexity, and foresee what is most crucial and relevant. We, the devoted, daring, and driven members of the Exposition Park Chess Club consider you a kindred spirit. We warmly invite your participation in our chess club. This coming first Saturday of the month, July 5th, will be the occasion of a free, unrated, three-round ...
July 2nd 03 10:49 PM
by Panjandrum11 Go to last post
0 1,037
Post New Thread