Post New Thread
Threads in Forum : rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can You Identify The GM? by Offramp
I drew a picture of a GM. Can you guess who it is? https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11887953_967606559947267_5266249313670959082_n.jpg?oh=3268922d8ed433d01ded2379ab44e284&oe=566DE9B6
August 26th 15 07:24 PM
by None Go to last post
6 408
3rd Sinquefield Cup 2015 by Offramp
This is not as strong as last year. The loss of just a few points has taken the average Elo from just above 2800 in 2014 to just under this year. It is in St Louis. I wonder if Sam Sloan will try to go along? This is the field: Magnus Carlsen (2853) NOR Viswanathan Anand (2816) IND Veselin Topalov (2816) BUL Hikaru Nakamura (2814) USA Fabiano Caruana (2797) USA
August 25th 15 10:11 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
3 279
chess image by Eliyahu
Bs'd Does anybody know where I can find the poster "The pin is mightier than the sword"?
August 25th 15 07:02 AM
by Eliyahu Go to last post
0 289
Leonard Barden: the low point of my chess career by Offramp
1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.O-O Be7 6.d4 exd4 7.e5 Ne4 8.Nxd4 Nxd4 9.Qxd4 Nc5 10.Nc3 O-O 11.Be3 Nxa4 12.Qxa4 d5 13.Rad1 c6 14.Qb3 Qc7 15.f4 b5 16.Ne2 Rd8 17.Ng3 Bf8 18.c3 Bb7 19.Qc2 c5 20.Qf2 Rac8 21.Rc1 Qd7 22.f5 d4 23.Bg5 Re8 24.e6 fxe6 25.f6 Qf7 26.cxd4 c4 27.Qf4 g6 28.Bh6 Bxh6 29.Qxh6 Red8 30.Qe3 Rd5 31.h4 Rcd8 32.Rf4 e5 33.dxe5 Rd3 34.Qe1 Rd2 35.Rf2 Rxf2 36.Qxf2 Qd5 37.Re1 Re8...
August 23rd 15 08:35 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 308
Chess Statue by Offramp
http://en.chessbase.com/portals/4/files/news/2015/events/rubinstein_memorial/Picture%20number%2030.jpg This is a statue of, I am told, Akiva Rubinstein from some hell-hole in Poland. By the way, Rubinstein was RUSSIAN. When you make a statue of a human, only the face is crucial. 95% of it, the rest of the head, the entire body and its clothing, are interchangeable with almost any other human....
August 21st 15 08:29 PM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
1 342
One match destroyed them by Offramp
Andrei Sokolov lost to Karpov 4-0 with 7 draws in 1986. Tony Miles lost 5-0 with one draw to Kasparov also in 1986. Both players seemed to have their ambition sucked out of them by these losses. I'm sure there are others...
August 21st 15 06:16 PM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
4 301
A year ago: the FIDÉ Veterans support prgramme by Offramp
Here is something that was announced in September 2014. https://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/8264-veterans-support-programme.html I am wondering if anything has happened since then? I am also puzzled by the choice of recipients. Leonard Barden has a steady job at The London Evening Standard. I thought Spassky made reasonable money from the St Stephen match with Fischer. I...
August 20th 15 08:01 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
1 299
Which is stronger, USA or Russia? by Offramp
The next US Champs will have: Caruana 2808 Nakamura 2798 So 2788 Kamsky 2683 Will that be a lower or higher average than the top four in the Russian Championships? I think the US Ch is becoming very strong.
August 19th 15 02:58 PM
by MikeMurray[_2_] Go to last post
8 342
Lecho v LiChao by Offramp
Peter Leko is being beaten 2-0 with 2 draws in Szeged. http://en.chessbase.com/post/li-chao-leads-in-szeged Szeged looks very pretty. I suppose it's the centre of the place where Szekels come from. Dracula was a Szekel, or he is in Bram Stoker's book.
August 19th 15 06:37 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 307
The birth of a brand new opening: Chithambaram's Attack by raylopez99
On Monday, August 17, 2015 at 1:26:56 PM UTC+8, Offramp wrote: It is white's second move that gives this game its historicalosity. Black, who must be an idiot, thought for 30 minutes before playing 2...d6. Black lost on time? RL
August 19th 15 04:53 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
0 314
Why newsgroups die or why they live by Phil Innes
Mostly NGs die because people don't talk from their own experience and are content to put down that of others. This NG has struggled with this, and Sloan-type diversions, for years. Even so, Sloan has the balls to put up his own games, wins and losses. That's what it takes to make a NG actually interesting. How many geniuses have I encountered here who never volunteered even a single game of...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
August 19th 15 04:48 AM
by raylopez99 Go to last post
14 652
Fortean Times Article about Kirsan by Offramp
The current Fortean Times, issue 331, September 2015, has on pages 50, 51 & 52, an article about Ilyumzhinov's dealings with chess and aliens. It cites Eddie Winter's web-page frequently. Those of you with iphones or ipads might be able to see the issue for free.
August 18th 15 06:58 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 249
Leko: What are his chances? by Offramp
Tai Pruce-Zimmerman ("Chess By The Numbers") published the first super-early prediction (based on a probabilitic model) of results at the upcoming World Cup in Baku, Azerbaijan. According to this model, Leko's chances are rather low: 0.9% for Candidates berth. See this interesting page: https://chessnumbers.wordpress.com/world-championship-cycle-2014-2016/2015-world-cup/
August 17th 15 02:28 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
1 312
As above, so below... by Offramp
AS ABOVE SO BELOW "Smyslov and Anand only played one game of chess, a draw at Groningen, Holland in 1989. But now that terrestrial encounter is set to be replayed on the celestial stage. Minor planet 5413 Smyslov and Minor planet 4538 Vishyanand are due to collide on Monday, 2nd October 2015. The winner of that encounter goes on to collide with Minor planet 90414 Karpov in the final in March...
August 16th 15 11:53 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 229
Chess Comet Smyslov by Offramp
That most un-cometlike chess player Smyslov has an asteroid named after him. It is minor planet 5413. It is scheduled to colide with the earth on Wednesday, August 20th 2021 with an impact 220,000 Yottatonnes of TNT. Minor planet 4538 is named Vishyanand. That asteroid has no plans for earth destruction. The biggest danger is Chess Comet Charousek. The last time that came close to the earth...
August 15th 15 09:50 AM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 226
Here's Mikey!!! by raylopez99
On Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 5:54:46 AM UTC+8, 52% wrote: The old timer gets done like a donut, tsk: Why are you so obsessed by a middle-age Englishman, you pervert? This has been going on for quite some time. At one time you even had your name as some variant of Mr. Adam's name if memory servers... RL
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
August 14th 15 11:20 PM
by Jack Ryan Go to last post
20 876
Caruana the new champ! by Offramp
"At long last I am able to say a few words of my own. I have never wanted to withhold anything, but until now it has not been possible for me to speak.. A few hours ago I discharged my last duty as World Chess Champion, and now that I have been succeeded by my friend, Fabiano Caruana, my first words must be to declare my allegiance to him. This I do with all my heart. You all know the reasons...
August 14th 15 03:08 AM
by The Horny Goat Go to last post
2 275
Russian Ch by Offramp
THE Russian Superfinals are on in the unfortunately named Chita in Russia. In the old USSR this was by miles the hardest ch in the world. But now I think the USA ch might be harder. The contestants a Igor Lysyj, Dmitry Jakovenko, Denis Khismatullin, Sergey Karjakin, Evgeny Tomashevsky, Peter Svidler, Nikita Vitiugov, Vladislav Artemiev, Alexander Motylev, Ivan Bukavshin, Ildar Khairullin,...
August 13th 15 05:01 PM
by Offramp Go to last post
0 212
Fischer's rating in 1992 by Offramp
Spassky's January 1992 rating was 2545 So 10 wins = 2945x10 = 29,450 15 draws = 2545x15 = 38,175 5 losses = 2145x5 = 10,725 Total = 78,350 / 30 = 2611.667, or round up to 2612. Fischer was 2612 in 1992.
August 11th 15 11:53 PM
by Rainer[_2_] Go to last post
1 250
Gelfand's assault on the world title by Offramp
Chessbase has an article about Gelfand's attempt to climb the chess Olympus. http://en.chessbase.com/post/album-61-an-intimate-award-winning-documentary The problem is that I remember his attempt to climb Everest as being very half-hearted indeed. He seemed to put very little effort into the classical games at all. He sort of got to base camp then caled off the mission.
August 10th 15 12:00 AM
by Euclides Zoto[_3_] Go to last post
1 244
Post New Thread