Serious and Honest question

Old July 14th 03, 08:12 AM
Dajavoo104

Default Serious and Honest question

How do you play chess by email? Sounds intresting would someone please be kind
enough and explain this to me. I would like to learn how. Thank you to all who
read this and take the time out to answer my question.
Checkmate
Old July 14th 03, 11:56 PM
Joel DeWyer

Well, my friend, there are a couple of ways to play-by-email.

One of the easiest and most player friendly ways is to play through a
service offered by a website. You might consider checking out
www.gameknot.com or www.atlanticchess.com. What is wonderful about this
method is that the website provides a graphical representation of the
current board position of the games you're playing, so, when you log on to
the site you can visually see the game progress. This method is good for
those players interested in playing a number of correspondence games
simultaneously.

The other method that I have used in the past is to simply play through
e-mail. Basically, you and your opponent decide who will be playing with
the white pieces and who will be playing with the black and you e-mail your
moves back and forth to each other using algebraic notation or whatever
other method of recording you and your opponent have agreed upon. For
example:

White: Joe Schmoe
Black: John Doe
Date: July 14, 2003

1. d4 Nf6
2. c4 e6
3. Nc3 Bb4 etc, etc.

Personally, I love you correspondence chess over e-mail. It has really
helped me develop my knowledge and understanding of opening theory and I can
patiently examine the middlegame and take my time to figure out the right
plan for the position.

Good luck with your games.

Old July 15th 03, 09:50 PM
Greenjeans Chess

I agree that the web interface is the way to go with email chess. I
play at Caissa's Web (http://caissa.com) which has the most
full-featured interface I have found. They are called "Correspondence
Games" there.

Old July 17th 03, 12:31 AM
Loki

I am currently playing my first email chess game. I got some help and
advice on here. I used to try just emailing the moves back and forth with
my brother, but somewhere along the line someone would always make a
mistake. And sometimes it was not noticeable for four or five moves.
Usually would go something like, "29. Qxc4+" and then, "I don't have a
piece on c4. What do you have? And then we give up.

The answer to all these problems was a very nice piece of software called,
"ECTool." It's a program that sets up a board and you move the pieces on
the board as you would playing Fritz or a Chessbase database file. When you
make a move you click "Save" and it automatically formats it to a PGN file.
And if the other person is using ECtool as well, his game proceeds the same
way. The vest part is you can set it up with Outlook Express. You can send
your moves from ECtool to an address book inside of ECtool. It
automatically connects to Outlook Express and away it goes. And when you
get an email, ECtool will open it and automatically update the opponent's
move. So when you open the saved game the position will open with his move
already made.

The cost was cheap and I think it's free upgrades for life. He has an
ECtool light that was free that I used for a little while.

The website is: http://www.ectool.nu/

The guy that creates it seems like he has a great time doing it. If you're
not familiar with setting up email accounts you might want to get some help.
It's a bit tricky setting up the ECtool with Outlook if you're not familiar
with how to set up an email account on Outlook Express.

Having said that, if you want to play a game let me know. I am almost done
with a game I am playing now. I've been playing it for about 8 weeks now.
A move every two or three days (I usually reply the same day). I am about
1400 USCF.

Good luck!

Old July 20th 03, 01:31 AM
Jim Bridgeford

checkmate said,
How do you play chess by email? Sounds intresting would someone please be
kind
enough and explain this to me. I would like to learn how. Thank you to all
who
read this and take the time out to answer my question.
Checkmate
=========
Im new myself, mate. But I can tell you this much. If you are talking about
email chess, then you simply post your first move, e4, for example. You must
also, include a list of all previous moves, including yours. If you are not
already, obviously, you need to familiarize yourself with Chess notation.
Chess email requires you to cut and paste previous moves so to expedite game
notation.
Jim

Old July 20th 03, 05:04 PM
Andras Galos

I know another way to play chess by email.
Server based games and tournaments are really great because
there is no way to take invalid moves that are discovered
several moves later (as Loki said), and there are many features
that a server can offer for its players.
And web interfaces are great also, the graphical view of the
boards and other features are well usable. Although this needs
more online time.
The other way is playing server based correspondence games via
email. E4EC is dedicated to this.
This compares to the traditional way of playing email chess
games. And there is a server which gives many features not
available in the traditional way.
Due to html messages, graphical board representation is
available in email messages also, but using the traditional PGN
format is also possible.
I know, playing games in email is not as easy as clicking on web
pages, but nor hard or complicated. It is good especially for
those who play many games simultaneously, who gather opponents'
moves and send replies alongside their other email messages.

So, if you are interested, please check www.e4ec.org to see more
about this type of playing.

Regards, and good games,
Andras Galos