Gambit book: How to use Computers for chess

Old August 13th 03, 10:52 AM
xyz

Default Gambit book: How to use Computers for chess

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 22:17:14 +0200, "Christian Kongsted"
wrote:

My new book about computer chess is out now. Questions about the content are
welcome.

HOW TO USE COMPUTERS TO IMPROVE YOUR CHESS (Christian Kongsted)

Hi Christian,
Are there any reviews yet on the internet?
URL's are welcome.
Cheers,
[email protected]

Old August 13th 03, 06:27 PM
Nonyz

I couldn't see the Table of Contents at the link you provided, it'd
give people a good idea about the well... contents, if you could list
it out here.

"Christian Kongsted" wrote in message . dk...
Not yet any reviews (as far as I know). The book has only been out for one
week.

I will post URL's here when they come

Best wishes,
Christian

Old August 13th 03, 07:06 PM
Randy Bauer

wrote:

My new book about computer chess is out now. Questions about the content are
welcome.

HOW TO USE COMPUTERS TO IMPROVE YOUR CHESS (Christian Kongsted)

Hi Christian,
Are there any reviews yet on the internet?
URL's are welcome.
Cheers,
[email protected]

I just received my review copy this week. I have looked through it a
bit - it's an interesting topic for a book. I expect to good through
it more carefully and review it in the next 2-3 weeks.

Randy Bauer
Old August 14th 03, 12:23 AM
Christian Kongsted

Default Table of contents

Ok, below you will find a table of contents in a non-formated version.

"Nonyz" skrev i en meddelelse
m...
I couldn't see the Table of Contents at the link you provided, it'd
give people a good idea about the well... contents, if you could list
it out here.

Table of Contents:

Introduction

Part I: How the Computer Works

Chapter 1 The History of Computer Chess

The first mechanical machine

Early developments

Haunted by 'bugs'

A computer program becomes a master

Playing the world champ

Mount Everest grows

The myth of Deep Blue

Chapter 2 Inside the Machine

The search tree

The alpha-beta algorithm and extensions

'Gimme your best shot!' - the null-move

Razoring

The evaluation function

The engine output

Chapter 3 The Blind Spots of the Computer

Positional problems deriving from the 'horizon effect'

Building fortresses

Materialism and king safety

More on sacrifices

Aggressiveness and lack of planning

Closed positions

Activity of the pieces

Zugzwang positions

Lack of endgame knowledge

Positional evaluation and exceptions from rules

The good, the bad and the active bishop

Chapter 4 How to Beat Your Computer

Anti-computer strategies

The computer's opening book

Openings and move orders for White

Game examples for White

Openings and move orders for Black

Game examples for Black

Summary of the anti-computer strategy

Part II: Improving with the Computer

Chapter 5 Hardware, Software and Databases

Databases

Database programs

Playing programs

Alternatives to ChessBase programs

Optimizing the program

'Handicapping' the program

Tutorial programs and opening CD's

Computer hardware

Electronic chessboards

Chapter 6 Computer-assisted Analysis

Expanding the horizon

Playing out positional plans

Automatic computer analysis

Analysing your games with the computer

Chapter 7 Improving Your Opening Play

Constructing your own databases

Studying opening and middlegame ideas

The 'Opening report'

The Repertoire Database

Transpositions

Checking variations and creating novelties

Learning a new opening

Chapter 8 Improve your tactics

Playout exercises

Solutions

Chapter 9 Improve Your Endgame Technique

Playing out endgame positions

Playout exercises

Solutions

Chapter 10 Playing Chess on the Internet

A few search tips for ICC

Chapter 11 Computer Chess In the Future

Bookmarks on the Internet

Bibliography

Old August 14th 03, 07:57 AM
Patrick Neal

Thanks!
I've been waiting for this type of book for a long time!
I'll definitely purchase a copy.

Thanks again!

"Christian Kongsted" wrote in message
k...
Ok, below you will find a table of contents in a non-formated version.

m...