Computer Use in Correspondence Games

Old October 24th 03, 07:23 PM
Chris

Default Computer Use in Correspondence Games

In general is it fair to use a computer in the following manner for
correspondence chess?

1. Do online database searches for the current position and review the
games that took place.

2. Play against a computer with the the current position as the starting
point. No analysis just playing.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

Old October 24th 03, 07:48 PM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear Chris,

Heil Dubya!

I am NOT a correspondence chess god -- but I've been playing correspondence
chess for close to 50 years and email chess for the last 15 or 20 of those
years, so I'll take a shot at your question by telling you how I use my
computer.

Firstly, I use my AOL mail subroutines and my ChessAssistant program as
databases for record keeping.

Secondly, I use my ChessAssistant program almost exactly as I do my MCOs and
other opening (printed) books.

Thirdly, if I had an endgame (manual) program, I would use it as I do my
Averbakh and Fine (printed) books.

Fourthly, *I* analyze the position on my ChessAssistant program, by moving the
men around, as I will, taking back moves, as I will, going back to the position
in question and restarting the analysis, as I will.

Fifthly, I DO NOT ALLOW ANY COMPUTER PROGRAM TO ANALYZE THE POSITIONS -- PAST,
PRESENT OR FUTURE -- OF ANY GAME IN PROGRESS. (I think, therefore, that you
are in serious error if you "Play against a computer with the current position
as the starting point. No analysis just playing." I believe that that is
allowing the computer to analyze the position, no matter how often you say, "No
analysis just playing."

You're welcome, in advance.

In general is it fair to use a computer in the following manner for
correspondence chess?

1. Do online database searches for the current position and review the
games that took place.

2. Play against a computer with the the current position as the starting
point. No analysis just playing.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan und Irak. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka uber Alles!

(Was 11 September 2001 Kristalnacht or the date of the Reichstag fire?)

Fraternally,

Jerome Bibuld
gens una sumus

Old October 26th 03, 04:16 AM
John C. Knudsen

"Chris" wrote in message ...
In general is it fair to use a computer in the following manner for
correspondence chess?

1. Do online database searches for the current position and review the
games that took place.

2. Play against a computer with the the current position as the starting
point. No analysis just playing.

Thanks in Advance

Chris

Hi Chris:

"Fair" is a relative term - it depends on the playing rules for a particular
organization. If an organization allows or does not prohibit computer use,
any such use is obviously "fair" - for example ICCF and IECG.

Using a database, or any other research material, is never a problem in
correspondence chess. And it has always been like that. Which is, by the
way, one of the main attractions to correspondence chess.

Using an engine to generate a move (or blunder check) is a hot topic.
Many organizations forbid this (USCF, CCLA, APCT, IECC, etc).

So the right answer to your question is not what I, or any other individual
thinks. The answer lies in the playing rules for a particular organization.

Hope this helped a bit.

Best Wishes,
John
Old November 25th 03, 04:31 PM
Euc1id

Yes.
Almost everybody does (probably 75%+), so you would be in the minority
otherwise (probably 25%-). That's just my guess, of course, but I play a lot
of CC so have a fairly good idea. I can almost always tell if my CC opponent
is using a computer, and in many cases what software they are using. That
can occasionally allow some expert anti-computer play. For example Fritz 8
is reluctant to capture on the e4 square in certain positions, a known bug.
--
Euc1id