Hidden conditional moves

Old January 16th 04, 01:50 AM
Sixty4

Default Hidden conditional moves

At my web site, www.playchess.de (online correspondence chess), I
consider to introduce conditional moves. This is well-known from
"classical" correspondence chess: "if you move this, I will answer
that". This can speed up the games, especially in the opening phase.

But I consider to introduce "hidden conditional moves" and I would
like to read your opinion about that.

Example:

After 1.e4 you enter the conditional moves

- 1...e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3
- 1...c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4

If your opponent replies with 1...e5, then 2.f4 is made immediately -
even if you are not online. He himself sees your move 2.f4 immediately
*after* his own. This sequence continues until he deviates from your
conditional move sequences (or until there are no conditional moves to
follow).

Your opponent does *not* see which conditionals you entered, but he
can see that there are *some* conditionals waiting "in the
background".

What do you think about this method?
Is it okay to hide the conditional moves - or is the classical method
(as used by the major CC organizations) better?

Thanks in advance!
Thomas - http://www.playchess.de
Old January 16th 04, 07:25 AM
Douglas L Stewart

I think that hidden conditional moves are preferred. Visible conditional
moves are a necessity in classical correspondence chess because there is no
way to do them in a hidden manner. In the case of online correspondence
games on a web site it is a whole different story.

I don't think it is necessary to let the opponent know there are any
conditional moves entered.

---
Douglas Stewart

m...

Old January 16th 04, 04:15 PM
Alex Brunetti

"Douglas L Stewart" ha scritto nel messaggio

I think that hidden conditional moves are preferred. Visible conditional
moves are a necessity in classical correspondence chess because there is

no
way to do them in a hidden manner. In the case of online correspondence
games on a web site it is a whole different story.

I don't think it is necessary to let the opponent know there are any
conditional moves entered.

I totally agree.

Alex