Turn based / email chess - recommended web sites?

Old February 7th 04, 11:57 PM
Jestrada

Default Turn based / email chess - recommended web sites?

Which are the most popular/recommended turn-based (email type) chess web sites?

I have heard of the following:
http://www.chessworld.net
http://www.itsyourturn.net
http://www.gameknot.com
http://www.redhotpawn.com
http://www.playchess.de

Are these all free?
Any important sites that should be added to the above list?
Any of the above that is especially recommended? (or NOT recommended?)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old February 8th 04, 01:08 AM
Gregory Topov

"Jestrada" wrote in message
om...
Which are the most popular/recommended turn-based (email type) chess web

sites?

I have heard of the following:
http://www.chessworld.net
http://www.itsyourturn.net
http://www.gameknot.com
http://www.redhotpawn.com
http://www.playchess.de

Are these all free?
Any important sites that should be added to the above list?
Any of the above that is especially recommended? (or NOT recommended?)

The FAQ ( http://chess.kearman.com/html/pbefaq.htm ) also lists these, but I
haven't tried them, so other users will have to comment on which ones are
worth playing at:
http://www.slowchess.com
http://postcardchess.com/
http://www.soundkeepers.com/chess/e_...hess/index.php
--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 8th 04, 02:21 AM
Steven Wayne

On 7 Feb 2004 15:57:12 -0800, Jestrada wrote:
Which are the most popular/recommended turn-based (email type) chess web sites?

I have heard of the following:
http://www.chessworld.net
http://www.itsyourturn.net
http://www.gameknot.com
http://www.redhotpawn.com
http://www.playchess.de

Are these all free?
Any important sites that should be added to the above list?
Any of the above that is especially recommended? (or NOT recommended?)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chessworld has free access, but is limited, but is only 10UKP or
15USD per year ( I am a member ) once a member there is a lot on
the site.

I have not played on itsyourturn.com.

Gameknot is good, well presented, and will allow free access. It
seems the most expensive of the sites, but I suppose you get what
you pay for. Again limited for non-paying members.

Redhotpawn has a clean interface, limits non-paying members to
six concurrent games. Also not expensive to join.

Playchess.de will allow, I believe, 90 days of access before you
have to pay or leave. The site's not bad, but I left.

There is also http://www.schemingmind.com, cleanest interface of
all the sites I've played on. The owner is updating the site as
members make requests.

And there's Cowplay.com, not lookng interface, but the damn board
keeps jumping around as you click on a square.

Steven
--
Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.
-- Frederic Chopin
Old February 8th 04, 05:56 AM
Douglas G Coulter

icc now has turn based chess.
its got promise, but they really need to update their blitzen software
so that its easy to enter moves etc.

Something amazes me. Ten years ago before the web took off, I was
playing on the USA network. The interface was simple and effective (even
compared to the web sites I see today!)although dues were high. I would
have thought that posting moves to a common site (as opposed to
exchanging email between players) would have been the preference for
correspondence on the web. But until recently e-mail chess has
predominated. Was it that there was little in the way of dedicated
correspondence servers on the web (USA network closed down long ago) or
is exchanging moves by email simply more comfortable for ex-postal
players?

Old February 8th 04, 01:03 PM
Morten Gulbrandsen

I have appended some chess servers,
Here you can play turned based chess,

http://correspondencechess.com/cgi-bin/board.pl

http://deepfrozen.tripod.com

http://echess.co.za

http://itsyourturn.com

http://playchess.kearman.com/

http://postcardchess.com

http://www.a1h8.com

http://www.atlanticchess.com

http://www.chessatwork.com

http://www.chessfriend.com

http://www.chessworld.net

http://www.e4ec.org/

http://www.goldtoken.com

http://www.itsyourturn.com

http://www.littlegolem.net

http://www.net-chess.com

http://www.playchess.de

http://www.redhotchess.com

http://www.redhotpawn.com

http://www.schildbach.de

http://www.soundkeepers.com/chess

http://www.timeforchess.com

Hope you find one you like,
on some of them I use to play.

Yours Sincerely

Morten Gulbrandsen

hlink.net...

Old February 8th 04, 10:07 PM
Andreas Schildbach

Jestrada wrote:

Which are the most popular/recommended turn-based (email type) chess web sites?

Have a look at http://www.schildbach.de - it's completely free (any
number of games) and its very easy to use.

Just sign up with Username + Password and you are ready to go!

Regards,

Andreas

--
Andreas Schildbach - Java J2EE software development and architecture
http://www.schildbach.de
Old February 9th 04, 01:24 PM
mafergut

"Jestrada" escribió en el mensaje
om...
Which are the most popular/recommended turn-based (email type) chess web

sites?

I have heard of the following:
http://www.chessworld.net
http://www.itsyourturn.net
http://www.gameknot.com
http://www.redhotpawn.com
http://www.playchess.de
[snip]

Hi. I have played on all this, except gameknot and, definitely my favorite
is ChessWorld.net, and in second place PlayChess.de. Both of them let you
play for free, but in playchess.de only for a time.

In ChessWorld.net you can play for free all you want but only five games at
a time. The full member fee, though, is small and you can access much more
tournaments and events being a full member. The site is fantastic in what
really matters: strong and serious players, many tournament types, you can
create your own tournaments (even thematic ones), team competitions, Rest of
World events (now were are playing against Jeremy Silman), ... the list goes
on and on.

You can access ChessWorld.net through this link and I'll be your referer ;-)
You can invite me for a game if you want and, yes, I'll be given two months
for free if you finally become a full (paying) member.
http://www.letsplaychess.com/chesscl...asp?from=48541

Hope to see you at ChessWorld.net. Regards,
mafergut

Old February 9th 04, 06:50 PM
Gregory Topov

"Jestrada" wrote in message
om...
Which are the most popular/recommended turn-based (email type) chess web

sites?

I have heard of the following:
http://www.redhotpawn.com

Note that the following websites are actually all the *same* turn-based
chess site:
http://www.chessatwork.com
http://www.timeforchess.com
http://www.redhotpawn.com
http://www.redhotchess.com

As explained here, each domain simply has a different "look":
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?id=3603

Old February 10th 04, 08:28 PM
T Pease

I guess that makes me a paying member of each of them. Took me about 8 days
to decide the site was great and pay the $15.

The cost is going up to $20 a year very soon if it has not done so yet. You
might want to check it out. It is free if you want to play 6 games or less
as a member.

Game times can be set to 3 days per move, 7, 14, or 21 I believe... and
they have just stared using what is called a timebank.

The time bank can also be set to 3, 7, etc extra days... once you have
missed your turn the timebank starts to tick away. This is great for people
who travel as they can set a good time bank meeting their needs.

Paying members have the option to join tournaments, or join chess teams
called "Clans". There is also a siege section that lets you play black to
defend... keep winning and you keep playing.

Have a good one!

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message
om...