Software for email

Old February 7th 04, 11:58 PM
Jestrada

Default Software for email

What software is most popular for recording/playing chess by email?
Old February 12th 04, 05:00 AM
Gregory Topov

"Melissa" wrote in message
What software is most popular for recording/playing chess by email?

I really like ECTool: http://www.ectool.nu/

ECTool is very good, but:
1. it seems designed for games where the moves are sent via email, so it
incorporates email functions (suitable for IECG games I would expect).
2. it doesn't seem to allow you to create/save variations as you play (or
have I missed this feature? if so, please tell us how to do this!)

SCID works fine for me - any other people use SCID to record correspondence
games?
I use it to record the games I play on turn-based sites like gameknot.com,
redhotpawn.com and chessworld.net, so I can try out variations and save my
annotations as I play.

--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 13th 04, 10:31 PM
Trog

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:00:09 -0500, "Gregory Topov"
wrote:

ECTool is very good, but:
1. it seems designed for games where the moves are sent via email, so it
incorporates email functions (suitable for IECG games I would expect).
2. it doesn't seem to allow you to create/save variations as you play (or
have I missed this feature? if so, please tell us how to do this!)

1. The EC stands for email chess which is why it has email functions,
which make it very use for games with email chess organisations such
as IECG, WCCF, IECC, E4EC etc.; but having email functions does not
stop you from using it for just recording games. Before I gave up
postal play - (too slow and expensive!) - I found it useful for
postal games as it keeps the game moves, reflection times & current
position all in one place.

2. Right click on the move list & select comments. This opens a window
with 2 panes. You can type directly into the left pane. Also moving
the pieces on the board pane inserts the moves into the left pane.
Saving the game also saves the comments associated with it. Comments
appear intergrated in the move list.

HTH
==
Trog
To reply remove shoes & replace ? and * with u

When I am right, no-one remembers.
When I am wrong, no-one forgets.
Old February 14th 04, 02:40 AM
Gregory Topov

"Trog" .*k wrote in message:
ECTool is very good, but:
2. it doesn't seem to allow you to create/save variations as you play (or
have I missed this feature? if so, please tell us how to do this!)

2. Right click on the move list & select comments. This opens a window
with 2 panes. You can type directly into the left pane. Also moving
the pieces on the board pane inserts the moves into the left pane.
Saving the game also saves the comments associated with it. Comments
appear intergrated in the move list.

Thanks for your reply Trog. Doing this does indeed integrate the moves into
the comments window. However, it doesn't allow you to play through the
variations by merely clicking on the moves in the comments window. So it's
not quite what I was hoping for.
In this respect I find SCID quite superior to ECTool. SCID allows you to
enter variations as well as comments, and enables you to actually play
through the variations by clicking on the alternative variation line.
Of course SCID doesn't have email capabilities, and in that respect is not
as suitable for email chess.

Old February 14th 04, 12:13 PM
Trog

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:40:35 -0500, "Gregory Topov"
wrote:

"Trog" .*k wrote in message:
ECTool is very good, but:
[...]

I've not tried SCID but glancing at their website it appears quite
impressive. Does it allow you to copy the moves to the clipboard for
pasting into an email? If so, this may be your solution.

Another program you may find worth looking at is Chessbase. There is a
version called Chessbase Lite which is free. The "paid for" version
can produce output suitable for correspondence & email games but I'm
not sure about the free version.

==

Old February 14th 04, 03:05 PM
Gregory Topov

"Trog" .*k wrote in message
In this respect I find SCID quite superior to ECTool. SCID allows you to
enter variations as well as comments, and enables you to actually play
through the variations by clicking on the alternative variation line.
Of course SCID doesn't have email capabilities, and in that respect is

not
as suitable for email chess.

I've not tried SCID but glancing at their website it appears quite
impressive. Does it allow you to copy the moves to the clipboard for
pasting into an email? If so, this may be your solution.

Another program you may find worth looking at is Chessbase. There is a
version called Chessbase Lite which is free. The "paid for" version
can produce output suitable for correspondence & email games but I'm
not sure about the free version.

SCID is totally free, and I've just discovered that it does have email
exporting capabilities. Not only does it allow you to copy moves to the
clipboard, it goes one better: it has the ability to integrate exporting and
sending directly via email (but I don't think monitoring and receiving email
to the extent that ECTool does). I haven't figured out exactly how to do it
yet, but it's there under --Tools--Email Manager.
Those not familiar with SCID can check it out he
http://scid.sourceforge.net

Old February 23rd 04, 06:58 PM
Nabuco

ECTOOL, in http://www.ectool.nu/

"Jestrada" escribió en el mensaje
om...
What software is most popular for recording/playing chess by email?