Number of correspondence chess games at once?

Old February 9th 04, 11:13 PM
Gregory Topov

Default Number of correspondence chess games at once?

Question for all you correspondence chess players out there (whether by
email, or turn-based web-site):
How many games do you normally play at the same time?
What's your record?
--
Gregory Topov
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan

Old February 10th 04, 02:14 AM
Steven Wayne

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 17:13:19 -0500, Gregory Topov
wrote:
Question for all you correspondence chess players out there (whether by
email, or turn-based web-site):
How many games do you normally play at the same time?
What's your record?

I have played on six sites at one, with a total of 48 games.
However there's a guy on www.chessworld.net with 621.

Steven
--
Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.
-- Frederic Chopin
Old February 10th 04, 12:50 PM
mafergut

"Gregory Topov" escribió en el mensaje
Question for all you correspondence chess players out there (whether by
email, or turn-based web-site):
How many games do you normally play at the same time?
What's your record?

I usually have between 10 and 30, my record being 37 or something like that.
But I'm not comfortable with more that 20 or so games, depending on the
pace. I play on a site ("mafergut" at ChessWorld.net, by the way) and the
problem with email chess compared with postal chess is a relatively faster
pace. I have read of a record in postal chess being about a thousand games
or more, don't remember exactly. I don't think anybody could manage a
thousand email games. I know of players in my site that manage about a
hundred games or more but even that seems a considerable amount to me.

If I want to play serious correspondence chess, I need some time to analyse
the position (except in already analysed variants when I only check it out a
little and make my move). With my free time available that's not more that
two complicated games a day, perhaps even less. With pace ranging from 5
days to 20 days a move, that's not more that 15-20 games at once. Actually I
end having free time problems and sometimes being forced to make a move in
15 minutes or so, to "dispatch" a large number or games close to the time
limit, and that is almost OTB tournament pace, which is what I tried to
avoid by playing correspondence chess. So, I need to get down from my actual
30 games to 10 - 15 at most.

Regards,
mafergut

Old February 10th 04, 06:29 PM
Sixty4

The maximum number of concurrent games allowed at my site
(playchess.de) is 80.

When I "invented" this limit, I couldn't imagine that anybody would
come close to that number. But believe it or not: some players even
asked me to increase this limit - they actually play 80 games in
parallel!

I guess the "right" number depends very much on your personal style.
If you are playing just for fun (as many do), you can make your move
within 60 seconds or so. But "serious" correspondence chess requires
much more time.

Personally, I feel comfortable with 5-10 games.

Thomas - http://www.playchess.de

Old February 11th 04, 06:27 PM
Gregory Topov

"Gregory Topov" wrote in message
Question for all you correspondence chess players out there (whether by
email, or turn-based web-site):
How many games do you normally play at the same time?

A sample:
-At redhotpawn.com, my current opponent is currently playing 79 games
concurrently!
-At chessworld.net, my current opponent is currently playing 68 games.
-At gameknot.com, my current opponent is currently playing 6 games (which is
the maximum for free members)
I wonder how they can keep track of their ideas in so many games!

What are the limits for number of concurrent games that can be played at the
different sites for free?

Old February 12th 04, 01:15 PM
Sixty4

What are the limits for number of concurrent games that can be played at the
different sites for free?

At playchess.de you can play up to 10 games as a guest.

Paying members can keep notes of their games at the PlayChess site. I
guess this makes it easier for such players.

Thomas - http://www.playchess.de
Old February 24th 04, 02:02 PM
Euclid

That isn't correspondence chess. It's internet/online chess with a special
server. Correspondence chess includes postal (snailmail) and email chess
only, IMHO. Although you could include communication by fax or amateur radio
too, those are rare forms of correspondence chess. I only play
correspondence chess, never internet/online chess.

With that clarification, it depends a lot on your record keeping system. If
you're using paper & ink only, & a regular chessboard, then somewhere around
25-30 games seems near the maximum. With the advantage of computerized
record keeping and chess database systems and electronic chessboards, that
maximum approximately doubles to 50-60 games. I doubt that anyone can play
decent correspondence chess at the Master level if carrying more than those
amounts.
--
Euclid

om...

Old March 15th 04, 01:20 AM
Sixty4

"Euclid" wrote in message ink.net...
That isn't correspondence chess. It's internet/online chess with a special
server. Correspondence chess includes postal (snailmail) and email chess
only, IMHO. Although you could include communication by fax or amateur radio
too, those are rare forms of correspondence chess. I only play
correspondence chess, never internet/online chess.

That's *your* definition. I would rather consider all slow games where
players do not at the same location to be correspondence chess.
The "transmission technology" plays only a minor role - as long as it
is good enough.

With that clarification, it depends a lot on your record keeping system. If
you're using paper & ink only, & a regular chessboard, then somewhere around
25-30 games seems near the maximum. With the advantage of computerized
record keeping and chess database systems and electronic chessboards, that
maximum approximately doubles to 50-60 games. I doubt that anyone can play
decent correspondence chess at the Master level if carrying more than those
amounts.

Agreed. But I never understood why so many players are proud of using
ancient technology and doing this book keeping themselves...

Thomas - http://www.playchess.de