Best Email/Web system for email chess?

Old June 22nd 04, 03:27 AM
Binary Sage

Default Best Email/Web system for email chess?

I'm wanting to start some email chess games with some of my friends but I
noticed that there are a lot of web based email chess systems out there.
Are there any recommendations on what is the best? I'm looking for PGN
support but would like to have either email notifications or better yet, a
html email with the board layout.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

--
=================================
com dot binarysage at timinator

Old June 22nd 04, 05:08 AM
Miguel

Let me introduce you to QueenAlice.com, an online chess club that I started
a few weeks ago.

The chess board is javascript based, which means that there are no programs
or java applets to download. The system sends you an email whenever it is
your turn to move. The email includes a direct link to the board page, it
didn't seem practical to send the board as html email since most email
clients will block javascript (but I can be convinced to send a static board
graphic if there is enough interest).

The game history is displayed in PGN format, with the ability to
interactively jump to any position in the game by clicking on the pgn move.
I'm also adding an option to download your games as a PGN file.

Membership at QueenAlice.com is free, and I do not impose limitations on the
number of concurrent games you can play. I am actively developing the site
so I need input and feedback from its members. You can find me in the Forums
if you have suggestions or comments.

If Queen Alice doesn't do it for you, other good places to play are
redhotpawn and schemingmind, but note that they carry a paid membership to
access all the features they offer.

Miguel
admin at QueenAlice.com

news:[email protected]

Old June 22nd 04, 03:08 PM
ChessManiac

Check out this site. It is completely free with no game limits. You
can join teams play in tournaments and get a rating. Play different
time limits from 1hr. to 14 days per move. This site is something
totally new. It takes the best of both the live chess and the
correspondence chess site and combines them to offer a very flexible
user rich chess community. This site is very new yet it already has
almost 3000 members. http://www.chessmaniac.com It is cutting edge.

The rumor is that IM GrandMaster Mecking is playing chess on this
site. His site name is Mr. M on the site.

Have fun!

Old June 22nd 04, 05:37 PM
Steven Wayne

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:27:16 -0700, Binary Sage
wrote:
I'm wanting to start some email chess games with some of my friends but I
noticed that there are a lot of web based email chess systems out there.
Are there any recommendations on what is the best? I'm looking for PGN
support but would like to have either email notifications or better yet, a
html email with the board layout.

Any suggestions?

In no particular order:

http://www.schemingmind.com/
http://www.chessworld.net/
http://www.redhotpawn.com/
http://www.queenalice.com/
http://www.chesscorner.net/

Steven
--
Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your
electronic communication? Consider this:
Old June 22nd 04, 09:42 PM
SchemingMind

redhotpawn and schemingmind, but note that they carry a paid membership to
access all the features they offer.

Not *strictly* true... there are several ways you can earn full,
unrestricted membership to SchemingMind.com, with payment being by far the
least popular!

--- In fact none of the many players converting to full membership in the
past six weeks have actually paid me anything so far :-(

And even if you don't become a full member, you can still play up to ten
games at a time (including Fischer Random games, CrazyHouse and our latest
addition; the ancient precursor to chess, Shatranj) and participate in 'all
play all' mini tournaments.

Cheers,
Austin - SchemingMind.com

Old June 23rd 04, 05:51 PM
Binary Sage

"Steven Wayne" wrote in message
In no particular order:

http://www.schemingmind.com/
http://www.chessworld.net/
http://www.redhotpawn.com/
http://www.queenalice.com/
http://www.chesscorner.net/

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to give queenalice a shot, mostly due
to the simplicity of getting started. Some of my chess friends are not very
computer savy and simplicity is good. Though I may try out schemingmind or
redhotpawn for finding other players.

Thanks again.

Tim
--
=================================

Old June 29th 04, 11:34 AM
Andras Galos

"Binary Sage" wrote:
I'm wanting to start some email chess games with some of my

friends but I
noticed that there are a lot of web based email chess systems

out there.
Are there any recommendations on what is the best? I'm

looking for PGN
support but would like to have either email notifications or

better yet, a
html email with the board layout.

As Melissa has already pointed out there is some difference
between sites offering correspondence chess via email and sites
offering web based chess with email notifications.

Most of the server based sites belong to the last group, but the
most traditional ones belong to the first one, as the IECC or
IECG.

But you should know about a server based site called E4EC, where
you can play correspondence chess games cleanly via email, no
web access required at all. It gives all the benefits of a
central server that manages the games and tournaments, but you
need only an email address to play your games with your friends.

I know this place is a bit more complicated than the web based
sites, that's true, at least at the beginning. But that's not a
problem for serious players who need the other benefits of this
type of play.

The PGN format is fully supported, many players play using PGN
with ECTool, MailChess, or else, as in the traditional email
based correspondence chess.
And it supports html messages with the board layout in them too
for those who don't use ECTool, or else.

Everything else (I hope) can be found on the website of the club
at www.e4ec.org.

Regards,
Andras Galos
E4EC