2003 World Open Statistics

Old July 7th 03, 07:02 PM
Ivan

Default 2003 World Open Statistics

That was a really strong open section this past week. There were over
35 GMs playing. I think there was a 10 way tie for first place so
each person wins almost $3000.

What is interesting is that the GMs that got 11th - 20th place will
only get $80 since they have to pay their entry fee.

I am sure Goicherg is very happy with this turnout. I somehow feel
this format is not really as good as it looks. It has really high
prize money but in order to win $14000, you have to be on top of a
really strong playing field. In the end, it just seems there is
always a log jam and everyone comes home empty handed. I think
Goichberg is a very smart man and all those chess players that pay
$200 are fools.
Old July 8th 03, 02:32 AM
Briarroot

Ivan wrote:

That was a really strong open section this past week. There were over
35 GMs playing. I think there was a 10 way tie for first place so
each person wins almost $3000.

What is interesting is that the GMs that got 11th - 20th place will
only get $80 since they have to pay their entry fee.

I am sure Goicherg is very happy with this turnout. I somehow feel
this format is not really as good as it looks. It has really high
prize money but in order to win $14000, you have to be on top of a
really strong playing field. In the end, it just seems there is
always a log jam and everyone comes home empty handed. I think
Goichberg is a very smart man and all those chess players that pay
$200 are fools.

Six of the 10 first place finishers drew their last round games
with each other. If just one of those three games had resulted
in a decision, someone would have gone home with the big pot of
gold. I would say, these GMs had the opportunity to succeed, but
failed. This does not make them fools in my eyes.

The GMs, of course pay no entry fees unless they win cash, and
as for all the class players who actually paid to enter, if they
got 9 rounds of strong competition, then they got what they paid
for. This does not make them fools in my eyes.

Are there any rival organizations offering such strong
tournaments with *lower* entry fees? If so, how often?
If not, what's your beef?
Old July 9th 03, 04:04 AM
Bill Smythe

"Ivan" wrote:
.... all those chess players that pay $200 are fools. ....

If they are paying because they hope to win money, I agree with you
completely. If they are paying in order to see some great players, have a
good time, and play some interesting chess (the best way to do the latter is
to PLAY UP a section), then they are probably getting what they are paying
for.

In all these tournaments, there are entirely too many of the fools who
regard their entry fees as a short-term investment. It almost never pans
out.

Bill Smythe