Mig Migged

Old July 9th 03, 01:35 PM
Mark Houlsby

Default Mig Migged

Mig wrote in message . ..
Eh? When was this?! My current ICC rating is 2558 and has probably
never been much higher than that. My Playchess.com rating is probably
over 2400.

I'm never sure if the people here believe all the anonymous lies or
just figure it's the same person posting and agreeing with himself.

Hello Mig

In this case at least, it's not "the same person posting and agreeing
with himself.".

Here's another example of "Gunny Bunny"'s devastating charm and
dazzling repartee:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2A435435

Bad as he undoubtedly is, Sloan would never stoop to in-your-face
banal expletives. Whoever "Gunny Bunny" is, he's not Sloan. He *is* an
imbecile though. I usually ignore him.

Best
Mark
Old July 9th 03, 01:47 PM
StanB

"Mig" wrote in message

In a way this is the only way my ego would ever get out of control.
What greater honor than another thread with my name in it posted by
Spam Scone, the very same ace reporter who spammed the world with the
news of Peter Leko's death? The tireless researcher whose website
repeats the exploded myth that Einstein got bad grades in school? The
alert citizen who was tossed out of the Kasparov-Deep Junior match
because his cell phone rang in the playing room and he was incapable
of turning it off? (Twice.) Truly, I am honored.

And in typical hack journalist fashion you get the facts wrong. Spam Scone
is not Sam Sloan. He is Neil Brennen. Perhaps you shoulda had Fritz analzye
it before pontificating.

StanB

Old July 9th 03, 02:35 PM

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:36:20 GMT, Mig wrote:

Oh come on, I played quite a few games against Dean and IM Michael
Khodarkovsky when we were working together at KasparovChess. If he
wants to say I NEVER beat him once he's just messing around. It's not
as if we were keeping score or playing under tournament conditions
(full trash talk mode is more like it). I didn't have a plus score
against them but if I had lost every single game they wouldn't have
bothered playing me.

Mig

What if you were their boss, as you were? Would they refuse to play
with you if they depended upon you for their paycheck?

Old July 9th 03, 02:51 PM

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:12:53 GMT, Mig wrote:

Eh? When was this?! My current ICC rating is 2558 and has probably
never been much higher than that. My Playchess.com rating is probably
over 2400.

I'm never sure if the people here believe all the anonymous lies or
just figure it's the same person posting and agreeing with himself.

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 08:36:41 GMT, Mig wrote:

Is this what this Usenet group has sunk to? A bunch of me toos? A
bunch of chest-beaters with Spam Scone as an idol? Glad to see a few
people actually posting chess and some common sense, but even they end
up being dragged down into the pit.

Mig thinks that the plethora of people who are attacking him over this
issue are just clones of me. He fails to realize that his pompus
claims about his own chess strength over the years have created a
bunch of enemies for himself. People who attack me every day and who
never agree with me about anything are suddenly agreeing with me on
this one issue.

Mig has not played often in USCF rated tournaments, but over the years
EVERY TIME HE HAS PLAYED his preformance has been about 1800. He
cannot produce a result in a tournament or even a single game where
his performance has been much better than that.

http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings/12525629

One good thing about chess: If Mig is right, we will know that
immediately.

All he had to do is produce Just One 2300 result in the next year or
so in an open tournament, not an Internet tournament, and I will admit
that I am wrong.

Old July 9th 03, 04:30 PM

At 04:35 AM 7/9/2003 -0400, John Fernandez wrote:
At 04:26 AM 7/9/2003, you wrote:
One good thing about chess: If Mig is right we will know that immediately.

All he had to do is produce just One 2300 result in the next year or so and
I will admit that I am wrong.

Sam Sloan

Pretty embarrassing post, Sam. If a certain player goes out and has a 2300
performance, that in no way proves that they HAD a 2300 rating. I've had
plenty of 2300 performances without ever coming close to 2300. One has
nothing to do with the other.

Then again, in the Sam Sloan "Journalism I Just Made Up" school, that
counts as concrete proof.

John Fernandez

You misread my letter, a usual. I believe that Mig is an 1800 player.
If I am right, he will never produce a 2300 performance in an open
tournament in his entire life.

Therefore, if he produces even one 2300 performance in the next year,
he will have proven that I am wrong.

Is it not remarkable that while proclaiming on his Chessninja site at
http://www.chessninja.com/dailydirt.htm that he is a 2300 player, Mig
cannot provide the name of even one strong player that he has ever
defeated in a tournament game or the game score of even one good game
that he has ever played in a tournament?

Old July 9th 03, 05:59 PM
Angelo DePalma

I used to play bridge online with a guy who was on the Argentine national
team. He claimed to be a very good chess player too -- in fact, he told me
his FIDE was 2300. So I booked an online chess session with him even though
I looked him up and couldn't find anything on him at the Argentine CF site.
When I beat him at G/30 (I'm 1900-ish) I was certain he was full of it.

I've read just about everything Mig has written (or that has been written
about him) in the last 3-4 years, and have even had several email exchanges
with him about politics (don't go there, as they say!). I seem to recall a
couple of times where he was referred to as a 2200 or 2300 FIDE player, but
he never said so himself. His USCF rating does not suggest he was ever
(within the past 40 years) a 2300 player. Maybe he was a legit 2100 player
who has become rusty and was being ultra-ethical by telling Bill G. that his
rating was 2300. If so I salute him. I doubt anyone (except for Gary Hart)
would be so cavalier about being "caught" because of Mig is really a low-A
player, it would certainly come out if he played!

Angelo DePalma

"joe mccarron" wrote in message
om...
1)Did he in fact have the equivalent of a masters rating in Argentina?

Old July 9th 03, 07:26 PM
John Macnab

Default World Open crosstable

Mig wrote:
Right Sam, good logic there. Can't you even tell the truth once in a
while by accident? I play in my first serious tournament in six years
and am supposed to play at the same level. Maybe you should ask the
IMs and GMs I've played OTB blitz with, or look at the same crosstable
at the World Open with all the 2200+ players within a half-point of my
own score. Performance in one event doesn't mean anything more than
performance in that event.

[snip]

Here is the crosstable:

http://www.worldopen.com/2003Results/open.htm

Mig is in a large group (3.0 points) with ratings between 1803 and 2556.
The median of the group appears to be about 2100, so a performance
rating calculation may be misleading. Note also that several of the
higher rated players on this score dropped out early (we'll allow the
bottom feeders of the group to speculate on this.)

As I've pointed out before, threads like this are evidence that Mig is a
significant celebrity in the English-speaking chess world.

Enjoy it Mig: the only thing worse than being talked about is not being
talked about.

John

Old July 9th 03, 10:09 PM
DDEckerslyke

"John Macnab" wrote in message news:BfYOa.422068

snip

Here is the crosstable:

http://www.worldopen.com/2003Results/open.htm

Mig is in a large group (3.0 points) with ratings between 1803 and 2556.
The median of the group appears to be about 2100, so a performance
rating calculation may be misleading. Note also that several of the
higher rated players on this score dropped out early (we'll allow the
bottom feeders of the group to speculate on this.)

As I've pointed out before, threads like this are evidence that Mig is a
significant celebrity in the English-speaking chess world.

Enjoy it Mig: the only thing worse than being talked about is not being
talked about.

John

Post of the Day IMHO

cheers

dd

Old July 10th 03, 12:39 AM
EZoto

What they are talking about is ratings. I have beaten Dean in a
tournament. That doesn't mean I'm a better player than him. He is by
far a much better player than me. I have a couple of high rated
scalps of some pretty good players and they are all better than me.
Beating somebody once doesn't mean you are better than they are and
for that matter drawing them. Being a better player means you are
consistently playing at a high level and are able to compete
consistently with very good players at a high level. If I played Dean
in a ten game match I would lose 8 games, have a hard fought draw and
a lucky win. So I would go 1 1/2 - 7 1/2. That is where my level of
play is at I feel.

EZoto
Old July 10th 03, 03:46 AM
StanB

"EZoto" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

If I played Dean
in a ten game match I would lose 8 games, have a hard fought draw and
a lucky win. So I would go 1 1/2 - 7 1/2. That is where my level of
play is at I feel.

What happened in the tenth game? A bye?

StanB