Not a Friend of Sam Was: Mig Migged

Old July 11th 03, 07:33 PM
Randy Bauer

Default Not a Friend of Sam Was: Mig Migged

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
On 10 Jul 2003 18:05:00 -0700,
(Randy Bauer)
wrote:

(Fifiela) wrote in message ...

Sam has had a legit 2100 USCF rating for years. Apparently
he has played like a fish in recent events and is now (I think) mid 1900s. Mig
(who I have not a clue) has about 1800 USCF and recent 1800+ USCF perfromance.

My guess Sam 6-4 in 10 games unless the front two rows of the auidence is
stacked with leggy pre-teen blonds. I donate $2.00 US to the match fund. Who
else is in?

Here's Sloan's rating history from the USCF site:

Rating History for
SAM SLOAN
USCF ID 11115292 Expires 04-04 State NEW YORK

Source Regular
Rating Quick
Rating
06-03 Supplement 1924 2000
04-03 Supplement 1924 2000
02-03 Supplement 1943 2000
12-02 Annual List 1946 2000
10-02 Supplement 1973 2036
06-02 Supplement 1952 2040
12-01 Annual List 1952 2034
10-01 Supplement 1952 2034
06-01 Supplement 1946 2034
12-00 Annual List 1921 2034
10-00 Supplement 1921 2034
08-00 Supplement 1996 2007/16
06-00 Supplement 1992 2007/16
02-00 Supplement 2025 2007/16
12-99 Annual List 2025 2007/16
10-99 Supplement 2041 2007/16
12-98 Annual List 2104 2007/16
10-98 Supplement 2104 2007/16
12-97 Annual List 2107 2007/16
06-97 Supplement 2092 2007/16
12-96 Annual List 2102 2007/16
10-96 Supplement 2102 2007/16
08-96 Supplement 2056 2007/16
06-96 Supplement 2050 2007/16
04-96 Supplement 2000 2007/16
02-96 Supplement 2000 2007/16
12-95 Annual List 2023 2007/16
10-95 Supplement 2000 2007/16
12-92 Annual List 2000 2007/16
06-92 Supplement 2000 2007/16

I think classifying Sloan as a 2100 player is stretching it a bit. He
looks more like a 2000 player to me (and, given recent performance,
that is being generous).

Randy Bauer

Wrong. I have been playing tournament chess since 1956. I have had an
experts rating since 1964. If you go back and look at the old issues
of Chess Life Magazine, you will see that my average rating over the
years has been 2050-2150. The USCF Ratings website only starts in
1992.

Since 1964 my rating was always over 2000 except for one period in
1978 when I was getting divorced, until 2000 when for the first time
in 22 years my rating fell below 2000.

That still makes me a favorite to beat Mig Greengard, whose highest
ever rating is 1837.

Sam Sloan

If you wish to characterize Mig's strength by his recent performance,
then this 10 year snapshot should suffice for you too.

Randy
Old July 11th 03, 07:40 PM
Doctor SBD

If so, Mig 8.5 - Sloan 1.5.

Yeah, but that would only be about a 2250 performance rating, so we all know
Sammy would still be dancing around with his ludicrous "2300 performance"
assertion.

SBD
Old July 12th 03, 12:11 AM
John Fernandez

That still makes me a favorite to beat Mig Greengard, whose highest
ever rating is 1837.

Sam Sloan

One could just as easily use, say, ICC ratings, where your high rating is 1989
(last rating 1731) vs. Mig's 2576 (last 2558).

John Fernandez
Old July 15th 03, 03:59 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

I would certainly not play Damiano's Defense against an opponent who I
knew was prepared to face it.

Sam Sloan

I thought THAT was the bet!!??