Mig Migged

Old July 10th 03, 05:15 PM
joe mccarron

Default Mig Migged

I think guessing the strength of a player based on blitz games is a
bad idea. I'm a patzer but my entire thought process is different in
blitz than in a classical time control game. If Mig has been playing
exclusively blitz I believe there could be a sizable disconnect
between his blitz and his regular time control playing strength.
E.g., 2200 blitz 1900 regular. He has maintained that he thought he
woudl have a 2300 performance based on his blitz games.(at least in
part) I think he honestly thought that but as he continues to play
games at the classic time control he will find that blitz is not a
good indicator in tournament games.

In any event, I do not see any reason to accuse him of cheating. I
think often people will say things on this group that they have no
evidence for becasue they don't have to face the person when they do
it.

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message ...
John,

If you say you get better by PLAYING strong players I agree, but not
necessarily by playing blitz. It takes more than "hanging out" or playing
500 blitz games to go from 1800 to 2300, and more than just not playing for
14 months to go from 2300 to 1800 again.

The only exception I can think of is teenaged (and younger) players, who get
better by osmosis. Actually, they get better because their brains are
developing. Once you hit 25 or so forget it. You can still become wiser and
smarter and more knowledgeable, but the neurons are not forming new
connections any longer. At that point you can't learn by osmosis -- you have
to learn by DOING, and it's very very difficult indeed.

Angelo DePalma