CJA Misrepresents Resume of Award Nominee

Old July 11th 03, 12:24 PM
Spam Scone

Default CJA Misrepresents Resume of Award Nominee

I wrote to CJA Peter Tamburro and CJA Webmaster J. Franklin Campbell
to correct the claim on the CJA website that Ira Riddle was currently
"book reviewer for Pennswoodpusher". Dr. Riddle was fired by me in
April 2003.

Instead of a dispassionate response from Tamburro I got a
strongly-worded reply that accused me of indulging in a personality
dispute instead of correcting the public record. Furthermore, Tamburro
told me that even if he did change the website listing, he would only
re-word it in such a way that the unprepared reader would think Riddle
was still book reviewer for The Pennswoodpusher. It is important to
CJA, it seems, to pad the resume of at least one Award Nominee.

Please note that I asked The Campbell Report to change my bio to
reflect the fact I am no longer a columnist at Correspondence Chess
News. Had I desired to engage in the sort of misrepresentation that
Riddle and Tamburro are indulging in, then I would have said nothing.

It's a sad day for chess journalism when the CJA President chooses to
play these sort of political games. Please compare Tamburro's action
to the CJA Code of Ethics, Item 1 and 3, and draw your own
conclusions.

Neil Brennen
Editor, The Pennswoodpusher
chessnews at mindspring dot com
Old July 11th 03, 12:44 PM
RSHaas

"It's a sad day for chess journalism when the CJA President chooses to
play these sort of political games. Please compare Tamburro's action to the CJA
Code of Ethics, Item 1 and 3, and draw your own conclusions.

Neil Brennen
Editor, The Pennswoodpusher
================
It would be a sad day for me if I wasted my time reading Items 1 and 3.
Meanwhile, how come awards are given for the best state chess association
newsletter, but none for the best state chess association, period? (RSHaas)

Old July 11th 03, 04:15 PM
LeModernCaveman

I wrote to CJA Peter Tamburro and CJA Webmaster J. Franklin Campbell
to correct the claim on the CJA website that snip was currently
"book reviewer for snip". snip was fired by me in
April 2003.

Is there a reason you have to note why someone departed?

You seem to be giving publicity to what would appear to be a ****ing contest.

snip is a fine tournament director, very competent and engaging, very fair,
and has devoted more of his life to chess and bringing chess to the schools in
PA than chess deserves.

As for snip, I used to subscribe to snip when I was playing, and it was an
interesting newsletter. Even had a 23-move miniature of mine published there
once.

About all your post accomplished was to ensure that I won't be reading snip
again, and to give my support to Dr. snip in any way I can.

Old July 11th 03, 04:15 PM
LeModernCaveman

"It's a sad day for chess journalism when

....ever the sun rises?

"Chess Journalism" in America seems to have nothing BUT "sad" days, given the
level of interest in this country!

Old July 11th 03, 07:14 PM
RSHaas

"If you want to form the Chess
Bureaucrats of America, Mensa Model, feel free to give out awards to your state
or local associations. (Randy Bauer)
============
Thanks for your input. In my scheme of things Districts that were unorganized
would eventually forfeit their own money. Their money would go back into a
pool that would be "awarded" pro rata to Districts that were organized and
functioning properly as a kind of bonus for performing well. "Awarding" money
is better than awarding attaboy chess plaques. Neat idea, huh? (RSHaas)

Old July 11th 03, 09:48 PM
Joechess145

Subject: CJA Misrepresents Resume of Award Nominee
From: (RSHaas)
Date: 7/11/2003 10:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time
The uninformed reader needs to know that Mr. RSHaas is known to dislike State
Chess Association Newsletters. In the Mensa Metro District Scheme he
frequently touts, there is to be no money spent for local chess newsletters.
(Sam Sloan)
==============
That's right. Sam. In my scheme of things the Districts would not be
permitted
to **** away their money on cosmetic newsletters. District money would
intended to allow the District org to function as "the promoter - organizer
of
first or last resort in their operating territory as the need might be."
Great idea, huh? (RSHaas)

Not in my opinion. Tmts are a part of the chess scene, not the entire chess
scene. Newsletters go to all members regardless of tmt activity. For example,
as a MACA life member, I get Chess Horizons. Now that I live in a part of the
state not served by the state association, I still get some use or benefit from
my membership.

Here is another example: I think that Connecticut has somewhere close to 2,000
USCF members (I could be off). When I asked for labels for adult USCF members
living in CT who had played a rated game during the last two years, I received
fewer than 200 names.

Playing in tmts is AN important part of chess activity, it is not the ONLY
important activity. Personally, I would not want to join a federation whose
main financial activity was to subsidize the fiefdom of some organizer who
could not run tmts without a subsidy from my dues.

Joe Sparks