Charges vs. Old USCF Leaders

Old July 12th 03, 05:29 PM

Default Charges vs. Old USCF Leaders

At 12:04 PM 7/12/2003 EDT, a reader wrote:

James Schroeder, known for his intemperate screeds, has stated in his
latest that both Edmondson & Morrison were asked to leave USCF for "stealing money." They are also
accused of accepting bribes for allocating coveted slots to undeserving
guys like Geo. Kane on 1974 Olympic Team. Can you corroborate these
charges?

George Kane was working for me briefly in Wall Street when this
happened. What happened was that George Kane won the Marshall Chess
Club Championship by a huge score, something like 11-1.

Bonus and Feedback Rating Points were in effect at that time. This
enabled George Kane to gain more than 300 rating points in that one
tournament.

George Kane was initially left off the US Olympic Team Team, so he
protested to Edmondson and got put on the team.

I doubt that there was any corruption involved.

George Kane played very poorly in the 1974 World Chess Olympiad and,
because of his result of losing almost every game, the US Team got its
worst ever result.

George Kane later played in the US Championship, where he finished
last.

George Kane never again had another result like that result in the
Marshall Chess Club Championship.

One permanent thing did come out of this, however: George Kane became
a father as a result. I am fairly certain that the woman with whom he
had a baby agreed to have a baby with him because of his high USCF
rating after winning the Marshall Chess Club Championship. The baby is
now 29 years old.

Old July 12th 03, 10:26 PM
Recmate

Subject: Charges vs. Old USCF Leaders
From: (Sam Sloan)
Date: 7/12/2003 12:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

Sam Sloan

Edmondson and Morrison were not accused of stealing money and were not fired.
Edmondson resigned at a time when he could have stayed on. Morrison resigned
at a time when the Board was unhappy with him and he might have been fired
before long if the situation failed to improve.

Kane qualified for the Olympiad because bonus points at that time were the same
regardless of event length, and there was no upper rating limit. This was
later modified so that the bonus threshhold varied with the number of rounds
(as it does today), and virtually no bonus was available at the Master level.

Bill Goichberg
Old July 13th 03, 01:19 AM
Bruce Draney

From: (Sam Sloan)
Date: 7/12/2003 12:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

But other than these few small errors, you'd say everything else that
Sam claimed was pretty much correct?

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old July 13th 03, 04:50 AM
Recmate

From: Bruce Draney
Date: 7/12/2003 8:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time

From:
(Sam Sloan)
Date: 7/12/2003 12:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time
[...]

I didn't say that Sam made errors, but was just adding information.

I think Sam is basically right that Kane scored about 11-1 and gained about 300
points. I don't remember if he was initially left off the team or not.

George Mirijanian has pointed out that Kane's result and the US result were not
quite as bad as Sam claimed.

Nevertheless, it is fair to say that Kane was misrated, and that his rating was
virtually based on just one tournament, in which he had a much better result
than ever before. Under today's rating system, he probably would have gained
about 100 points rather than 300. He did not belong on the team, and the US
would probably have done better using its next highest rated player.

Bill Goichberg
Old July 13th 03, 05:29 AM
Miriling

On 12 July 2003 (Recmate) replied in

I didn't say that Sam made errors, but was just adding information.

I think Sam is basically right that Kane scored about 11-1 [in winning the

Marshall Chess Club championship] and gained about
300
points. I don't remember if he was initially left off the team or not.

George Mirijanian has pointed out that Kane's result and the US result were
not
quite as bad as Sam claimed.

Nevertheless, it is fair to say that Kane was misrated, and that his rating
was
virtually based on just one tournament, in which he had a much better result
than ever before. Under today's rating system, he probably would have gained
about 100 points rather than 300. He did not belong on the team, and the US
would probably have done better using its next highest rated player.

Bill Goichberg

In the year in which Kane played in the World Olympiad in Skopje, Yugoslavia

(1972), here are the top 10 players, as they appeared in the rating list in the
December 1972 issue of Chess Life & Review:

1. Robert Fischer (Calif.) 2810
2. Sam Reshevsky (N.Y.) 2581
3. Lubomir Kavalek (D.C.) 2571
4. Robert Byrne (N.Y.) 2558
5. Larry Evans (Nev.) 2540
6. William Lombardy (N.Y.) 2537
7. Pal Benko (N.Y.) 2522
8. George Kane (N.Y.) 2478
9. William Addison (Calif.) 2475
10. Milan Vukcevich (Ohio) 2470

The 1972 Olympiad team consisted of
1. Kavalek
2. R. Byrne
3. Benko
4. Bisguier (2459), ranked 13-14th in 1972
Reserve players
1. William Martz (2414), ranked 23rd
2. Kane
Non-playing team captain was Donald Byrne, rated 2459, same as Bisguier.
As it was, the U.S. had to use its #3, # 4, # 7, # 8, #13 and # 23 players to
form its team, which was no match against the formidable Soviet team of
1. Petrosian
2. Korchnoi
3. Smyslov
4. Tal
Reserve players
1. Karpov
2. Savon

George Mirijanian

Old July 13th 03, 04:21 PM
Miriling

On 12 July 2003 (Sam Sloan) wrote in

-snip-

George Kane was initially left off the US Olympic Team Team, so he
protested to Edmondson and got put on the team.

-snip-

Sam Sloan

1972 World Olympiad in Skopje, Yugoslavia

USCF Executive Director Ed Edmondson was present at Skopje during the meetings
of the FIDE Congress and was interviewed by Ray Keene and David Levy for their
book on the Olympiad. Here's a portion of that interview:

Question: Why was the best American team not available for this Olympiad?

Edmondson: The primary reason of course is that Bobby Fischer, the best player
in the world, was too tired from the Reykjavik match. The second player, if we
had our best team, was Reshevsky, and although the Yugoslavs knew more than a
year in advance that there were (Jewish) holidays that would prevent Reshevsky
playing at that time they were unable to get the playing hall for another
period, and to consider Reshevsky more important than all the teams of all the
other nations . . . And so Reshevsky couldn't play because of religious
holidays.
Lombardy and Evans are the other two strong players who were not with our team.
Lombardy is a teacher in a Catholic school and he had been all summer in
Iceland with Fischer as his second in the championship match. It was impossible
for Lombardy to even consider asking for time off again so quickly from his
duties with the Catholic school. Evans would have played if we had wanted to
pay him a sufficient honararium but since we felt that the presence of Evans
might make the difference between us finishing ninth and sixth, we saw no
reason to pay the honararium.

George Mirijanian
Old July 13th 03, 08:20 PM
Recmate

From: (ASCACHESS)
Date: 07/13/2003 12:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time
But other than these few small errors, you'd say everything else that
Sam claimed was pretty much correct?

Best Regards,

Bruce

I didn't say that Sam made errors, but was just adding information.

I think Sam is basically right that Kane scored about 11-1 and gained about
300
points. I don't remember if he was initially left off the team or not.

George Mirijanian has pointed out that Kane's result and the US result were
not
quite as bad as Sam claimed.

Bill Goichberg

Short of Sam Sloan announcing your own death in the back of a cab in Budapest
titled, "Bill Bites Bullet in Budapest", is there anything Sam Sloan could
write that you would consider utter crap.

Yes! See my editorial regarding his EB candidacy at chessnews.org for
examples. Sloan's attack on Khmelnitsky was particularly outrageous.

His reply regarding Edmondson, Morrison and Kane, however, got the main facts
right- Edmondson and Morrison were not accused of stealing money, Kane's rating
was inflated, and Kane's performance hurt the US team. Sam got some of the
details wrong but his overall conclusions were OK.

You and Don have us scratching our heads and wondering how far the two of you
will go to protect Sam.

Sounds like you automatically disbelieve everything Sam says. He's often
wrong, but not always. Read those chessnews.org comments on his campaign and
see if you still wonder why I "protect" Sam.

Bill Goichberg

Sheesh
Richard Peterson

Old July 15th 03, 02:52 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
SNIP
One permanent thing did come out of this, however: George Kane became
a father as a result. I am fairly certain that the woman with whom he
had a baby agreed to have a baby with him because of his high USCF
rating after winning the Marshall Chess Club Championship. The baby is
now 29 years old.

Sam Sloan

Oh, I know. All those hundreds of groupie chicks who hang out at the big
Opens fall all over themselves trying to land a catch with a USCF Elo of
2200+.

Unfortunately, with a rating of only around 1600, I get stuck with the
left-overs. Usually fat chicks. Pretty slim pickins after those much
coveted by the women chess experts take all the good ones....

Regards,

Matt

Old July 15th 03, 04:01 AM
Fifiela

Oh, I know. All those hundreds of groupie chicks who hang out at the big
Opens fall all over themselves trying to land a catch with a USCF Elo of
2200+.

Unfortunately, with a rating of only around 1600, I get stuck with the
left-overs. Usually fat chicks. Pretty slim pickins after those much
coveted by the women chess experts take all the good ones...

There were chess groupies in mid-70s. I remeber watching one chase Yasser all
over town at Lone Pine. Didin't seem to be a place that Yasser was going.