The big event

Old July 13th 03, 07:02 AM
Jane Adams

Default The big event

Sam's really a coward. I remember Stan Vaughan offering to settle the
personal differences over their relative Chess prowess, many times here on
these pages over the past eight years. He never took advantage of any of the
offers, in spite of making the claim that Vaughan was only a weak expert.

I'd love to see a match between Michael Greengard and Sam Sloan. My money is
on MIG.

Jane

"John Macnab" wrote in message
. ca...
Someone has proposed a 10-game match between Sam Sloan and Mig. I
promise to contribute $10 to the prize fund. But I'll triple it if we
can get Mr. Jerome Bibuld to be the match arbiter!

With ample respect and admiration for all three men,

John

Old July 13th 03, 07:07 AM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear Mr. McNab,

Heil Dubya!

For the proper donation to my African Chess Federation Fund (made payable to
New In Chess Magazine), I would be pleased to be arbiter of the match, played
in accordance with the FIDE Laws of Chess. Indeed, I'm sure the Oxford Gambit
Chess Club (135 South Oxford Street, Brooklyn, NY 11217) would offer space,
gratis, although I haven't checked with the proprietors.

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan und Irak. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka uber Alles!

Fraternally,

Jedrome Bibuld
gens una sumus
Old July 13th 03, 02:52 PM

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:02:21 -0700, "Jane Adams"
wrote:

Sam's really a coward. I remember Stan Vaughan offering to settle the
personal differences over their relative Chess prowess, many times here on
these pages over the past eight years. He never took advantage of any of the
offers, in spite of making the claim that Vaughan was only a weak expert.

I'd love to see a match between Michael Greengard and Sam Sloan. My money is
on MIG.

Jane

Wrong. Stan Vaughan never showed up. He dares not show his face at the
National Open.

Also, Stan Vaughan has a master's rating, but is really an expert.
This gives him at least an even chance to beat me. Mig, on the other
hand, is an 1800 player who claims to be an 2300 player. My chances of
beating him are much greater.

Also, Jane Addams is really Tom Klem, as almost everybody knows by
now.

Old July 13th 03, 04:21 PM
StanB

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

As much as I and Jerry Bibuld do not get along, I do believe that he
is an honest arbiter who will make the correct decision in a disputed
situation.

He is not a rational or objective person. Oh sure he'll think he is being
fair but his prejudices will overrule his logic.

StanB

Old July 13th 03, 08:32 PM
John Macnab

Dear Mr. Bibuld,

Your idea of charitable contribution makes the idea even more delicious.

1. Would the chess community be interested enough to put together some cash?

2. Please give more information regarding the African Chess Federation Fund.

John

PS Mig and Sam Sloan are my favourite non-titled chess *personalities*.
Much laughter over the years, and very little of it from their chess
activity.

Old July 13th 03, 09:21 PM
Jane Adams

wrote:

[...]

Sam Sloan

Dear Sam,

Your prescient grasp of the facts never fails to amaze and amuse. According
to the brokers of the deal, you never responded. There was nothing to show
up for, not the least of which is Mr Vaughan's disdain for all things USCF.
Any match played between the two of you would; 1st, have had to been
arranged, and; 2nd, played anywhere beyond the purview of the USCF.

Let me know how you do against MIG. I predict a slaughter. Hope you get a
sponser and don't lose your own money.

Jane
http://www.lvcm.com/jadams

Old July 14th 03, 05:50 PM

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:21:28 -0700, "Jane Adams"
wrote:

Dear Sam,

Your prescient grasp of the facts never fails to amaze and amuse. According
to the brokers of the deal, you never responded. There was nothing to show
up for, not the least of which is Mr Vaughan's disdain for all things USCF.
Any match played between the two of you would; 1st, have had to been
arranged, and; 2nd, played anywhere beyond the purview of the USCF.

Let me know how you do against MIG. I predict a slaughter. Hope you get a
sponser and don't lose your own money.

Jane
http://www.lvcm.com/jadams

For many years, Stan Vaughan has not played in a chess tournament
except for Stan Vaughan tournaments, where most of his opponents are
rated 500 points lower than himself.

We do know that he is a player, however. He claims to be a master. He
is probably an expert. He might even be Class A.

In any case, it is certainly possible that he might beat me. If
serious money were involved, I would certainly not play him in his own
Stan Vaughan environment.

Mig is a different case. He is an 1800 player who claims to be a 2300
player. I would cetainly bet that I can beat Mig. I am not certain
that I would bet that I can beat Stan Vaughan.

Old July 14th 03, 11:58 PM

On 14 Jul 2003 20:02:36 GMT, eepmeep (John
Fernandez) wrote:

Subject: The big event
From:
(Sam Sloan)
Date: 7/14/2003 12:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time
wrote:

[...]

Stan Vaughan you'd probably beat, Mig would wipe you out.

John Fernandez

It is a difference of opinion that makes a horse race.

Old August 28th 03, 06:52 AM
Jerry

I've played in events Jerry Bibuld has directed,
and I think he is a very good tournament director.
Have you played in any of his events?