Yahoo! Chess is frustrating

Old July 14th 03, 04:26 PM
COBLGP

Default Yahoo! Chess is frustrating

I've been playing Yahoo Chess for a few weeks now. I used to play in chess
tournaments when I was a kid, having achieved a Canadian chess rating of
1499 at 12 years old. I didn't have a passion for the game back then, so I
stopped playing regularly by the time I was 14.

So I started playing chess online at Yahoo (under the screen name of
classicspiderman). Now, I haven't played in several years (except for
occasional play at University pubs). It is quite humbling to be struggling
against other players in the "Beginners' Lounge". I have a win/loss record
of 51 wins, 55 losses and about 10 draws (rating 1298). One of these draws
was quite funny, I was ahead by a rook and two knights but the game
unexpectedly ended in stalemate with my opponent's kind right in the middle
of the board. We both laughed and he let me have a rematch and I easily
won the next game.

I believe that I would have many more wins (closer to 65 by now) if it
weren't for cheaters and disconnectors.

As for the cheaters (those who use computers), how many of them I've
played, I can't tell. I do recall racking three straight losses against an
1800 rated player in the beginners lounge. I suppose he could have just
been a strong player trolling for wins against fresh meat, so I'll leave it
at that. I do recall a game where I was playing someone who was 200 points
higher than me and I gained an advantage. He was making very beginner-like
mistakes and he was only spending about 10-20 seconds per move. Then in
the middle of the game, he takes about 9 minutes to make a move, after
which he played perfect chess (while I made a few blunders) and he
eventually won the game. Sour grapes on my part? Maybe, but I reserve
most of my wrath for...

The disconnectors. These losers have inflated ratings and win/loss
records, I've seen some of them rated as high as 1450, but they don't
deserve any higher than 1000. This morning I was clearly winning against a
player who was 150 points higher than me. He just leaves. So he had about
3 minutes left on his clock and I wait for the clock to run out... and the
Yahoo server does not record my hard-fought win which could have given me a
few nice rating points. I can only assume this disconnector left Yahoo
Chess entirely and that's why Yahoo did not record this win for me.

I am a stickler for the rules. Even in casual play I will not allow others
to take back their moves after they make a blunder. But I hold that same
standard for myself, btw.

I think that Yahoo Chess should be reformed as follows:

1) Those who leave their chess game for another must automatically forfeit
their game. I understand that some players like to play multiple games at
the same time but tough luck!

2) Those who cannot maintain their connection to the chess server will also
automatically forfeit their game. I understand that this sounds pretty
draconian but in the event of such a loss, it can just be recorded as a
"Loss by disconnection" (ie: not a real loss). That way, the other honest
chess players can filter out the disconnectors quite easily and refuse to
play them.

So other than that, I enjoy playing chess again, even if its just online.
I usually play about 3-4 games per day, and I'm winning a bit more lately
than losing. One of the goals of this washed-up ex-tournament player is to
surpass my old 1499 rating.

Old July 14th 03, 06:52 PM
Chris Merli

This is one of the basic flaws of Yahoo, MSN or any of the generic servers.
They are set up for a number of different games and really do not focus on
chess. The problems will never be solved. It is better to join one of the
dedicated servers. USCL, ICC or FICS..

Old July 16th 03, 04:35 AM
Bill Smythe

"COBLGP" wrote:
.... One of these draws
was quite funny, I was ahead by a rook and two knights but the game
unexpectedly ended in stalemate with my opponent's kind right in the

middle
of the board. ....

Anybody who allows this type of misfortune has no right to complain about
Yahoo, or anybody or anything else, costing him rating points or chess
strength.

Just get back into OTB chess, and let the world see how strong you REALLY
are.

Bill Smythe

Old July 16th 03, 09:53 PM
Jim Baska

I personally think that the "undo" key is the worst thing that has
ever happened to chess. I have had at least two games in the past two
days where the opponent has asked to undo a move (one of them asked
twice).

On the first occasion, after being asked a second time to undo a move,
I told the opponent that "I neither request nor allow undos". This
guy got really irate at me. I mean really nasty. 200+ games I've
played online and never once asked for an undo. The next guy says he
answered the phone during our match and missed leaving his queen
completely exposed. Guess what? I took the darn thing. He did not
get very irate, but definately begged a little to get me to accept the
undo.

I can see one purpose for the undo...mouse misclicks. Then again, I
once allowed an undo because the person said he misclicked and he then
moved another piece. That ****ed me off. And I have had some doozies
myself when I was trying to get used to my new notebook's touchpad.
Never asked for an undo though. To me it would be similar to saying
"I adjust" AFTER touching a piece in a live game.

So, bottom line - I never allow undos anymore. No way, never.

Old July 16th 03, 09:55 PM
Jim Baska

By the way...always check to make sure you are playing a "Rated" game.
I think there have been occasions when someone has left a game (i.e.,
let the timer run out) and when I "win", I get no points. Next time
that happens, I want to remember to look at the "Rated" checkbox to
make sure it is on.