CJA - 2003 Chess Journalist of the Year Nominees - This is a joke,yes?

Old July 14th 03, 05:04 PM
Dan Heisman

Default CJA - 2003 Chess Journalist of the Year Nominees - This is a joke,yes?

Neil,

Thanks. I would be honored to be Chess Journalist of the Year someday (even being nominated would be nice).

Of course, that raises the question of what it takes to qualify. I am certainly a chess author and writer,
and have my radio show at www.chess.fm. But I am not a journalist in the sense that I go to big chess events
and "cover" them for a major media outlet.

However, based on previous winners and current nominees, it certainly looks as if I qualify. So in that
sense it would be nice to be recognized. I am hoping Novice Nook wins Best Magazine Column this year. Last
year it finished runner-up to Soltis' Chess to Enjoy in Chess Life. So I guess I could say it won "Best
(Web) Magazine Column" for 2002.

Regards,
Dan H
Old July 14th 03, 05:19 PM
Bruce Draney

Dan Heisman wrote:

Neil,

Thanks. I would be honored to be Chess Journalist of the Year someday (even being nominated would be nice).

Of course, that raises the question of what it takes to qualify.

Presently, how does Don Schultz feel about you? This appears to be the
most important criterion.

I am certainly a chess author and writer,
and have my radio show at www.chess.fm. But I am not a journalist in the sense that I go to big chess events
and "cover" them for a major media outlet.

Are you more qualified than Sam Sloan or Jerry Hanken? If so then
forget it.

However, based on previous winners and current nominees, it certainly looks as if I qualify. So in that
sense it would be nice to be recognized. I am hoping Novice Nook wins Best Magazine Column this year. Last
year it finished runner-up to Soltis' Chess to Enjoy in Chess Life. So I guess I could say it won "Best
(Web) Magazine Column" for 2002.

You'd be a good choice Dan, if this hadn't become just another chess
political football rather than a sincere attempt to nominate deserving
chess journalists.

Regards,
Dan H

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old July 14th 03, 05:53 PM
Chessdon

Default CJA - 2003 Chess Journalist of the Year Nominees - This is a joke,

Neil Brennan said regarding Dan Heisman's question of what it takes to qualify
to be nominated:

Presently, how does Don Schultz feel about you? This appears to be the
most important criterion.

Actually Neil, this is not true.

As has been the case and posted repeatedly: anyone can nominate anyone.

The Cramer committee has NEVER rejected any nomination (though it does have
that right).

This year, ALL nominations for "Chess Journalist of the Year" came from CJA
members who are members of the CJA; no nominations came from members of the
Cramer Committee.

Therefore, to say that how I feel about a nomination is the most important
criterion is an absurdity!

Don Schultz

Old July 14th 03, 07:04 PM
Jerome Bibuld

Dear Mr. Heisman,

Heil Dubya!

Please don't believe that the prostitutes of the "major media" are
"journalists", in the sense of responsible reporters of "the news". Offhand, I
could name a dozen REALLY FINE JOURNALISTS who, to my knowledge, have nothing
to do with the "major media", but will limit myself to Neil Brennan, Daniel
Lucas, GM Ian Rogers, Yasser Seirawan and Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam, the first
five who come to mind. (I have set them down in alphabetic order, but they did
not come to mind in that order.) I have not mentioned GM Andrew Eden Soltis,
because, although he is a fine chess journalist, he works full time as an
editor of the NEW YORK POST.

All of these guys REPORT the news. They do not, as almost all big name
"journalists" of the "major media" do, rewrite the poop of the spin doctors
hired by big business/big government to bemuse the public.

I have read your work on the Chess Cafe and, believe me, it is JOURNALISM.

Neil,

Thanks. I would be honored to be Chess Journalist of the Year someday (even
being nominated would be nice).

Of course, that raises the question of what it takes to qualify. I am
certainly a chess author and writer,
and have my radio show at www.chess.fm. But I am not a journalist in the
sense that I go to big chess events
and "cover" them for a major media outlet.

However, based on previous winners and current nominees, it certainly looks
as if I qualify. So in that
sense it would be nice to be recognized. I am hoping Novice Nook wins Best
Magazine Column this year. Last
year it finished runner-up to Soltis' Chess to Enjoy in Chess Life. So I
guess I could say it won "Best
(Web) Magazine Column" for 2002.

Regards,
Dan H

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan und Irak. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka uber Alles.

Fraternally,

Jerome Bibuld
gens una sumus
Old July 14th 03, 08:42 PM
ASCACHESS

Presently, how does Don Schultz feel about you? This appears to be the
most important criterion.

Actually Neil, this is not true.

As has been the case and posted repeatedly: anyone can nominate anyone.
The Cramer committee has NEVER rejected any nomination (though it does have
that right).

Don Schultz

Don doth protest too much.

Last year, Don Schultz nominated Sam Sloan as Chess Journalist of the Year.
Now we have evidence that Don Schultz uses Sam Sloan as his private attack dog
while asking Sam not to tie Don's name to his spurious attacks.

Sam's reward for distributing Don's excrement was to be nominated as Chess
Journalist of the Year.

Sam's mere nomination by Don dishonors all the other nominees.

How would you like to be the Chess Journalist of the Year when your competition
was a known liar, child pornographer, and felon?
Why would Chessdon choose such a person to distribute his "information"?

Birds of a feather...

Richard Peterson

Old July 14th 03, 09:05 PM
John Fernandez

Thanks. I would be honored to be Chess Journalist of the Year someday (even
being nominated would be nice).

Dan,

Given the list of current nominees, you're overqualified. Sorry.

John Fernandez
Old July 14th 03, 09:49 PM
Chessdon

Richhard Peterson in an attempt to get away from my refutation of Neil
Brennan's claim about me said:

Don Schultz nominated Sam Sloan as Chess Journalist of the Year.

That is not relevant to my point. For the record however, last year I joined
with the committee in nominating Sam.

This thread is about someone saying on that the most important criteria for
being nominated is what Don Schultz believes. As I demonstrated in my last post
that claim is absurd since anyone can put forth a nomination and so far no
nominations have been rejected.

So, just like everyone else Richard, you can nominate but you can't blackball
others from nominating someone whom you may object to!

ONE MORE TIME: Nominations submitted by anyone will in the future be accepted
just as they have this time and in the past.

Old July 15th 03, 02:07 AM
ASCACHESS

Here Don Schultz says
So, just like everyone else Richard, you can nominate but you can't blackball
others from nominating someone whom you may object to!

But just a couple of postings ago, Don Schutlz says,

The Cramer committee has NEVER rejected any nomination (though it does have

that right).

So once more Don will say anything and the truth will lie more than a stone's
throw away.
Don says the committee has the right to reject any nomination, but no one else
does.

Don has yet to figure out there are a growing number of people who have figured
out his game and don't want to play. This is too bad for the legitimate
journalists.

Don says he joined with the committee last year to nominate his pet dog, Sam
Sloan as Chess Journalist of the Year.

That's OK, the Emperor Caligua made his favorite horse a counsel of the Roman
Senate.

I like the horse to have more common sense. How about you?

Richard Peterson

Old July 15th 03, 02:54 AM
George John

"Chessdon" wrote in message

Don,

-snip-

[snip] For the record however, last year I joined
with the committee in nominating Sam.

What were your reasons please for nominating Sam Sloan?

-snip-

George