my Great Predecessors

Old July 15th 03, 10:49 AM
Gunny Bunny

Default my Great Predecessors

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1060

Old July 15th 03, 03:25 PM
Spam Scone

eepmeep (John Fernandez) wrote in message ...
I got to see the book at the book signing here in New York last night. It's
AWESOME. Seriously. Get this book.
John Fernandez

Two critics, Edward Winter (Chess Cafe) and IM Richard Forster
(
www.chesshistorycenter.com), show considerably less enthusiasm for
the book. Forster had this to say about one of the analyzed games:

"A very great part of the analysis (certainly more than 95%) has been
copied from earlier sources, mostly without proper acknowledgement
(either to Chess Stars or the earlier sources).
Several highly relevant sources have been neglected, others have been
only partially checked.
Even in the "original" analysis, part has been anticipated and with
one exception it only confirms previous analysis.
Despite computer use a few clear improvements have been overlooked,
though I (a 2300+ player at the time) and my computer (circa Fritz 3,
I guess) had found or confirmed them in 1996.
Analysis by Bogoljubow is "refuted" (see diagram), but the original
assessment turns out to be correct and the "refutation" mistaken."

If you really want a book on chess history, then I suggest any of the
following recent titles (restricting myself to books I've read):

A Chess Omnibus - Edward Winter
Young Marshall - John Hilbert
Essays in American Chess History - John Hilbert
Walter Penn Shipley - John Hilbert
The Steinitz Papers - Kurt Landsburger
NY 1940 - John Hilbert
The Chess Biography of Marcel Duchamp Vol I - Vlastimil Fiala

Also, you might want to consider any of the Edition Olms and Moravian
reprints of tournament books and chess magazines.
Old July 18th 03, 11:53 AM
Gunny Bunny

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1067

Old July 19th 03, 04:07 AM
Tony D.

He desperately needs a fashion consultant.

"Ever since I lost a lung to cancer, I've cut my smoking in half"

Tony D.

Old July 19th 03, 09:30 AM
NoMoreChess

Default Kasparov's New Clothes

..
He desperately needs a fashion consultant.

Okay, so Garry's outfit at the book-signing in NY was not TopHat. But this
was a casual affair, and he can't be expected to wear a tuxedo every day of the
week.

I think his rather unusual choice of clothing shows individuality, and is a
pleasant change from those "cattle" who all dress precisely the same way, in
their nearly identical, dark monkey-suits.

I have seen David Lettermen dressed rather poorly on *national TV*. He
stands up, and is too lazy to even button his suit jacket, the way you are
*supposed to*. We know this because Johnny Carson always did it.

If you must criticize Garry for something, point out how he never combs the
long hair on his forearms, chest, back, feet, or hands!
You don't suppose that Garry might actually be...a werewolf?