Sick of players who INSIST on playing *BOOK* openings

Old July 16th 03, 12:19 AM
Scott

Default Sick of players who INSIST on playing *BOOK* openings

I have found a lot of players (at least online) - only play book
openings from memory - and when things deviate drastically from what
they are used to (especially in a 5-min game) - they can be easily
defeated. As a test I have gone on to various chess playing sites and
opened my game with 1. e4 * 2. ke2 * 3. ke3 * etc. and won the games
90% of the time. After my silly moves they tend to overextend and I
then play in a more traditional and aggressive fashion.

-Scott
Old July 16th 03, 03:16 AM
LeModernCaveman

I have found a lot of players (at least online) - only play book
openings from memory - and when things deviate drastically from what
they are used to (especially in a 5-min game) - they can be easily
defeated.

That's because you've neutralized their only area of strength. Excellent
practical strategy, but not wise for an aspiring world champion.

As a test I have gone on to various chess playing sites and
opened my game with 1. e4 * 2. ke2 * 3. ke3 * etc. and won the games
90% of the time.

I'm the other 10 percent.

After my silly moves they tend to overextend and I
then play in a more traditional and aggressive fashion.

I just thank the opponent for giving me an edge and then nurse it methodically.

Old July 16th 03, 07:30 AM
MinnesotaKid

I agree. So many players spend an incredible amount of time drilling
openings into their head. But then when the game gets out of book and
they actually have to start thinking, they often crumble. While a
general knowledge of opening theory is invaluable, originality and
creativity can sometimes suffer when playing by rote. That's why
computers will never totally conquer humans players. It's the
capabilty of humans to think "outside the box" that gives us the edge.
But then, I'm a fan of the artistry of chess, not as much the
scientific and mathematical aspect of the game.

I hate speed chess, blitz, lightning or whatever they call it. It's
akin to doing a paint-by-number as opposed to the Sistine Chapel.

Old July 16th 03, 02:12 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

You memorise the openings, then you become familiar with them (beyond rote
memorisation), then you grow capable of handling deviations "out of book"
because your foundation and general positional familiarity is so strong. If
you try that stuff with someone truly familiar with the opening being played
(built on the foundation of initially beginning with memorising the
opening), you will get inferior or losing positions.

m...

Old July 16th 03, 04:15 PM
RSHaas

"Brilliantly put! Bravo! I wholehartedly agree! Nothing is better than a long
thoughtfoul tournament game. (Jrn÷ Nyerges)
===========
You got that right! My long games are often "thoughtfouled." (RSHaas)
Old July 16th 03, 07:52 PM
Dan Yobry

1) Don't computers already conquer at chess??? They can beat almost anyone
except the best of the best... however, those days are few. I know I get my
ass handed to me by my lowly Palm Pilot Chess Tiger program.

2) I hate blitz, too. I've tried to like it, but I just can't. I don't get
excited about a bltiz game like I do an OTB one. When you make a serious
blunder in blitz, the thought is basically "well ****." When you blunder
OTB, it gets in your head and eats at you for a couple of days. You feel
like a dumb-ass and it affects the next few games. It's great!

-Dan

Old July 17th 03, 01:14 AM
eleaticus

"Joshua B. Lilly" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
You memorise the openings, then you become familiar with them (beyond rote
memorisation), then you grow capable of handling deviations "out of book"
because your foundation and general positional familiarity is so strong.

If
you try that stuff with someone truly familiar with the opening being

played
(built on the foundation of initially beginning with memorising the
opening), you will get inferior or losing positions.

Just what is the ECO or other name of 1. e4, 2. ke2, 3. ke3 with which
there is someone truly familiar with the opening?