Who is the biggest jerk GM

Old July 16th 03, 04:03 PM
RSHaas

Default Who is the biggest jerk GM

That was 1996. Forget it, will ya? (RSHaas)
Old July 16th 03, 08:48 PM
joe mccarron

(Charles Blair) wrote in message ...
(Scott) writes:

Was anyone present or has heard about the incident with GM Rohde at the New
York State Ch in Saratoga Springs NY in September 1996?

He was visually agitated at his expert level opponent who did not resign at the
first sign of losing the game. Others could tell something was wrong so a
small crowd began to hover. 6-7 moves later when the expert finally hung a
knight he resigned.

He tipped his king and raised his hand to GM Rohde who defiantly refused and
began to lecture him on the proper respect accorded GM's and his right to sleep
instead of playing the additional 20 minutes it took to convince the expert to
resign.

If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set the
record straight."

I doubt we can assess this without seeing the actual game. Perhaps
Rohde had a clearly won position at the time the poster refers to
as "first sign of losing the game" but was in danger of losing on time.
If Rohde's opponent was trying to win under these conditions, I don't
blame him for refusing to shake hands one move before mate.

(I don't know that this is what happened, but it strikes me as possible)

I totally disagree. Not shaking hands with someone because they do
not realize their game is completely lost quickly enough to suit you
is being a bad sport. Chessplayers exhibiting this lack of class
sickens me as well as it does the original poster.

That said I'm not sure that GM Rhode did this and even if he did
nobody is perfect. But if this is his attitude I agree that to that
extent he is a jerk.
Old July 17th 03, 02:52 AM
Fifiela

that Rohde was short of time, and the player was hoping for a win on
time.

I don't now if any of this is true (and don't much care). I have had masters
and experts run me on time in winning postions and I will do this same. The
Clock is The Game when your about out of time.
Old July 17th 03, 11:04 AM
LeModernCaveman

that Rohde was short of time, and the player was hoping for a win on
time.

I don't now if any of this is true (and don't much care). I have had masters
and experts run me on time in winning postions and I will do this same. The
Clock is The Game when your about out of time.

Any GM in this situation should consider that part of being a "champion" is
disposing of the opposition as quickly as possible. Think of the NCAA
tournamnet, and how the powerhouse school has trouble in the early rounds which
foreshadows their early elimination from the tournament.

I suppose the GMs wouldn't like my strategy of playing to keep the game going
95+ moves, just to make them earn that point.

Old July 17th 03, 05:01 PM
LeModernCaveman

I suppose the GMs wouldn't like my strategy of playing to keep the game
going
95+ moves, just to make them earn that point.

I've seen a GM threaten to punch a player who made him do K+R vs. K. To be
honest, if he knocked the guy's block off, I wouldn't have particularly
objected.

Take it up with the rules committee.

My proposal is that at any time in the game, one side can invoke a G/15 time
control, and in return for that, the other side gets draw odds.

That would put a stop to this and make the game much more efficient.

Old July 17th 03, 05:16 PM
King Leopold

GM Michael Rohde came to play the Orlando open several years back. Two days
before the tournament, we got him to come to our club in Melbourne, Fl to
give a lecture and a simul which he was paid handsomely for.
He set up the rules for the simul (20 players) stating that each player may
have two (2) passes when he got to their board.
About half way through the games, he gets mad and with a whiny cry-baby
attitued and voice, shouts, "You people are killing me with these passes.
Stop it!"
It just ruined my game, (my very first simul), for me.
After that, I've had no respect for him and rellish every time I read that
he lost a game or a tournament.
Leopold

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
Quoted from previous usenet posts:

"Speaking of crybabies,

Was anyone present or has heard about the incident with GM Rohde at the

New
York State Ch in Saratoga Springs NY in September 1996?

He was visually agitated at his expert level opponent who did not resign

at the
first sign of losing the game. Others could tell something was wrong so a
small crowd began to hover. 6-7 moves later when the expert finally hung

knight he resigned.

He tipped his king and raised his hand to GM Rohde who defiantly refused

and
began to lecture him on the proper respect accorded GM's and his right to

sleep
instead of playing the additional 20 minutes it took to convince the

expert to
resign.

Maybe it was GM Rohde's lackluster tournament ( only 5-6 IM's and GM's and

he
was on board 7 or 8) to that point or an earlier breech of etiquette but

those watching this display, it left a very sour taste in our mouths.

After
seeing how we mere mortals are treated even after a crushing defeat, who

would
want to spend a dime to watch these guys?

I've met other GM's and most have been very cordial but that single

display and
others I have only heard about always stick in my head when issues of

money,
sponsorship, respect, spectator interest (or lack thereof) are brought

up.

If we are lucky, maybe GM Rohde himself can explain his actions and set

the
record straight."

"Biggest jerks among world class chess players:

Rohde--one of those disreputable New York GMs who has cheated people with
various get-rich-quick internet schemes. He certainly doesn't have the
ability to earn many $$ through actual tournament play. His promise is

worth
less than nothing. His Chess Life column sucks..."

Old July 17th 03, 09:30 PM
DDEckerslyke

Ray Keene