200 Words by Lev Khariton

Old July 17th 03, 03:39 AM
Nick

Default 200 Words by Lev Khariton

"Jerzy" wrote in message ...
"Louis Blair" wrote in message
Jerzy wrote:
Fine wrote several fine chess books and I would not
call them "schizophrenic and better off when blank".

Edward Winter once wrote, "it is important to distinguish
between Reuben Fine's excellent works on the openings
and endings, and his pot-boilers on chess history."

And we are back to the starting point.
Read Nick post:

"Making serious accusations without providing enough, if any, supporting
evidence seems fashionable among some people in the world of chess
(including some writers at rec.games.chess.misc)."

So Winter belongs to the category.

Dear Jerzy,

I am not certain that you have understood the primary intention of my post here
(to Louis Blair) from which you quoted that statement above. My statement was
referring primarily to GM Reuben Fine's allegation (as reported by Louis Blair)
that "Bogoljubow had some of his rivals put in concentration camps by the
Nazis..." In my view, being accused of responsibility for sending people to
Nazi concentration camps is a much more grave accusation than being accused of
being a bad, or even a deranged, writer of chess books. As far as I know, I
doubt that Bogoljubow had sufficient authority to order anyone to be sent to
a Nazi concentration camp.

By the way, I am not necessarily defending Edward Winter here. My impression
is that Winter tends to be quite pedantic and perhaps sometimes too critical.
I prefer not to make any comment on his many writings that I have not read yet.

--Nick