Eating some crow, but not minding the taste.

Old July 17th 03, 08:56 PM
Bruce Draney

Default Eating some crow, but not minding the taste.

Wow!!

I must say that I was astonished in several ways by the first OMOV
election. First, the number of voters was not as high as I had
originally predicted back a few months ago, but was about twice what I
thought it would be do to office screwups and logistical problems
involving postage and dates.

Most surprising however was that not only did Beatriz get elected,
but so did another candidate that I was supporting, Tim Hanke. I
thought Tim would do poorly, possibly finishing last or at best 5th
out of 6.

I was very happy to see Dr. Wagner get defeated. Dr. Wagner in my
opinion, never took his position seriously and merely felt he could
get away with the same non-campaigning strategy that he had gotten
away with in last year's election where he said virtually nothing
about his views or positions and was one of the top vote getters.

I will take back a lot of the negative things I have said in the
past about OMOV based upon this initial election, however I will note
that the "Old Guard" still maintains enough influence to elect Don
back into power.

What would be most fascinating would be to do a focus group or
follow up study on how many of those voting were under 21, and how
many of them were over 45? Another interesting thing to look at would
be their motivation for voting for whom they did? Did they vote for
Hanke because of their dislike of 3 or more other candidates or
because they saw him as an outspoken, fresh new face who has some
experience directing a non-profit?

I think that Beatriz's strong finish is a further indication of the
tremendous growing power of the scholastic lobby. Beatriz is a fair
minded and intelligent individual that I have a large amount of
respect for. I also have known Beatriz personally for about 7 years
as well.

I see both encouragement and discouragement in the Sam Sloan
situation. I think it is a travesty when a hardworking, honest and
qualified individual like Mike Petersen finishes behind someone like
Sam. On the other hand I am heartened by the fact that even with
everyone being allowed to vote that Sam still is not considered a
serious candidate by most voters.

In the meantime, it is MOST refreshing to have Mike Nolan who chairs
the USCF election affairs committee announce the results before Bill
Goichberg does. At least Mike serves the role as official USCF
spokesman, whereas Bill serves the role as privileged insider most of
the time in my view.

Now if Mike can also be the first to announce financial information
that is official for USCF I will be ecstatic.

Glimmer of hope for the future?
A small crack has been opened to a potentially bright future at
USCF. Will it quickly be sealed back up? Only time will tell. There
is a possibility that a realignment of the Board could occur with
these results. I have heard through inside sources that Frank Brady
is not happy with the current situation. Should Brady defect to a new
coalition, he Shutt, Marinello and Hanke could actually develop a
majority set of votes on the Board, that could expel McCrary from the
Presidency and replace Camaratta as the Treasurer. This could have
huge ramfications on the course of USCF should it occur.

The real question is, can Hanke and Brady, get together with
Marinello and Shutt and work together as a meaningful coalition. If
Beatriz just becomes another pro-scholastic Board member, and lines up
to support McCrary and Camaratta in return for their votes, then Brady
and Hanke will most likely have to play ball or merely become flies in
the ointment.

Hanke can definitely make some noise and he is the whistleblower
that people like myself have been hoping for, for sometimes. He is
outspoken, unafraid to say and do what he thinks and obviously not
afraid to smash some heads and kick some butt.

Best of luck to all of the new electees. It would be nice to see
Don, McCrary and Frank C. reduced to a minority voice on the new
board, but I'm not going to hold my breath or get my hopes up too
high.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old July 17th 03, 11:05 PM
Mike Nolan

(Bruce Draney) writes:

In the meantime, it is MOST refreshing to have Mike Nolan who chairs
the USCF election affairs committee announce the results before Bill
Goichberg does. At least Mike serves the role as official USCF
spokesman, whereas Bill serves the role as privileged insider most of
the time in my view.

To be accurate, Bill Goichberg and I co-chair the Election Procedures
Committee, so Bill had equal status as a spokeman in this instance even
if I beat him to the net. (BTW, we co-chaired this committee last year,
too, though we didn't do NEARLY as much work.)

Now if Mike can also be the first to announce financial information
that is official for USCF I will be ecstatic.

Assuming you mean audited results, it is kind of tough to just announce that,
as the audited financials will be lengthy and summarizing a few lines from
it is often perceived as spin control.

I would agree, though, that the audit report should be put on the website
as soon as possible after it is received.

majority set of votes on the Board, that could expel McCrary from the
Presidency and replace Camaratta as the Treasurer. This could have
huge ramfications on the course of USCF should it occur.

The biggest problem with the Board electing its own officers is that there
really is only one person on the Board right now with the requisite
financial skills to be the VP-Finance, Frank Camaratta, and that probably
doesn't change in August.

So, if you want Frank and John out, who would you suggest take their
places? I'm fairly sure you wouldn't want Don as President again, or as
VP-Finance, and I doubt that Beatriz or Tim will be able to line up the
votes to be elected President.
--
Mike Nolan

Old July 17th 03, 11:25 PM
Tim Hanke

"Mike Nolan" wrote ...

I doubt that Beatriz or Tim will be able to line up the
votes to be elected President.

I don't think I'm ready to be President anyway. Maybe Secretary, for
starters. I could probably do that job well, since I am basically a
professional communicator.

Tim Hanke

Old July 18th 03, 12:27 AM
StanB

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I don't think I'm ready to be President anyway. Maybe Secretary, for
starters. I could probably do that job well, since I am basically a
professional communicator.

I nominate Tim for secretary.

Tim, how come the minutes of the election count haven't been posted yet?

StanB

Old July 18th 03, 02:51 AM
Mark Houlsby

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message news:[email protected]
"Mike Nolan" wrote ...

I doubt that Beatriz or Tim will be able to line up the
votes to be elected President.

I don't think I'm ready to be President anyway. Maybe Secretary, for
starters. I could probably do that job well, since I am basically a
professional communicator.

Tim Hanke

Yes. It's easy to see how you would make a living from your awesome
communication skills.

Cindy Tsai, in particular, must be delighted that you now represent
her, and will, no doubt, have great confidence in your communicating
on her behalf....

Mark Houlsby

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R3CA21E45

"Bugger the Chinese. Next you will be telling us our calendar is all
wrong
too, and this is really 4700, the Year of the Ram.

Tim Hanke (born in 4655, the Year of the Dog)
--
I am a candidate for the U.S. Chess Federation Executive Board in the
2003

posted by Tim Hanke Date:2003-06-02 17:18:59 PST
Old July 18th 03, 03:54 AM
StanB

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

I don't think I'm ready to be President anyway.

Will you be attending your coronation in LA?

StanB

Old July 18th 03, 04:27 AM
Parrthenon

GOICHBERG'S PHONEBANKS SILENT

By Larry Parr

Several years ago, Bruce Draney and yours truly had an extended
discussion -- to employ a neutral word -- over the role of Bill Goichberg in
OMOV elections. It reached the point where Mr. Draney argued that there would
be nationwide phone banks, manned by hundreds of volunteers or paid flunkies
making literally tens of thousands of phone calls, to ensure that Goichbergites
would win positions on the Policy Board.

Such, so far, has not happened. Nationwide phonebanks costing tens of
thousands of dollars, manned by hundreds of drone-flunkies, did not play a
noticeable role in the first elections. I would go so far as to maintain that
no such nationwide phonebanks existed. None. Not a one.

For the second OMOV elections, you may expect a significant increase in
the vote, if the same logistical problems are not replicated, and the final
results will be largely unpredictable. Anyone may win. I plan to campaign
hard for the late George Cunningham and Bob Cohen.

My only dissent from what Mr. Draney writes below is the idea that Sam
Sloan was rejected by the voters overwhelmingly. I don't see that at all. The
final tallies were close enough to show that among the 1,800 voters, only
Marinello stood out much. Sam was right in there and will likely win one of
these years if he keeps trying.

As for Marinello, she's pro-drug testing and a FIDE type, and one hopes
that Tim Hanke will bring up the drug testing issue very strongly with the new
board. It's far from a dead issue as the Historian claims.

Old July 18th 03, 05:46 AM
ASCACHESS

The biggest problem with the Board electing its own officers is that there
really is only one person on the Board right now with the requisite
financial skills to be the VP-Finance, Frank Camaratta, and that probably
doesn't change in August.

I'm fairly sure you wouldn't want Don as President again, or as
VP-Finance, and I doubt that Beatriz or Tim will be able to line up the
votes to be elected President.

I think you vastly underestimate Tim.
He has run the non-profit Scleroderma group and is certainly better equiped
than the incumbent.

Rp
Old July 18th 03, 06:05 AM
RSHaas

"As for Marinello, she's pro-drug testing and a FIDE type, and one hopes
that Tim Hanke will bring up the drug testing issue very strongly with the new
board. It's far from a dead issue as the Historian claims." (Larry Parr)
USCF politics makes for strange fed bellows. (RSHaas)