The Virtue of Not Being Associated With Don Schultz

Old July 18th 03, 04:40 PM
ASCACHESS

Default The Virtue of Not Being Associated With Don Schultz

An argument seems to be brewing on whether word of actual disagreements between
the candidates here on the RGCP are more important than the watered down (speak
no evil) candidates statements allowed in Chess Life.

I don't know the answer.

However, one of the people elected, Tim Hanke, is not exactly a household word
in the chess world. While that is true, he is likely to be one of the more
effective EB members we have had in a while based on his non-profit experience
with the Scleroderma group where he works.

If we can all agree that he is not one of the best known names, how did he get
elected?
Could it be that Tim was elected because he was NOT Don Schultz, NOT Sam Sloan,
and was NOT endorsed by either of the above.
Could it be that Tim's surprise second place finish was based on the voters
just having had enough of hidden financials, lies about past results, and
endless excuses for a lack of performance?
Tim represented the perfect "none of the above".

I have no advice for the candidate.
He was the one elected and I hope he sticks to his guns. For my money, he has
the facts about right.
I only hope he can avoid the sleazy political seductions for which Red
Management are famous.
Stick to your guns Tim.
You may not have many friends on the board, but you will have many in the RGCP.

Richard Peterson
Old July 18th 03, 04:45 PM
Tim Hanke

"ASCACHESS" wrote ...
[...]

Richard,

Thanks. :-)

I am hoping Frank Camaratta will offer me p. 10 in the USCF Catalog for my
Chess Trivia Game. We know he has the first 9 pages locked up for his House
of Staunton products. ;-)

Tim Hanke

Old July 18th 03, 05:23 PM
Mike Nolan

"Tim Hanke" writes:

I am hoping Frank Camaratta will offer me p. 10 in the USCF Catalog for my
Chess Trivia Game. We know he has the first 9 pages locked up for his House
of Staunton products. ;-)

But that would be an egregious conflict of interest!
--
Mike Nolan
Old July 18th 03, 06:11 PM
Mike Nolan

"Tim Hanke" writes:

I'm glad you finally noticed.

I noted that all along. I also recall an extended discussion about whether
it would be a profitable proposition for the USCF to stock or carry your
trivia game and suggested several factors that should be considered when
making a sound business decision.

As you are now a Board member-elect, I hope that you believe in having
the USCF make sound business decisions.

Your election should not alter the fiscal merits of your potential business
arrangements with the Federation, to act otherwise would most certainly raise
a conflict of interest.

However, I also think it is imprudent for the USCF to deny itself the
opportunity to do business with Board members or others, under reasonable
terms and conditions of course, merely because there is the potential
for a conflict of interest.
--
Mike Nolan
Old July 18th 03, 08:03 PM
ASCACHESS

As you are now a Board member-elect, I hope that you believe in having
the USCF make sound business decisions.

Your election should not alter the fiscal merits of your potential business
arrangements with the Federation, to act otherwise would most certainly raise
a conflict of interest.

However, I also think it is imprudent for the USCF to deny itself the
opportunity to do business with Board members or others, under reasonable
terms and conditions of course, merely because there is the potential
for a conflict of interest.
--
Mike Nolan

Mike,
Has it ever occured to you to take the high road just once?

We don't want or need the "potential for a conflict of interest". There are
too many other problems.

Richard Peterson

Old July 19th 03, 11:26 AM
RMille9601

Wagner losing, was that a vote AGAINST the present Board?

Mike G has a point about all postive talk and no negative except for the Jim
Eade mailing which we don't know how large that was.

Got my delegates call today. Seems like some of the standing items need to be
updated. What committe should be in charge of that.

Russell Miller, Chelan WA
Old July 19th 03, 09:02 PM
StanB

"Mike Nolan" wrote in message

"Tim Hanke" writes:

I am hoping Frank Camaratta will offer me p. 10 in the USCF Catalog for

my
Chess Trivia Game. We know he has the first 9 pages locked up for his

House
of Staunton products. ;-)

But that would be an egregious conflict of interest!

One hopes Tim will offer the same terms as Frank. Net 365.

StanB

Old July 19th 03, 09:04 PM
StanB

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

But that would be an egregious conflict of interest!
--

I'm glad you finally noticed.

Tim,

As a chess player do you find your serving on the board a conflict of
interest?

StanB

Old July 19th 03, 09:37 PM
Tim Hanke

"Sam Sloan" wrote ...
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:45:54 -0400, "Tim Hanke"
wrote:

I am hoping Frank Camaratta will offer me p. 10 in the USCF Catalog for

my
Chess Trivia Game. We know he has the first 9 pages locked up for his

House
of Staunton products. ;-)

Tim Hanke

This is outrageous. Hanke campaigns on an anti-corruption campaign and
upon being elected the first thing he asks for is preferential
treatment in the USCF catalog for his chess-trivia game.

For those of you who have not been following this, Hanke says that he
has invented a "chess-trivia" game, presumably a question and answer
type game.

However, the game has not yet been produced, nor has anyone other than
Mr. Hanke seen it.

The game has no proven market. Not one person has bought the game.
Hanke says that he was not want the USCF to stock the game. Instead,
he will sell the game on an order fulfillment basis and he will pay
15% to the USCF for every order the USCF sends him.

Neither the USCF not any other retailer would make such a deal for any
but the very largest and most well established manufacturers of a
popular product. No startup company with a new unproven product gets
such a deal.

On top of that, Hanke wants USCF catalog space for his unproven game.
Since he is now on the board, he obviously expects this.

An outrage.

Sam Sloan

Sam,

Um, the campaign is over. No need to keep lying about me.

Tim Hanke

Old July 19th 03, 10:56 PM

wrote:

[...]

Fine. If what I said it wrong, then tell us what is right.

I am just reporting what you said on this newsgroup back in January.

At the time, I thought that you must be joking, but now that you have
brought it up again just after winning the election, it seems that you
must be serious.