Election questions

Old July 19th 03, 03:58 AM
Bill Smythe

Default Election questions

"sandirhodes" wrote:
.... if we are going to run the candidates statements in
3 issues of Chess Life, the statements can be rotated. Ballot order
notwithstanding, each candidate has the opportunity to be on the first of
the 3 pages, with no compromise to lottery position of the ballot. ....

For that matter, candidate position on the ballot could be rotated, too. On
one-sixth of the ballots, Sam Sloan could have been first; on another sixth,
Tim Hanke; on another, Beatriz; etc. Is this idea too radical to be
reasonable, or just too reasonable ever to be implemented?

Bill Smythe

Old July 19th 03, 04:33 AM
Mike Nolan

"Bill Smythe" writes:

"sandirhodes" wrote:
.... if we are going to run the candidates statements in
3 issues of Chess Life, the statements can be rotated. Ballot order
notwithstanding, each candidate has the opportunity to be on the first of
the 3 pages, with no compromise to lottery position of the ballot. ....

For that matter, candidate position on the ballot could be rotated, too. On
one-sixth of the ballots, Sam Sloan could have been first; on another sixth,
Tim Hanke; on another, Beatriz; etc. Is this idea too radical to be
reasonable, or just too reasonable ever to be implemented?

Um, I'm not sure I understand. You want several different ballot styles
inserted into the magazine? If we inkjetted the candidates names on
the ballots that might be possible, but otherwise you're talking greatly
increasing the number of split runs and the cost. (This year there were
two: with and without ballot.) There may also be postal regulations that
limit the number of split runs, or increase the per-copy rate.

According to Jami, we may have saved a little money (perhaps around $2000)
by using the inkjetting process versus tipping a label on the cover,
and since this enabled us to bar code the cover we avoided a non-compliance
penalty of $10,000 by the postal services.

Jami would have the specifics about how it cost above the usual cost of
the magazine to bind in the ballot.
--
Mike Nolan