Will anybody who voted for Tim Hanke please speak up?

Old July 20th 03, 12:58 AM

Default Will anybody who voted for Tim Hanke please speak up?

Will anybody who voted for Tim Hanke please speak up?

We would like to know why you voted for him, so that we can understand
the significance of this election.

The chess world has been shocked by the election of Tim Hanke. Nobody,
not one person, supported his election campaign. So far, not one
person has come forward to say that he voted for Hanke.

There have even been suggestions that the vote was rigged or the
ballot box stuffed.

Yet, Hanke was one of the top vote getters in almost every region
across the US, so these conspiracy theories have to be discounted.

On December 17, 2002, Hanke posted a message entitled "I am packing my
bags ... " in which he stated that he was dropping out of chess
politics. Yet, only three weeks later, Hanke announced that he was
running for election.

Hanke did not seem to be taking his campaign seriously. He often made
racist, sexist and even pornographic remarks. One of his quotes was,
"Bugger the Chinese".

His campaign platform consisted of dismantling the USCF. He campaigned
to uncouple Chess Life from the USCF and to expel scholastic members
from the USCF, ideas which nobody interested in the future of the USCF
would favor.

Everybody, including probably Hanke himself, expected him to finish
last. Nobody thought he would be elected.

Here are some possible reasons why Hanke was elected. However, we will
not know the answer until the voters who voted for him speak up:

1. Hanke talks more than anybody else. Not only is he one of the most
active posters to this group, but he was posting regularly to e-mail
groups before these newsgroups even existed. Therefore, Hanke was much
better known than most people realized.

2. Hanke often attacked FIDE President Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, calling
Kirsan a murderer. This gave Hanke the anti-Kirsan vote.

3. Leroy Dubeck, in announcing Steve Doyle as a write-in candidate,
sent out a letter calling for votes for Hanke as well as Doyle. It is
unlikely that Dubeck knew what Hanke really stood for.

4. Nobody took Hanke seriously as a candidate and therefore nobody
attacked him. By contrast, I was attacked more than any other
candidate. I was attacked by Jim Eade in a letter to the voters, the
only letter sent out in this entire campaign. John Fernandez, Bruce
Draney, George John, Stan Booz, Tom Klem, Richard Peterson and several
others attacked me relentlessly. Bill Goichberg posted a website
attacking me. They attacked me because they thought that I might win.
They never thought that Hanke would win, and so they left him alone.

This is only the beginning of a list of possible reasons why Hanke was
elected. However, this is all speculation. Nobody really knows. This
is why I would like to hear from people who actually voted for Hanke,
so that they can tell us why they voted for him.

Old July 20th 03, 02:08 AM
HAASpittle

Hey, Sam... re Hanke.... stuff it whydontcha?

Old July 20th 03, 04:09 AM
StanB

"Bill Smythe" wrote in message

I think most of us were mildly stunned, but not deeply shocked, by Hanke's
victory. And most of us see that, at least, Hanke's ability to call 'em

as
he sees 'em is refreshing, perhaps even much-needed.

.... Here are some possible reasons why Hanke was elected. ....
.... Hanke talks more than anybody else. ....

Maybe so. If so, that may bode well for future elections. Other things
being equal, those who communicate ought to finish ahead of those who do
not.

I for one was applying past influences when the delegates held sway. Now I
am intrigued by Duncan's notion that the campaign statements published in
Chess Life may have been the deciding factor. How else does one explain
Sam's vote tally. Almost certainly the vast majority knew of him only
through his campaign statement. Beatrice had name recognition and Timmy was
a Vet at the right time.

StanB

Old July 20th 03, 04:50 AM
Louis Blair

Sam Sloan wrote (Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:09:36 GMT):

But, you did not answer the question:

Did you vote for Tim Hanke? Yes or No?

_
"I admit I didn't vote because I didn't realize the postmark
thing. I headed over on the 9th with a bunch of packages
and realized my error." - John Fernandez (18 Jul 2003
07:03:03 GMT)

Old July 20th 03, 05:43 AM
Tim Hanke

"StanB" wrote ...

He was one of my three choices. For the reason stated above and because he
can field strip an M-16.

Yeah, but only God can prevent the friggin' thing from jamming.

Tim Hanke

Old July 20th 03, 07:48 AM
John & LaVerne McCumiskey

Greetings!

Just to answerSam's question (I assume the thread started with him, but
I can't find the start of it through my ISP), I voted for Hanke as I
publically said I would months ago. Other than the fact I felt he was
forthright with his thoughts and idea, and took the time to answer
questions rather than babble.

One other reason, if my memory serves me correctly, was that Sam also
said something to the effect that Hanke would only get one vote ... his
own.

Looks to me like he got a whole bunch more than two votes ....

John McCumiskey

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn
the world, but to save the world through Him. John 3:17

Old July 20th 03, 08:37 AM
Don Mihokovich

(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
[...]

Sam Sloan

I think you are giving rgcp too much credit. I believe that it is a
small minority of voters that actually read this stuff. Many people
voted on what they read in Chess Life alone; and Tim is a good writer.

KidDon