Needless Chess Life Expense

Old July 20th 03, 06:59 AM
ComputerlessBrother

Default Needless Chess Life Expense

Why did we have the needless expense of 3 issues of Chess Life with
candidate statements?

I know that bylaws or delegate motion provides for a Free statement in
ONE issue of Chess Life. Can somebody explain why statements appeared
in 3 consecutive issues?

Were any of these statements Paid for by the candidates?

Was there such a lack of chess news that the statements were used as
filler material??

I suppose you maybe (?) could argue that the first OMOV election was
news, but 3 issues worth of news?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that after the 2nd or 3rd month of
this that Chess Life newstand sales [what little there are] had
decreased. IMO 3 issues is clearly not justifiable.

Lawrence Cohen
Old July 20th 03, 07:19 AM
George John

"ComputerlessBrother" wrote in message
om...

-snip-

I know that bylaws or delegate motion provides for a Free statement in
ONE issue of Chess Life.

Please quote from the Bylaws any statement or statements that support your
contention above.

-snip-

"Each duly nominated candidate who has met the requirements established in
Section 4 is entitled to a 150 word statement plus photo in the issue of
Chess Life published no later than April 10 of the election year, plus
reasonable and equitable space on the USCF website. Election supplements
shall accompany or be inserted in issues of Chess Life published no later
than May 10 and June 10 of the election year. Each duly nominated candidate
who has met the requirements established in Section 4 is entitled to
one-half page of space in each election supplement. The purchase of
additional campaign space in the election supplements or other USCF
publications is prohibited."

George

Old July 20th 03, 06:03 PM
StanB

"George John" wrote in message
. ..

The six candidates paid USCF a total of $1,500 for the pages, which was
clear profit because USCF was going to print the pages anyway.

There are opportunity costs to consider.

Yea like the opportunity to pay someone to write something for those pages.
If you can't cover a membership election in the membership magazine where
can you put it? On the website? Hahahahahahahahaahah.

StanB

Old July 21st 03, 05:23 AM
ComputerlessBrother

"Tim Hanke" wrote in message . net...
"ComputerlessBrother" wrote ...
Why did we have the needless expense of 3 issues of Chess Life with
candidate statements?

It was only two issues, not three.

George John's post [after yours] states 1 free issue & 2 paid issues.

The six candidates paid USCF a total of $1,500 for the pages, which was
clear profit because USCF was going to print the pages anyway.

This was the first-ever open election: how were the voters going to know
anything about the candidates if their statements *weren't* published in the
magazine? The alternative seems to be forcing the candidates to rely on
personal spending to conduct direct-mail campaigns, which makes it into a
pure contest of pocketbooks.

Tim Hanke

I wasn't objecting to having the statements in Chess Life. I was
objecting to the possibilty that they were ALL FREE! As you have
pointed out these were statements paid for by the candidates. This
was not mentioned in Chess Life with the statments.

I see no objection to paid statements by the candidates being in Chess
Life, as all the candidates were able to print statements. This was
fair and equitable for all concerned.

Lawrence Cohen