A Chess forum. ChessBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ChessBanter forum » Chess Newsgroups » rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 20th 03, 10:57 AM
Sam Sloan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

As soon as it became apparent that Tim Hanke had won election to the
USCF Executive Board, somebody asked whether Hanke would be willing to
serve since, during the election campaign, Hanke had not seemed
serious about wanting to be elected.

Indeed, throughout the campaign, Hanke had constantly made racist,
sexist, obscene and derogatory remarks, the kind of remarks that
nobody makes who wants to be elected. It seemed apparent that Hanke
was running as a lark. He was not running as a serious candidate.

Now that Hanke has won the election, he is suddenly complaining that
he wants his expenses paid, including his airplane ticket and hotel
bills for a week of delegate meetings next month. Apparently, Hanke
did not realize that he is running for a VOLUNTEER POSITION. Delegates
do not have, and have never had, their expenses paid.

Probably one reason Hanke did not know this is that he has never
attended a USCF meeting of any kind. Hanke did not even attend the
2001 USCF Delegate's meeting in Boston, although he lives in Boston.
Had Hanke ever attended a meeting, he would know that these meetings
are attended by more than one hundred delegates, none of whom have any
of their expenses paid.

Ever since winning the election on Wednesday, Hanke has been calling
the USCF offices asking to be provided with airplane tickets to fly to
Los Angeles. He has made it clear that he will not attend the meetings
unless his expenses are paid.

Let me make this clear, Mr. Hanke: You have been elected to a
volunteer position with a four year term of office. This is only the
beginning. The Executive Board will meet four times a year for the
next four years. Each of those meetings will last two or three days.
You will be expected to attend those meetings. You will not be
compensated for your time in attending those meetings. Some of your
expenses will be paid, but not all of your expenses. You will never be
paid in advance of the meetings. You will be required to pay your own
expenses, and then apply for reimbursement. You will be reimbursed if
and only if the secretary signs off that you are entitled to
reimbursement.

You cannot expect to come out ahead on this deal. Your incentive for
serving on the board will be your love of chess and your interest in
the development of chess. You are expected to spend both your time and
your money for these purposes, without compensation.

If you did not understand this, you should not have run for this
election. Now that you do understand this, you should decline the
office unless you are prepared to serve under these conditions.

Here are some recent quotes from Tim Hanke on this subject:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:14:56 -0400, in rec.games.chess.politics "Tim
Hanke" wrote:

The frigging process as it stands now is far from reasonable.

This morning I talked to Barb Vandermark, Frank Niro's assistant. I asked
her (among other questions) when I would hear anything official from USCF
about my election to the Board.

She said my election wouldn't be official till the Delegates ratify the
election. This won't happen till just before the new Board meets on August
11. Obviously I will have to buy plane tickets to L.A. weeks before that, if
I am to get any kind of reasonable price and arrive on time for the meeting.

But wait, there's more. Because I won't be a Board member till the Delegates
ratify the election results, USCF (per USCF President John McCrary, whom
Barb consulted) won't pay my expenses before that date. Till August 10 or
so, I'm a non-person as far as USCF is concerned.

Problem is, all the USCF committee meetings (Financial Committee, Bylaws,
etc.), where the real work gets done, are scheduled for *before* the
Delegates meeting. So if I want to participate in any of the real work of
the USCF's annual meeting, I will have to pay the cost of several days of
hotel & meals.

This does not exactly encourage me to attend the committee meetings and hit
the ground running, fully-informed and knowing all the key people, when the
new Board finally meets.

Meanwhile, all the members of the lame-duck Board are fully covered for
their expenses throughout the committee meetings, even if they will not be
on the Board any longer when the Board actually meets Aug. 11.

To me, this is all frigging ridiculous. I am fully prepared to give up my
hard-earned vacation time to help the USCF, but I was expecting at least to
get reimbursed for major out-of-pocket expenses. As a working person, my
time is money; I am also giving up my family vacation.

Tim Hanke


On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:55:54 -0400, in rec.games.chess.politics "Tim
Hanke" wrote:

But if I hadn't been elected, I would certainly not be using my hard-earned
summer vacation to travel across the continent to L.A., without my family,
at my own expense. I mean, let's be realistic. I'm only going to this thing
if I have a role to play.

Tim Hanke


  #2  
Old July 20th 03, 02:55 PM
Tim Hanke
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

"Sam Sloan" wrote ...

Indeed, throughout the campaign, Hanke had constantly made racist,
sexist, obscene and derogatory remarks, the kind of remarks that
nobody makes who wants to be elected. It seemed apparent that Hanke
was running as a lark. He was not running as a serious candidate.


False.

Delegates
do not have, and have never had, their expenses paid.


False. Please note: I am a Board member, not a Delegate. The USCF Office
told me Board members are eligible for expense reimbursement, but not till
they take office.

Probably one reason Hanke did not know this is that he has never
attended a USCF meeting of any kind. Hanke did not even attend the
2001 USCF Delegate's meeting in Boston, although he lives in Boston.
Had Hanke ever attended a meeting, he would know that these meetings
are attended by more than one hundred delegates, none of whom have any
of their expenses paid.


I am not a DELEGATE, you idiot.

Ever since winning the election on Wednesday, Hanke has been calling
the USCF offices asking to be provided with airplane tickets to fly to
Los Angeles.


False again. I called the USCF once, and I did not ask "to be provided with
plane tickets" or anything else. I merely asked what the policy was.

He has made it clear that he will not attend the meetings
unless his expenses are paid.


False. I never said that, and I plan to attend the meetings whether my
expenses are paid or not.

Sam, I'm sorry for your unhappiness over the election results. But surely
you knew your chances were minimal. It's time for you to pull yourself
together and move on.

Tim Hanke


  #3  
Old July 20th 03, 03:53 PM
Sam Sloan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:55:51 GMT, "Tim Hanke"
wrote:

"Sam Sloan" wrote ...

Indeed, throughout the campaign, Hanke had constantly made racist,
sexist, obscene and derogatory remarks, the kind of remarks that
nobody makes who wants to be elected. It seemed apparent that Hanke
was running as a lark. He was not running as a serious candidate.


False.


Louis Blair, I am sure, will provide us with 50 direct quotes where
you made racist, sexist, obscene and derogatory remarks, during the
election campaign. I do not have time to look them up, but here is one
example:

From: Tim Hanke )
Subject: Yo Candidate Hanke
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.politics
Date: 2003-01-30 18:45:52 PST

P.S. I am shocked and appalled that a thread with my name on it has
degenerated into a discussion of strippers and copulation with young
girls. Shocked and appalled. We might as well stop discussing chess
politics and start mud-wrestling.

I call I get to mud-wrestle with Beatriz.

Tim Hanke
--
I am a candidate for the U.S. Chess Federation Executive Board in the
2003 election. Please visit my website at http://www.timothyhanke.net.


Delegates do not have, and have never had, their expenses paid.


False. Please note: I am a Board member, not a Delegate. The USCF Office
told me Board members are eligible for expense reimbursement, but not till
they take office.


You are just amazing. You are not a member of the Board, and you know
it. You will not become a member of the board until August 11 and then
only provided that the delegates certify the election results. Based
upon your conduct since winning the election, I think it is possible
that the delegates will refuse to certify your election.

Probably one reason Hanke did not know this is that he has never
attended a USCF meeting of any kind. Hanke did not even attend the
2001 USCF Delegate's meeting in Boston, although he lives in Boston.
Had Hanke ever attended a meeting, he would know that these meetings
are attended by more than one hundred delegates, none of whom have any
of their expenses paid.


I am not a DELEGATE, you idiot.


If you are not even a delegate, then why do you expect your air fare
and hotel expenses and meals to be paid so that you can attend the
meetings?

Ever since winning the election on Wednesday, Hanke has been calling
the USCF offices asking to be provided with airplane tickets to fly to
Los Angeles.


False again. I called the USCF once, and I did not ask "to be provided with
plane tickets" or anything else. I merely asked what the policy was.


If you were running for election, you should have known what the
policy was. All of the other candidates knew it.

He has made it clear that he will not attend the meetings
unless his expenses are paid.


False. I never said that, and I plan to attend the meetings whether my
expenses are paid or not.


This is certainly not suggested by your remarks.

Sam, I'm sorry for your unhappiness over the election results. But surely
you knew your chances were minimal. It's time for you to pull yourself
together and move on.

Tim Hanke


This is not about the election. I knew that with the host of heavy
weights attacking me, including Jim Eade, Al Lawrence, Bill Goichberg,
John Fernandez, Bruce Draney, George John, Stan Booz, Neil Brennen,
Tom Klem, Richard Peterson and several others who attacked me
relentlessly, my chances of winning were not that good. However,
several of those who attacked me did not attack you because they
thought that you had no chance to be elected. They are probably having
second thoughts now, especially Jim Eade, who must not have
appreciated your frequent comments suggesting sex with his wife's
sister.

Sam Sloan
  #4  
Old July 20th 03, 04:04 PM
Tim Hanke
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

"Sam Sloan" wrote ...

Based upon your conduct since winning the election, I think it is possible
that the delegates will refuse to certify your election.


BWAHAHAHAHA

From all the evidence I have seen, I think it is remarkable you were even
certified as a candidate.

You are going back in my killfile now, but it's been fun reading your
interesting point of view. :-)

Tim Hanke


  #5  
Old July 20th 03, 04:45 PM
ASCACHESS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?


You are going back in my killfile now, but it's been fun reading your
interesting point of view. :-)

Tim Hanke


Kilfiling Sam Sloan is the heart of wisdom.
  #6  
Old July 20th 03, 05:50 PM
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

Tim,

May I suggest just ignoring Sam. I know when someone makes accusations that
you may feel compelled to defend yourself. In Sam's case I would just
ignore him. By defending yourself you truly are sinking to his level.

Chris


"Tim Hanke" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
"Sam Sloan" wrote ...

Based upon your conduct since winning the election, I think it is

possible
that the delegates will refuse to certify your election.


BWAHAHAHAHA

From all the evidence I have seen, I think it is remarkable you were even
certified as a candidate.

You are going back in my killfile now, but it's been fun reading your
interesting point of view. :-)

Tim Hanke




  #7  
Old July 20th 03, 06:26 PM
Russ Chewning a.k.a. Pogue
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

Sam,

I hardly EVER post to the group, but let me make my stance
abundantly clear. I voted for Tim because he seems to be a person who
has the best interests of chess in mind. It really was a toss up
between him and you. Why did I not pick you? Because your people
skills are ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. Having read only a few of your
posts, you strike me as a sad sad person who likes to attack others,
likes to brag, and thinks little of other people's opinions. You did
have some good ideas for the USCF, but you would have driven the other
Board members nuts, and they would have hated you, and you would have
gotten no work done.

Now, you lost.. Get over it. If you ever aspire to making a
change in the USCF, you really need to sit back and take a look at the
stuff you post on here. Conspiracy theories, personal attacks, etc.

Get...a...life...

Pogue



(Sam Sloan) wrote in message ...
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:55:51 GMT, "Tim Hanke"
wrote:

"Sam Sloan" wrote ...

Indeed, throughout the campaign, Hanke had constantly made racist,
sexist, obscene and derogatory remarks, the kind of remarks that
nobody makes who wants to be elected. It seemed apparent that Hanke
was running as a lark. He was not running as a serious candidate.


False.


Louis Blair, I am sure, will provide us with 50 direct quotes where
you made racist, sexist, obscene and derogatory remarks, during the
election campaign. I do not have time to look them up, but here is one
example:

From: Tim Hanke )
Subject: Yo Candidate Hanke
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.politics
Date: 2003-01-30 18:45:52 PST

P.S. I am shocked and appalled that a thread with my name on it has
degenerated into a discussion of strippers and copulation with young
girls. Shocked and appalled. We might as well stop discussing chess
politics and start mud-wrestling.

I call I get to mud-wrestle with Beatriz.

Tim Hanke
--
I am a candidate for the U.S. Chess Federation Executive Board in the
2003 election. Please visit my website at
http://www.timothyhanke.net.


Delegates do not have, and have never had, their expenses paid.


False. Please note: I am a Board member, not a Delegate. The USCF Office
told me Board members are eligible for expense reimbursement, but not till
they take office.


You are just amazing. You are not a member of the Board, and you know
it. You will not become a member of the board until August 11 and then
only provided that the delegates certify the election results. Based
upon your conduct since winning the election, I think it is possible
that the delegates will refuse to certify your election.

Probably one reason Hanke did not know this is that he has never
attended a USCF meeting of any kind. Hanke did not even attend the
2001 USCF Delegate's meeting in Boston, although he lives in Boston.
Had Hanke ever attended a meeting, he would know that these meetings
are attended by more than one hundred delegates, none of whom have any
of their expenses paid.


I am not a DELEGATE, you idiot.


If you are not even a delegate, then why do you expect your air fare
and hotel expenses and meals to be paid so that you can attend the
meetings?

Ever since winning the election on Wednesday, Hanke has been calling
the USCF offices asking to be provided with airplane tickets to fly to
Los Angeles.


False again. I called the USCF once, and I did not ask "to be provided with
plane tickets" or anything else. I merely asked what the policy was.


If you were running for election, you should have known what the
policy was. All of the other candidates knew it.

He has made it clear that he will not attend the meetings
unless his expenses are paid.


False. I never said that, and I plan to attend the meetings whether my
expenses are paid or not.


This is certainly not suggested by your remarks.

Sam, I'm sorry for your unhappiness over the election results. But surely
you knew your chances were minimal. It's time for you to pull yourself
together and move on.

Tim Hanke


This is not about the election. I knew that with the host of heavy
weights attacking me, including Jim Eade, Al Lawrence, Bill Goichberg,
John Fernandez, Bruce Draney, George John, Stan Booz, Neil Brennen,
Tom Klem, Richard Peterson and several others who attacked me
relentlessly, my chances of winning were not that good. However,
several of those who attacked me did not attack you because they
thought that you had no chance to be elected. They are probably having
second thoughts now, especially Jim Eade, who must not have
appreciated your frequent comments suggesting sex with his wife's
sister.

Sam Sloan

  #8  
Old July 20th 03, 06:29 PM
George John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?


"Chris" wrote in message
...

-snip-

May I suggest just ignoring Sam. I know when someone makes accusations

that
you may feel compelled to defend yourself. In Sam's case I would just
ignore him. By defending yourself you truly are sinking to his level.


I think this is generally good advice. But my concern has been how many
readers will accept these "fantasies" as "facts", especially newbie's who
haven't learned that certain posters have a longstanding history of
frequently posting "facts" that are grossly misleading, grossly distorted,
and flat out wrong.

Some of these "facts" have been directed at me over the years. I have
largely ignore them, but not completely. What is in some ways most annoying
is that once a "fact" has been demonstrated as false, it all too often
reappears later as a "fact". It makes me think that the poster is either a
pathological liar, has a poor memory, or has a poor grasp of reality.

-snip-

George


  #9  
Old July 20th 03, 07:25 PM
Bruce Draney
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

George John wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
...

-snip-

May I suggest just ignoring Sam. I know when someone makes accusations

that
you may feel compelled to defend yourself. In Sam's case I would just
ignore him. By defending yourself you truly are sinking to his level.


I think this is generally good advice. But my concern has been how many
readers will accept these "fantasies" as "facts", especially newbie's who
haven't learned that certain posters have a longstanding history of
frequently posting "facts" that are grossly misleading, grossly distorted,
and flat out wrong.

Some of these "facts" have been directed at me over the years. I have
largely ignore them, but not completely. What is in some ways most annoying
is that once a "fact" has been demonstrated as false, it all too often
reappears later as a "fact". It makes me think that the poster is either a
pathological liar, has a poor memory, or has a poor grasp of reality.

-snip-

George


Actually George, no one listens to you, because you were killed several
months ago in a car crash in Budapest, Hungary, while analyzing a chess
position in the back of a taxi. Didn't you hear about it?

Best Regards,


Bruce
  #10  
Old July 20th 03, 07:27 PM
Bruce Draney
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Will Tim Hanke actually take his seat on the USCF Executive Board?

Russ Chewning a.k.a. Pogue wrote:

Sam,

I hardly EVER post to the group, but let me make my stance
abundantly clear. I voted for Tim because he seems to be a person who
has the best interests of chess in mind. It really was a toss up
between him and you. Why did I not pick you? Because your people
skills are ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. Having read only a few of your
posts, you strike me as a sad sad person who likes to attack others,
likes to brag, and thinks little of other people's opinions. You did
have some good ideas for the USCF, but you would have driven the other
Board members nuts, and they would have hated you, and you would have
gotten no work done.

Now, you lost.. Get over it. If you ever aspire to making a
change in the USCF, you really need to sit back and take a look at the
stuff you post on here. Conspiracy theories, personal attacks, etc.

Get...a...life...

Pogue


Actually, he's never been better. Other than these few small flaws
though, wouldn't you say he's an all around great guy?

Best Regards,

Bruce
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will anybody who voted for Tim Hanke please speak up? Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 36 August 19th 03 04:35 AM
Tim Hanke Chess Trivia Game Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 31 July 22nd 03 11:30 AM
USCF election results John Fernandez rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 34 July 20th 03 05:38 PM
USCF Upset Gunny Bunny rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 0 July 18th 03 12:03 PM
Will Bill announce election results this year before USCF? Bruce Draney rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 15 July 17th 03 06:55 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.