Kasparov vs Ponomariov match from Sept. 19

Old July 21st 03, 10:30 AM
Gunny Bunny

Default Kasparov vs Ponomariov match from Sept. 19

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/s...2106402000.htm

http://www.fide.com/news.asp?id=210

Kasparov vs Ponomariov match from Sept. 19

By Our Chess Correspondent

Chennai July 20. The FIDE World chess championship match between title
holder Ruslan Ponomariov of Ukraine and No.1 ranked Garry Kasparov of Russia
will be played in Yalta in Ukraine from September 19.

FIDE confirms this World title match and also adds that the opening move
will be made by the Russian President Vladimir Putin in the presence of the
Leonid Kuchma, President of Ukraine.

In an interview a few days back, Kasparov thinks Ponomariov will have the
home advantage.

"It's clear it (venue) wouldn't be my first choice but I'm more interested
in it happening at all at this point.'' This match is the first part of the
World chess championship Re-unification plan.

The winner will be FIDE World champion and would play the winner of the
match between World classical champion Vladimir Kramnik and Peter Leko. The
winner of the re-unified champion will be the absolute world champion and
that was originally scheduled for November 2003 but it is running behind
schedule.

Old July 21st 03, 11:43 AM
John Fernandez

It should be noted that players have not signed contracts yet.

John Fernandez
Old July 21st 03, 12:35 PM
Briarroot

Gunny Bunny wrote:

Kasparov vs Ponomariov match from Sept. 19

The winner will be FIDE World champion and would play the winner of the
match between World classical champion Vladimir Kramnik and Peter Leko. The
winner of the re-unified champion will be the absolute world champion and
that was originally scheduled for November 2003 but it is running behind
schedule.

Here's hoping this results in a Kramnik-Kasparov rematch, and
we can end all this nonsense of having 'two' world champions.
Old July 21st 03, 01:44 PM
Jerzy

"John Fernandez" wrote in message
It should be noted that players have not signed contracts yet.

Right John and so much time they have "wasted" so far ...

Regards,

Jerzy

Old July 21st 03, 03:20 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

Who is the other World Champion, besides Kramnik? Kasparov? He lost the
title in that 2000 December match.
Please don`t say "Ponomariov" for winning some stupid speed-game KO
tournament, because I don`t even consider that a valid answer.

Old July 21st 03, 03:20 PM
John Swartz

Briarroot wrote:

Gunny Bunny wrote:

Kasparov vs Ponomariov match from Sept. 19

The winner will be FIDE World champion and would play the winner of the
match between World classical champion Vladimir Kramnik and Peter Leko. The
winner of the re-unified champion will be the absolute world champion and
that was originally scheduled for November 2003 but it is running behind
schedule.

Here's hoping this results in a Kramnik-Kasparov rematch, and
we can end all this nonsense of having 'two' world champions.

Would be nice. Wonder what happens if both Ponomariov and Leko win, and
then the reunification match doesn't happen - will we have FOUR world
champions? ;-)

John
Old July 21st 03, 07:54 PM
Joshua B. Lilly

I do think Kasparov is still the best, but not nearly so dominant as before.
In today`s chess world, he`s an old man, it`s not like it was back in the
1930s when Lasker could hang with the younger world contenders. Humans are
performing in chess closer to the edge of possible strength than ever
before, and every ounce of calculating power factors into how great you can
be. At 40, according to what I`ve read, the human mind is already on a
decline for accurate calculation.

There`s a good chance that Leko actually WILL win against Kramnik,
especially if the Champion doesn`t take him seriously. Leko is thumping out
top-quality games these days and disdaining him will spell the end of
Kramnik`s reign.

I`m kind of worried what will happen if Kasparov loses, either to Ponomariov
or Kramnik. Even if Kramnik beats him, most still won`t think he is BETTER
than Kasparov (and he never will be better than Kasparov, it`s too late for
him to do that, we have to look at a younger player to match or someday
surpass Kasparov`s greatness... it`s only a matter of time, someone better
always comes along as the world population grows, health improves, training
methods from earlier ages, &c... humans evolve). But still, he`ll retain
his World Champion title, Kasparov will lose his last chance and won`t be
happy about it. I can`t realistically envision Kasparov being able to win a
24 game match against Kramnik or Leko when he turns 43 or 44, just don`t see
it happening.

But he won`t go quietly. I`d expect Kasparov, if he loses, to make some
sort of trouble somewhere. For all his talk about "unifying" the World
Champion title, I think due to his behaviour, when it comes down to it he`ll
be the first to trash the winner if it isn`t him. Though I think he was on
the "right side" when claiming Short, Anand, and Kramnik as valid
challengers (though the whole Shirov thing disturbs me greatly), I do NOT
think that his motives were anything less than selfishness, self-promotion,
and EGO.

Yes, Kasparov`s EGO deserves all three letters capitalised.

- Joshua B. Lilly

Old July 21st 03, 11:58 PM
Briarroot

John Swartz wrote:

Briarroot wrote:

Gunny Bunny wrote:

Kasparov vs Ponomariov match from Sept. 19

The winner will be FIDE World champion and would play the winner of the
match between World classical champion Vladimir Kramnik and Peter Leko. The
winner of the re-unified champion will be the absolute world champion and
that was originally scheduled for November 2003 but it is running behind
schedule.

Here's hoping this results in a Kramnik-Kasparov rematch, and
we can end all this nonsense of having 'two' world champions.

Would be nice. Wonder what happens if both Ponomariov and Leko win, and
then the reunification match doesn't happen - will we have FOUR world
champions? ;-)

Arghh! Stop that! whimpers

;-)
Old July 22nd 03, 12:47 AM
joe mccarron

generally I agree with what you say but I woudl point out a few
things.

"Joshua B. Lilly" wrote in message news:[email protected]
I do think Kasparov is still the best, but not nearly so dominant as before.

Personnally I think, he was neck and neck with Karpov for so long I
don't think he should be considered "so dominant" among his peers.
Certainly between 1992-1995 he was far above the rest. Probably his
crushing win against Anand and to a lesser extent agaisnt Short gave
him the largest peak agaisnt others. However, I think Karpov was
doing well in match play at the time too.(he did lose his semifinal to
short) Both Karpov and kasparov certainly knew how to play in matches
after their grueling battles against eachother.

In today`s chess world, he`s an old man, it`s not like it was back in the
1930s when Lasker could hang with the younger world contenders.
Humans are
performing in chess closer to the edge of possible strength than ever
before, and every ounce of calculating power factors into how great you can
be.

Sounds like allot of speculation.

At 40, according to what I`ve read, the human mind is already on a
decline for accurate calculation.

There`s a good chance that Leko actually WILL win against Kramnik,
especially if the Champion doesn`t take him seriously. Leko is thumping out
top-quality games these days and disdaining him will spell the end of
Kramnik`s reign.

Could be. I think that Leko Kramnik will be harder fought than pono
and Kaspy. Pono doesn't quite have it yet.

I`m kind of worried what will happen if Kasparov loses, either to Ponomariov
or Kramnik. Even if Kramnik beats him, most still won`t think he is BETTER
than Kasparov (and he never will be better than Kasparov, it`s too late for
him to do that, we have to look at a younger player to match or someday
surpass Kasparov`s greatness

Kramnik is plenty young enough. If he beats kasparov again I will be
persuaded that he is better at match play than Kasparov. Although I
think the older matches with more games are better to determine things
than what they will probably pick.

.... it`s only a matter of time, someone better
always comes along as the world population grows, health improves, training
methods from earlier ages, &c... humans evolve).

Speculation on many levels. I think two obvious assumptions are that
more peopel will be playing chess in the future and more will have
training. Given the fall of the soviet Union and the the fact that
computers steal thunder form the greats I'm not sure this is accurate.
I won't even touch your suggestion that eveolution will somehow
produce better chessplayers??!

But still, he`ll retain
his World Champion title,

??retain it? He lost it already.

Kasparov will lose his last chance and won`t be
happy about it. I can`t realistically envision Kasparov being able to win a
24 game match against Kramnik or Leko when he turns 43 or 44, just don`t see
it happening.

I could see it happening. It is certainly possible. Chances are he
will still be the highest rated player in 3 years.

But he won`t go quietly. I`d expect Kasparov, if he loses, to make some
sort of trouble somewhere. For all his talk about "unifying" the World
Champion title, I think due to his behaviour, when it comes down to it he`ll
be the first to trash the winner if it isn`t him.

I think you were already proved wrong by his reaction when he lost to
Kramnik. Althoguh he has a passion for chess and will sometimes lash
out I think he has great respect for the title. He certainly
acknowledges that that Kramnik is the champion.

Though I think he was on
the "right side" when claiming Short, Anand, and Kramnik as valid
challengers (though the whole Shirov thing disturbs me greatly), I do NOT
think that his motives were anything less than selfishness, self-promotion,
and EGO.

Why does anyone want to be World champion at anything? Is it to
demonstrate their humility?

Yes, Kasparov`s EGO deserves all three letters capitalised.

- Joshua B. Lilly

"John Swartz" wrote in message

Would be nice. Wonder what happens if both Ponomariov and Leko win, and
then the reunification match doesn't happen - will we have FOUR world
champions? ;-)

Oh man don't even think it.

John

Old July 22nd 03, 12:49 AM

"Briarroot" wrote in message

Here's hoping this results in a Kramnik-Kasparov rematch, and
we can end all this nonsense of having 'two' world champions.

In spirit I agree whole heartedly. However FIDE still exists as a
sponsering authority for the Title World Champion. Since Einstein is
no more, under what authority or governing body recognizes Kramnik as
world champion?