Chess Life election statements

Old July 21st 03, 07:51 PM
ASCACHESS

Default Chess Life election statements

Sam Sloan has completely misstated what happened with regards to the
material for the candidate statements and election supplements.

Sam Sloan misstated what happened???
NO WAY!

When those Nigerian millions come in you are going to have to eat those words.

Rp
Old July 22nd 03, 12:46 AM
Mike Nolan

(Sam Sloan) writes:

Why don't you tell us what the deadlines were and where they were
posted? Were they posted on the USCF website? If so where?

If the candidates were informed of the deadlines, please tell us when,
where and how we were informed?

Here's the text of the letter that was sent by Frank Niro to all
candidates in mid-Janary. (This is from the draft copy that the Election
Procedures Committee reviewed on January 16th, there may have been some
minor revisions to the final version. I think the letter went out on
January 17th, though it might not have gone out until the following Monday.

There were several followups by Barb Vandemark reminding the candidates
of the deadlines, and I think Sam was even sent a 2nd copy of the
letter which follows.

For the benefit of the reading-impaired, I have added arrows to key
details and deadlines:

-----------------------
(on USCF letterhead)

Executive Board Secretary Bob Smith has informed me that you are
officially a candidate for the U.S. Chess Federation Executive
Board in this year's election.

This letter is simply to make clear how the office relates to the
whole election process.

The staff and I are pledged to political neutrality. Regardless
of how we might feel about any candidate, we will do our best
to offer each and every candidate equal and courteous service.

According to USCF Bylaws Article VI, Section 11, each duly
-- nominated candidate is entitled to a 150 word statement plus a
-- photo in the issue of Chess Life published no later than April
10 (May issue), plus reasonable and equitable space on the USCF
-- website. The deadline to submit your statement and photo for Chess
-- Life is February 10. In addition to the statement you will
-- also be entitled to one-half page of space (500 words) in each
of two election supplements. These supplements will be published
-- no later than May 10 (June issue) and June 10 (July issue which
will also will contain the ballot) and the deadline for submitting
-- your material for these supplements is March 10 and April 10
respectively.

***** As a candidate you may purchase at affiliate rates, labels of
names and addresses of Voting Members for campaign mailings.
This information may only be used for campaign purposes and we
ask that you please sign and return the enclosed declaration
and return it to my assistant Barb Vandermark when and if you
order labels. A $20 setup plus five cents per label fee is
charged. The list is also available on disk or by e-mail at
the same charge.

-- Finally, in accordance with Delegate Motion 01-72 passed in
2001 it is necessary for the USCF to ask you to respond to
the following statement. "Executive Board candidates are
asked to disclose if they are employed full time or are
a candidate for full-time employment with any organization
that is a vendor for the USCF, a competitor to the USCF in
any area, or has any significant other business interest
(including substantial ownership of a business) that could
be affected by decisions made by USCF. Failure to disclose
these interests would not disqualify a candidate from
running, but could effect the voter's evaluation of
the candidate.

Please feel free to contact Barb or me with any questions
or concerns you may have.

Good luck with your campaign.

Sincerely,

Frank A. Niro
Executive Director

-------------------------

I do not know if any of the candidates responded to the request
for a voluntary disclosure of financial interests (DM 01-72).

None of the candidates initally responded to the section dealing with
space on the website. When Tim Hanke did indicate some interest, Gary
Prince drew up some guidelines and sent them out to all six candidates,
but I don't know if any of them sent in any material for the website,
and I don't think the candidate pages were ever created. That's
an area that could stand some rethinking and reworking for 2005.

The paragraph about purchasing labels I marked differently, because it
needs some further explanation:

On May 22nd, Frank Niro asked me to contact all six candidates and offer
them a computer file with the the names and addresses of the roughly 40,000
voting members.

(Frank was on the road at the time and I had been working with Gary Prince
to come up with an accurate and non-duplicated list of voting members to
send to the printers.)

I sent an e-mail to all six candidates outlining the offer and the
conditions under which we would send them a copy of the file.

I heard back from five of the six candidates via e-mail, I'm not sure
if the 6th candidate received my e-mail but it did not bounce.

Two candidates initially expressed an interest in receiving a copy of
the file, but neither of them sent to the office the signed agreement
as to the limits on its use and retention so they did not actually
receive a copy of the file. Neither of them ever contacted about not
having received the file so I assume they just changed their minds.
--
Mike Nolan
Co-Chair, USCF Election Procedures Committee
Old July 22nd 03, 02:13 AM

On 21 Jul 2003 23:46:26 GMT, (Mike Nolan) wrote:

(Sam Sloan) writes:

[...]

I do not recall this. I do recall that I sent you an e-mail saying
that would like to receive the file. I do not believe that you ever
responded.

Please understand that I now receive 1600 e-mails per day. I do not
have time to read all of them. It is entirely possible that you sent
me something which I missed.

Old July 22nd 03, 02:58 AM
Mike Nolan

Sam writes:

I do not recall this. I do recall that I sent you an e-mail saying
that would like to receive the file. I do not believe that you ever
responded.

Here is a copy of my response to Sam's request:

Subject: Message to all Executive Board Candidates
To: (Sam Sloan)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:09:47 -0500 (CDT)

I would like to receive a copy of the file.

Sam Sloan

I'll send it out as soon as I have confirmation from the USCF office
that they have received a signed copy of the acknowledgement of
intellectual property and data usage agreement. (The form was at the bottom
of the message to all candidates.)
--
Mike Nolan

Please understand that I now receive 1600 e-mails per day. I do not
have time to read all of them. It is entirely possible that you sent
me something which I missed.

Both the original e-mail, which you obviously DID get, and the note
copied above indicated that there was a form that had to be signed and
sent or faxed to the office before the file would be sent. This was
to protect the USCF's intellectual property interest in its membership
list.

The original note to all six candidates included the following paragraphs:

Before receiving a copy of the list, candidates must acknowlege that this
list is the intellectual property of the United States Chess Federation.

This acknowledgement and agreement must be made in writing and mailed or
faxed to the USCF offices, 3054 US Route 9W, New Windsor, NY 12553.
The USCF's fax number is: 845-561-2437. For your convenience,
at the end of this message is a form you may print out, complete, sign,
and return to the USCF office.

Upon confirmation that the USCF office has received your acknowledgement
and signed agreement, I will e-mail you a zipped copy of the voter list,
which is in comma delimited form with each fields in quotes, a format
that is readily understandable by many computer programs.
--
Mike Nolan

Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:09:47 -0500 (CDT)

[...]

No need to prove your point to us, Mike. We believe you.

Sloan is a liar -- that's what he does.

Regards,

Matt

Old July 22nd 03, 07:09 AM
Mike Nolan

"Matt Nemmers" writes:

No need to prove your point to us, Mike. We believe you.

Perhaps not, but I think it is important to place the facts in evidence
so that more than just Sam's posts show up in an archive search.
--
Mike Nolan
Old July 22nd 03, 09:46 PM
StanB

"Matt Nemmers" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Sloan is a liar -- that's what he does.

He does other things too, but lying is what he does best.

StanB