I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Old July 22nd 03, 02:02 AM
Scott

Default I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Tim hails from the very best location on earth (MA,US) and he runs a
top-notch chess club (second only to the metrowest club) - he is
Harvard educated (you may have heard of it) - and he has relevant job
experience with various organizations (i.e. Scleroderma and MACA) -
and more importantly - as a frequent newsgroup poster and prolific
chess journalist - Tim will keep us informed.

Sam hails from the second best location on earth (NY, US) and would be
a strong voice against the move to TN - and while the chess world no
longer has Bobby Fischer - at least we have someone nearly as
flamboyant - Sam Sloan. Although Sam may be a bit eccentric - I am
convinced that he truly has a passion for chess and that his
experience with finance and litigation would help greatly with the
various troubles of the USCF.

Lastly, a personal note in regards to the survival of the USCF:

I feel the key is keeping scholastic members on as adult members (for
life) - this can be accomplished by promoting chess in the schools -
chess should be given equal importance as English, Math, Science, etc.
Wouldn't it be great if chess puzzles were on the SAT? What is so
important about chess? Chess is the universe encapsulated - it is
representative of the evolution of consciousness and the human
condition and helps to promotes logical thinking and scientific
understanding. In my opinion the USCF survival IS the survival of
chess - one may argue that there are other organizations such as FIDE
and internet chess that help to popularize and promote chess - but
these are fractured groups and not a unifying stable force that will
continue the legacy of chess for future generations. The USCF is the
United States Chess Federation and as such has very strong name
recognition - representing the culture and values of the strongest and
richest nation in the world. What will the future hold for chess and
humanity? My predictions: The Middle-East will become a large
expanse of green glass - Europe will continue to be split by culture
and language - but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world. It should be noted that
while chess originated elsewhere in the world - like many other things
- the United States has the unique ability to diffuse this knowledge
and promote learning, understanding, democracy, and peace - we are the
apex of the evolution of social and political organizations and as
such - if chess is to have a future - the United States represented by
the Unites States Chess Federation will have the essential role of
preserving and promoting the greatest creation of humanity - Chess.

Old July 22nd 03, 04:51 AM
drahmiel

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

That's like rooting for the Mets AND the Yankees!
Old July 22nd 03, 07:11 AM
Briarroot

Scott wrote:

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Don't feel too bad. I voted for Hanke and Schultz! ;-)

Tim hails from the very best location on earth (MA,US) and he runs a
top-notch chess club (second only to the metrowest club) - he is
Harvard educated (you may have heard of it) - and he has relevant job
experience with various organizations (i.e. Scleroderma and MACA) -
and more importantly - as a frequent newsgroup poster and prolific
chess journalist - Tim will keep us informed.

What's all that got to do with the price of french fries?

Sam hails from the second best location on earth (NY, US) and would be
a strong voice against the move to TN - and while the chess world no
longer has Bobby Fischer - at least we have someone nearly as
flamboyant - Sam Sloan. Although Sam may be a bit eccentric - I am
convinced that he truly has a passion for chess and that his
experience with finance and litigation would help greatly with the
various troubles of the USCF.

PT Barnum.

Lastly, a personal note in regards to the survival of the USCF:

I feel the key is keeping scholastic members on as adult members (for
life) - this can be accomplished by promoting chess in the schools -
chess should be given equal importance as English, Math, Science, etc.
Wouldn't it be great if chess puzzles were on the SAT? What is so
important about chess? Chess is the universe encapsulated - it is
representative of the evolution of consciousness and the human
condition and helps to promotes logical thinking and scientific
understanding.

Heheh. This is a crock, but I like your attitude!

In my opinion the USCF survival IS the survival of
chess - one may argue that there are other organizations such as FIDE
and internet chess that help to popularize and promote chess - but
these are fractured groups and not a unifying stable force that will
continue the legacy of chess for future generations. The USCF is the
United States Chess Federation and as such has very strong name
recognition - representing the culture and values of the strongest and
richest nation in the world.

Guess what? Lots of people play chess in the USA and have never
heard of the USCF, and will go right on playing without ever
noticing if the USCF stands or falls.

What will the future hold for chess and
humanity? My predictions: The Middle-East will become a large
expanse of green glass - Europe will continue to be split by culture
and language - but the United States will prosper - spreading our
culture and values throughout the world.

Wait! What's that theme song I hear playing in the background?

? It should be noted that
while chess originated elsewhere in the world - like many other things
- the United States has the unique ability to diffuse this knowledge
and promote learning, understanding, democracy, and peace - we are the
apex of the evolution of social and political organizations and as
such

Horse hockey! My cat is the apex of social and political evolution.
He reminds me of that fact every day.

- if chess is to have a future - the United States represented by
the Unites States Chess Federation will have the essential role of
preserving and promoting the greatest creation of humanity - Chess.

Whew! What a load. You must feel 10 pounds lighter!

I'll give you a 6.5 on the Rolf scale. Not a bad score! ;-)
Old July 22nd 03, 08:31 AM
Joshua Houk

(Scott) wrote in
m:

I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Remind me to stay as far away from you as possible.

Joshua Houk
jlhouk#comcast.net
Old July 22nd 03, 01:24 PM
Spam Scone

(Scott) wrote in message om...
I voted for Sam Sloan AND Tim Hanke.

Have you sought treatment for these bipolar tendancies?