ChessBanter

ChessBanter (http://www.chessbanter.com/forum.php)
-   rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) (http://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-politics-chess/)
-   -   Peter Leko back from the dead to play Chess960! (http://www.chessbanter.com/rec-games-chess-politics-chess/3642-peter-leko-back-dead-play.html)

Scott July 24th 03 12:41 AM

Peter Leko back from the dead to play Chess960!

Peter Leko back from the dead to play Chess960!

"On August 14 the Chess960 shuffle chess section of the Chess Classic
begins. It is called "Chess960" because before each game one of the
960 possible starting positions is drawn by lots. Last year saw 131
participants, with Peter Svidler scoring 9:2 points to take first
place. This year he will play a shuffle chess match against Peter
Leko, who is also very experienced in this form of chess. In 2001 he
defeated Michael Adams 4.5:2.5 in a Chess960 match in Mainz.
Hans-Walter Schmitt will use the occasion to found a World Chess960
Federation in Mainz.

Shuffle chess, aka random or Fischerandom, shuffles all the pieces
randomly before each game with the pawns in their usual places. In
1996 Bobby Fischer revitalized interest in this old variant when he
appeared in Buenos Aires to promote his version of it, and to say it
should replace normal chess."

ChessPromo July 25th 03 06:45 AM

(Scott) wrote in message om...
[...]

Make your bets for this match on
http://ChessBets.narod.ru

Don Mihokovich July 25th 03 09:20 AM

(Scott) wrote in message om...
[...]

Wouldn't at least some of the 960 possible positions give an
unbalanced advantage to White?

don

Mr. Hat July 26th 03 08:02 AM

Peter Leko back from the dead to play Chess960!

In article ,
eepmeep (John Fernandez) wrote:

Wouldn't at least some of the 960 possible positions give an
unbalanced advantage to White?

don

Hard to imagine. Can you construct such a position?

John Fernandez

So, out of curiousity, how many people here actually engage in Chess960
from time to time? Sadly I never hear much about it, though it makes for a
compelling match that in many aspects is more intellectually challenging
than "traditional" games.

Mr. Hat July 27th 03 07:34 AM

Peter Leko back from the dead to play Chess960!

In article ,
eepmeep (John Fernandez) wrote:

So, out of curiousity, how many people here actually engage in Chess960
from time to time? Sadly I never hear much about it, though it makes for a
compelling match that in many aspects is more intellectually challenging
than "traditional" games.

I've been playing shuffle chess variants since the late 90's, and I've though
that they were very boring.

John Fernandez

What a pity.

John Fernandez July 27th 03 08:20 AM

Peter Leko back from the dead to play Chess960!

Subject: Peter Leko back from the dead to play Chess960!
From: (Mr. Hat)
Date: 7/27/2003 2:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time
In article ,
(John Fernandez) wrote:

So, out of curiousity, how many people here actually engage in Chess960
from time to time? Sadly I never hear much about it, though it makes for a
compelling match that in many aspects is more intellectually challenging
than "traditional" games.

I've been playing shuffle chess variants since the late 90's, and I've

though
that they were very boring.

John Fernandez

What a pity.

I don't see why it's any better than regular chess. It's not very interesting
at all.

John Fernandez

Mr. Hat July 29th 03 06:42 AM

Peter Leko back from the dead to play Chess960!

From:
(Mr. Hat)
Date: 7/27/2003 2:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time
In article ,
(John Fernandez) wrote:

So, out of curiousity, how many people here actually engage in Chess960
from time to time? Sadly I never hear much about it, though it makes for a
compelling match that in many aspects is more intellectually challenging
than "traditional" games.

I've been playing shuffle chess variants since the late 90's, and I've

though
that they were very boring.

John Fernandez

What a pity.

I don't see why it's any better than regular chess. It's not very interesting
at all.

John Fernandez

All I said was that it's a pity. I feel badly for you.

M.H.