Advice for Hanke

Old July 25th 03, 09:16 AM
Parrthenon

Default Advice for Hanke

OMINOUS SILENCE FROM HANKE

By Larry Parr

Supporters of Tim Hanke are beginning to become dismayed. The
victorious Executive Board candidate has yet to call for public beheadings on
the rostrum of the upcoming Delegates Meeting.

The revolutionist, as G. K. Chesterton once noted, always knows where
to draw the line. Which is to say, between body and head. Has the heavy, dull
hand of responsibility already begun to stifle Mr. Hanke's exuberant penchant
for Pandemonium?

Will Mr. Hanke keep his oft-repeated campaign promise to arrive at
the Delegates meeting in a horse-drawn tumbril, dressed as an old crone like
Leslie Howard in The Scarlet Pimpernel? Did Mr. Hanke not promise to
administer several close shaves with Madame Guillotine? (Granted, the Scarlet
Pimpernel was saving the aristos from the guillotine, but we forsake literary
fidelity for Caissic helter-skelter.)

We had looked forward to a guillotine next to the microphone on the
podium with, perhaps, Sam Sloan manning the mike, announcing the execution of
the ci-devant Comte Camaratta or the ci-devant Duchess ... er ... Duke Winston.

Seated before the podium in a semicircle would be many of the grand
dames of the Federation. We had imagined the two Helens -- of Warren and
Hinshaw -- bedecked in tricolors and knitting furiously as each time the blade
fell.

Though we hopelessly muddle the story by transmogrifying Mr. Hanke
from the Scarlet Pimpernel into Citoyen Robespierre, we must.

We had hoped for Mr. Hanke to usher in a Reign of Federation Virtue
-- putting an end to that time when, as Marat expressed the matter, the
revolutionaries were tending their gardens.

The title of the cover story in Chess Life might have been A Tale of
Two Meetings.

Old July 26th 03, 01:46 PM
StanB

"StanB" wrote in message

That was amusing. Here's a quarter. $0.25

I've been told many times that my humor is deep in and goes way over many
peoples head. That's when I get to laugh.

StanB