What now with ratings?

Old July 26th 03, 02:48 PM
John Fernandez

Default What now with ratings?

From the Ratings page:

We are currently having technical difficulties with our ratings system. The
last rate was the August supplement (done in early July). The ratings system
will be running again shortly. We appreciate your patience and understanding in
this matter.

So nothing's been rated for about 3 weeks? Sigh.

John Fernandez
Old July 26th 03, 09:44 PM
StanB

"John Fernandez" wrote in message

We are currently having technical difficulties with our ratings system.

The
last rate was the August supplement (done in early July). The ratings

system
will be running again shortly. We appreciate your patience and

understanding in
this matter.

So nothing's been rated for about 3 weeks? Sigh.

You think it's bad now, wait till Timmy's staff reductions kick in.

StanB

Old July 27th 03, 05:23 AM
Mike Nolan

"StanB" writes:

So nothing's been rated for about 3 weeks? Sigh.

You think it's bad now, wait till Timmy's staff reductions kick in.

I don't think the current problem with the ratings system is a staff
issue, unless you want to consider the changeover in the MIS department.

It may be related to the power problem that took out the voice mail
system on July 3rd, since the last scheduled rate run was on July 1st.

Because of the holiday, there wasn't a rate run scheduled during the week
of July 7-11, so the problem wasn't detected until the rate failed on
the 15th, the week the phone system was being replaced.

However, it does seem that it never rains but it pours. A PC in
accounting crashed this week, too.
--
Mike Nolan
Old July 27th 03, 05:53 AM
StanB

"Mike Nolan" wrote in message

However, it does seem that it never rains but it pours. A PC in
accounting crashed this week, too.

Sacrilege.

StanB

Old July 27th 03, 03:03 PM
Doctor SBD

However, it does seem that it never rains but it pours. A PC in
accounting crashed this week, too.
--
Mike Nolan

Yes, I hear the little pterodactyl that pecks out the numbers on the stone
tablets used by USCF accounting finally died.

SBD

Old July 28th 03, 05:03 PM
Kevin Croxen

In article , Paul Rubin wrote:
(TR) writes:
However, it does seem that it never rains but it pours. A PC in
accounting crashed this week, too.

PCs do that from time to time. In SOHO and other small operations
without professional IT staff (or without good systems installed and
monitored by consultants), people lose days of work when it happens.

In a larger organization with a dedicated IT staff, I'd like to think
that recovery from the failure of a desk top unit is a straightforward
matter of implementing an up to date plan Presumably, the plan
includes data backups at the appropriate intervals and a cache of
reserve hardware.

The City of Munich is going to run something like 8000 PC's with Linux
on them, and VMware (PC emulator) under Linux, and Windows under the
VMware so they can run their legacy Windows apps. Whenever Windows
crashes they can then restore it very easily by just restarting the
VMware image from a checkpoint.

But this is the USCF. Who would set up and maintain the Linux systems?