Tim Hanke's Expense Account

Old July 26th 03, 10:40 PM

Default Tim Hanke's Expense Account

When running for USCF Executive Board, Tim Hanke repeatedly cited as
his qualification for the board the fact that he was hired to run the
Press Room at the 1999 FIDE World Championship in Las Vegas. There, he
got to meet most of the world's leading grandmasters, he pointed out.

What Hanke did not mention is that is just about his only expreience
with big time chess, and he lucked into that assignment by being hired
by Cavallo, since both of them live in Boston.

Most of the other candidates, including myself, have attended major
events including Olympiads at our own expense.

Hanke was elected. The issue now is his demand to be paid expenses
including air fare hotel and meals for a week in Los Angeles. The
question is: How much will this cost the USCF?

To give you an idea, here is what Hanke posted about his 1999 stay in
Las Vegas:

From: Timothy Hanke )
Subject: Who is Running for the EB?
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.politics
Date: 2001-01-11 20:50:04 PST

FIDE paid my travel and per diem, another handsome sum.

My five weeks living in Caesars Palace and working at the 1999 FIDE
World Championship were like a glorious vacation. I feasted on plates
of shrimp every day and on lobster every Saturday night. I suntanned
by the side of the Caesars pool, while girls in white togas brought me
cool drinks.
Old July 26th 03, 10:47 PM
ASCACHESS

From: Timothy Hanke )
Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.politics
Date: 2001-01-11 20:50:04 PST

FIDE paid my travel and per diem, another handsome sum.

My five weeks living in Caesars Palace and working at the 1999 FIDE
World Championship were like a glorious vacation. I feasted on plates
of shrimp every day and on lobster every Saturday night. I suntanned
by the side of the Caesars pool, while girls in white togas brought me
cool drinks.

HEY SAM, WAKE UP.
The election is OVER. You LOST.

As far as Hanke's "vacation", this is a traditional method of how Red
Management tries to win friends.

In Hanke's case, it looks like he came to his senses.

Rp
Old July 27th 03, 06:24 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

SNIP

Sloan's bitter jealousy over Hanke's election to the EB is now boardering on
the ridiculous. His desperate attempt to discredit Tim in the wake of this
month's election has him grasping at straws, apparently trying to convince
HIMSELF that just because he has no life other than to travel all over the
world with his kneepads on borrowed money sucking on every GM that will give
him the time of day, he'd make a better board member than Hanke. (Of
course, Sloan will probably reword that last to read, "Sloan.....,.....he'd
make a better board member than Hanke." His brand of journalistic
integrity.)

I wonder, will this guy ever get a clue?

Regards,

Matt

Old July 27th 03, 07:30 AM
PBusw13724

Matt Nemmers wrote of Sam Sloan:

I wonder, will this guy ever get a clue?

Mr Nemmers: I suspect not. From observation on this group I conclude that Mr
Sloan's psychology is so far from the norm that he will simply not respond to
normal expectations.

Paul Buswell