USCF e-mail lists for organizers?!

Old July 27th 03, 04:08 AM
Dan Heisman

Default USCF e-mail lists for organizers?!

I was reading about the (unfortunately normal) TLA problems and it occurred to me - rather than
time-consuming USCF member labels, of which affiliates only get one inexpensive set per year, why doesn't
the USCF create e-mail lists of its members? After all, the membership forms request e-mail addresses. We
could even update the forms to say:

"Please enter an e-mail address. This will allow organizers to pro-actively contact you about local chess
events. These e-mail addresses will NOT be sold to third parties. If you do not wish to be contacted about
local chess events, check the block below. "

Then, instead of requesting mailing labels, the organizer could contact USCF and ask for the list of all
e-mail addresses which fit a certain category, very similar to mailing labels (preferably in a generally
easy to input standard address book file format). This is much easier, efficient, and a more modern way of
doing things. Of course the mailing lable program could continue, too.

I realize this is hardly the time to implement a new function, but given the recent problems with TLAs,
ratings, etc. having such a capability would be very helpful. I advertise all my local events via e-mail
lists and put a request for e-mail addresses on each event's registration form.

As one aspect to being successful, the USCF needs to help organizers:

1. Globally publicize events
2. Make it easy to directly contact members about events and, conversely, easy for members to let themselves
be known they are interested
3. Make those events as pleasant as possible, with easy and quick processing of memberships and ratings, and
4. Make it easy for organizers to repeat the process

Since rated (and non-rated) events/clubs are the lifeblood of chess (OTB or otherwise), it makes sense to
try to reach as many members and non-members as possible to publicize these. A chess federation where the
members cannot easily find places to play does not make much sense [although I am sure on rcgp several will
step forward to tell me how foolish my statement is. ]

- Dan Heisman
www.danheisman.com
Old July 27th 03, 08:12 AM
ASCACHESS

I have created my own e-mail list and send out a calendar for
Washington/Oregon
and some BC Canada events. Also sent TAs about once a week. I have gotten the
list by asking people if they want to be on such a list.
The non updating of TLAs on USCF website is a big problem that I hope is
corrected soon.

Russell Miller, Chelan WA

If USCF were smart, they would hire Russell to do this for them.

He is the very best and I am on many such lists.

Rp

Old July 28th 03, 04:49 PM
Warren Porter

Dan Heisman wrote:

I was reading about the (unfortunately normal) TLA problems and it occurred to me - rather than
time-consuming USCF member labels, of which affiliates only get one inexpensive set per year, why doesn't
the USCF create e-mail lists of its members? After all, the membership forms request e-mail addresses. We
could even update the forms to say:

"Please enter an e-mail address. This will allow organizers to pro-actively contact you about local chess
events. These e-mail addresses will NOT be sold to third parties. If you do not wish to be contacted about
local chess events, check the block below. "

It looks good, but what happens if the member changes his mind and an organizer doesn't request a new email list next year? Someone who gets burned out on tournament chess might log onto the USCF site and modify his profile to uncheck that box, but organizers who requested that information last month wouldn't know his email address souldn't be used.

While you might state, "These e-mail addresses will NOT be sold to third parties," what guarantee do you have once these address have been given/sold to a local organizer?

OTOH, if the USCF were to offer to email tournament announcements to members for a reasonable fee using the same criteria used for requesting labels, that idea might work. They could keep the list confidential and boiler plate info could tell members how to unsubscribe. The Miss. Chess Assn. and Miss. Scholastic Chess Organization have been doing this for several years.
--
Warren Porter (remove digits to reply)

Old July 30th 03, 06:00 PM
Dan Heisman

Matt,

Thanks. Yes, PSCF (PA) does. But when I run a tournament in Philadelphia, not only PA, but NJ, Delaware, and
Maryland are nearby and NY and DC are not so far away, so it would be nice to have a centralized source.

Dan H
Old December 3rd 03, 11:39 AM
A1

Default USCF e-mail lists for organizers?! HEISMANN (hypocrite? with double standards)

Gee Mr Heismann: Why is it you want something (as an organizer sic) you and
your organization (PSCA) does not make available to people in your own state
(you sure seem like you have a double standard) .... PS neither do you
people answer emails or have any courtesy....

Old December 3rd 03, 08:50 PM
Dan Heisman

Andrew,

Matt,

Thanks. Yes, PSCF (PA) does. But when I run a tournament in Philadelphia,

not only PA, but NJ, Delaware, and
Maryland are nearby and NY and DC are not so far away, so it would be nice

to have a centralized source.

Gee Mr Heismann: Why is it you want something (as an organizer sic) you and
your organization (PSCA) does not make available to people in your own state
(you sure seem like you have a double standard) .... PS neither do you
people answer emails or have any courtesy....

First, I am the SE PA Scholastic Coordinator for the PA State Chess Federation. I do not know of a PSCA. The
PSCF is certainly not "my" organization.

What is it that the PSCF does not make available? I advertise all my events at my website and the bigger
ones as a TLA in Chess Life.

As for e-mails, any e-mails I receive at I courteously and promptly answer, if at all
possible. That has always been my policy (But I cannot see all the responses to all my newsgroup posts, so I
ask anyone wishing for a direct answer to e-mail me instead of - or in addition to - posting). I do not
remember receiving any e-mails from you, but if I did and did not respond (I would not know why), I
apologize. What more do you wish?

If you have a problem with the PSCF, I suggest you contact Tom Martinak. His e-mail is
and he, like myself, is very good and prompt about answering e-mails. Our website
is
www.pscfchess.org

The post to which you refer was a while ago, so I don't even remember the exact subject...I think I was just
suggesting a centralized source of information to a wider audience. Nothing wrong with suggesting? I
certainly think that organizers should work together more closely to help promote each others' events, which
is why I have a free service posting local events on my website. Why does this make my a hypocrite?

BTW, my name is spelled "Heisman" You are welcome to call my show on www.chess.FM any Monday evening at 7-9
PM Eastern and chat about this.

Regards,
Dan Heisman
Old December 5th 03, 03:55 AM
Spam Scone

[...]

Dan, this guy is nuts. Just accept it and move on. No need to waste
time on such a fruitcake as AndrewZero.