The Hundred Years (flame-)War

Old July 30th 03, 05:28 AM
NoMoreChess

Default The Hundred Years (flame-)War

..
There seems to be utter confusion on the part of several posters here as to
the real identities of their perceived opposition.

There also is an obvious lack of comprehension on the part of one poster, who
can't quite figure out the difference between a "troll," and a person who
criticizes him or his pal. These are two entirely different things, of course,
but a certain level of intelligence is required to distinguish between them.
Enough said.

Now, that major brain (a Mensan with a Doctorate, no less)

In my opinion, self-described Dr. Mensan or, as put above, "major brain"
Mihokovich, has utterly missed the mark here. He said he was "tired of reading
anti-American screeds" by Nick Bourbaki, who ought to "know better." But even
an ignoran Brit can see that Nick has done no such thing. Off-topic, yes. But
anti-American -- hardly.

Witness the following drivel emanating from Dr. Mensan's own paranoia or
insecurity:

The world is a hard place and citizens of every nation do regrettable
things. The U.S., in my opinion, does more than most countries to set things
right.

Ha! One *may* be able to "set things right" when it comes to money or
property, but is Dr. Mensan so dimwitted as to be able to convince himself that
such atrocities as have been described here (and not only by Nick) can ever be
"set right" by our government, in view of the fact that many of the victims are
quite dead? In my view, death is a barrier that even the super-powered Uncle
Sam cannot leap over, despite having the proper, red, white, and blue spandex
uniform.

The best way to approach "putting things right" would therefore be to strive
to the UTMOST to *never* make such errors again, and this is attempted by first
recognising these errors, and not by going into denial.
Denial, as I see it, is the first step toward NOT putting things right.

Therefore, as an American, I resent my country being unjustifiably
slammed on the chess newsgroups.

Yet this perception of "being slammed" results from the inability to accept
the truth about our history.
Personally, after reading some (certainly not all) of Nick's off-topic
screeds, I did not feel "slammed" or insulted at all. Of course, I am a
realist, while Dr. Mensan may well be living in La-la land. He may actually
believe the many lies he was taught in elementary school about our history.

To this ignorant Brit it seems significant that you have not protested that
you are in any way different from Jason Repa.

I would like to take this opportunity to, for a change of pace,
wholeheartedly AGREE with Dorkus Holes-by, that he is indeed an *ignorant*
Brit. Spot-on, old chap! Right on the money! Good show. Jolly, jolly
good!
But this charge of one unwelcome critic necessarily being Jason Repa is
probably just a shot-in-the-dark.

Now, I responded, as thoughtfully as my small intellect would allow

No one can ask for more than that. I commend you for your effort.

To me (an ignorant Brit) it appears only that what he is doing is redressing
a seriously distorted and right-wing imbalance in the posts of StanB,
Briarroot and you

Once again, I agree with this poster who, in addition to being utterly
incapable of distinguishing a troll from a critic, cannot seem to recognise
just how silly (and hyppocritical) he looks while completely ignoring his pal's
off-topic problem, while laying into certain others for posting off-topic. His
justification? Somebody else crossposted something, so "therefore" Nick's many
off-topic screeds don't count! Well, he warned us that he wasn't very bright.

Old July 30th 03, 06:20 AM
Dr. Robert Faurisson

"NoMoreChess" wrote in message
.
[...]

.....and that warning is about the only accurate thing out of Houlsby's
keyboard! You see, according to Houlsby's self-styled logic; anyone that
disagrees with him is a troll, and anyone that agrees with him (thank God
there aren't too many or society would be in alot of trouble) is a good
bloke!

Old July 30th 03, 08:33 AM
Briarroot

NoMoreChess wrote:

In my opinion, self-described Dr. Mensan or, as put above, "major brain"
Mihokovich, has utterly missed the mark here. He said he was "tired of reading
anti-American screeds" by Nick Bourbaki, who ought to "know better." But even
an ignoran Brit can see that Nick has done no such thing. Off-topic, yes. But
anti-American -- hardly.

I would agree that truth, however painful should be made plain
for all to see, but the continuing one-sided effort of Nick
to expose thos crimes he has apparently dedicated his life to
bringing to the chess newsgroups, speaks of another agenda.

Should he post the entire history of atrocities committed by
the human race? Maybe. It would certainly make for a morbidly
fascinating read, though undoubtedly misplaced here. However,
he focuses his efforts on revealing what he thinks are America's
faults, foibles and lately, war crimes. Nick *claims* that he is
doing this to counter what he feels have been too many posts from
those he calls "right-wing, jingoistic, racist Americans," but I
think he's lying and that he has another purpose, though what that
may be, I can't say.

Witness the following drivel emanating from Dr. Mensan's own paranoia or
insecurity:

The world is a hard place and citizens of every nation do regrettable
things. The U.S., in my opinion, does more than most countries to set things
right.

Ha! One *may* be able to "set things right" when it comes to money or
property, but is Dr. Mensan so dimwitted as to be able to convince himself that
such atrocities as have been described here (and not only by Nick) can ever be
"set right" by our government, in view of the fact that many of the victims are
quite dead? In my view, death is a barrier that even the super-powered Uncle
Sam cannot leap over, despite having the proper, red, white, and blue spandex
uniform.

Sadly true.

The best way to approach "putting things right" would therefore be to strive
to the UTMOST to *never* make such errors again, and this is attempted by first
recognising these errors, and not by going into denial.
Denial, as I see it, is the first step toward NOT putting things right.

Agreed. But let's play chess. I invite Nick post his historical
surveys in the appropriate soc.* groups. Not only would he find a
much more receptive audience, but he would find far more informed
critics with which to debate his ideas. What Nick loudly trumpets
as racist atrocities may well be seen to be typical of the human
species when viewed in the proper context of the whole of history.
Here, we only get what seems to be Nick's personal smear campaign.
This is bound to set some people's teeth on edge.

Therefore, as an American, I resent my country being unjustifiably
slammed on the chess newsgroups.

Yet this perception of "being slammed" results from the inability to accept
the truth about our history.
Personally, after reading some (certainly not all) of Nick's off-topic
screeds, I did not feel "slammed" or insulted at all. Of course, I am a
realist, while Dr. Mensan may well be living in La-la land. He may actually
believe the many lies he was taught in elementary school about our history.

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that most people
from Anywhere, Planet Earth would make that same statement about
their homeland, unless they're the type who find satisfaction in
wearing sackcloth and ashes. I think what he should have said
was: do as we say, not as we do. :-/

One other point: "the truth about our history" as you put it, is
often a result of long debate, and the currently accepted version
of what is fact and what is opinion is constantly being revised.
Long held ideas are sometimes refuted and that which was once
thought to be obvious becomes obscure again. You've illustrated
that by your reference to "lies" taught in elementary school. What
is currently fashionable now, may well be thought quaint in another
couple of decades. Historians themselves quarrel over the 'facts'
and history is not nearly so cut and dried as some people seem to
think.
Old July 30th 03, 01:00 PM
Mhoulsby

From: illspam (NoMoreChess)
Date: 30/07/03 04:28 GMT Daylight Time
.
[...]

Hmmm... I seem to remember reading above the dubious caveat:

"There also is an obvious lack of comprehension on the part of one poster,
who
can't quite figure out the difference between a "troll," and a person who
criticizes him or his pal. These are two entirely different things, of
course,
but a certain level of intelligence is required to distinguish between them.
Enough said."

Now you have just claimed, above, that Dr. Mensan (sorry Don Mihokovich) said
that he was tired of reading "anti-American screeds". Wrong!!!!!

Timothy Hanke said that, he

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z20513E65

""Mhoulsby" -remove- wrote ...

Now, that major brain (a Mensan with a Doctorate, no less) Don Mihokovich has
suggested that it's high time that this particular flame war, which you
started, should end.

Whaddyasay?

Mark Houlsby

Mark,

I'm not interested in engaging you or anybody else in a "flame war." I'm
just tired of reading anti-American screeds from Nick, who seems well-enough
educated that he should know better."

Tim Hanke: 2003-07-28 18:20:48 PST

Now, let me remind you, a little ways back there, NoMo you mentioned that:

"There also is an obvious lack of comprehension on the part of one poster,
who
can't quite figure out the difference between a "troll," and a person who
criticizes him or his pal. These are two entirely different things, of
course,
but a certain level of intelligence is required to distinguish between them.
Enough said."

It seems that you must have been describing yourself?

Once again, the following was not Don Mihokovich, but Tim Hanke, in the same
post...

Witness the following drivel emanating from Dr. Mensan's own paranoia or
insecurity:

So once again:

[...]

I agree with most of this. What you conveniently fail to mention is that I
replied to Hanke's post, he

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J25512E65

"Perhaps then he would be less
tempted to insult the U.S.

To this ignorant Brit it simply does not seem that he *is* insulting the U.S..

Rather, he is exercising the right to criticise it.

The impression that I get is that if you were in a position to confute his
well-presented and well-supported arguments, then you would not be so
frustrated at the criticisms he publishes, since those criticisms might be
easier to prove false.

Perhaps you are frustrated at your own inadequacy?

Is that the real issue here?"

Mark Houlsby

2003-07-28 19:08:07 PST

What you wrote above pretty much echoes what I wrote there.

You *do* seem to be having difficulty distinguishing between trolls and
others...

Therefore, as an American, I resent my country being unjustifiably
slammed on the chess newsgroups.

Yet this perception of "being slammed" results from the inability to
accept
the truth about our history.
Personally, after reading some (certainly not all) of Nick's off-topic
screeds, I did not feel "slammed" or insulted at all. Of course, I am a
realist, while Dr. Mensan may well be living in La-la land.

No. Tim Hanke may be, if you're following the same line of logic.

I suspect that Hanke is not "living in La-La land" but that rather he is a
lying, superpatriotic, blundering, moronic troll

He may actually
believe the many lies he was taught in elementary school about our history.

The evidence suggests that Hanke may well believe those lies. I have no idea
about Dr. Mensan's views on the subject, however...

To this ignorant Brit it seems significant that you have not protested that
you are in any way different from Jason Repa.

I would like to take this opportunity to, for a change of pace,
wholeheartedly AGREE with Dorkus Holes-by, that he is indeed an *ignorant*
Brit. Spot-on, old chap! Right on the money! Good show. Jolly, jolly
good!

No argument here.

But this charge of one unwelcome critic necessarily being Jason Repa is
probably just a shot-in-the-dark.

What I said was not that Hanke *is* Jason Repa (and certainly Dr. Mensan is
not) but rather that the language and tactics which Hanke, StanB, Briarroot and
you have employed are remarkably similar to those of Jason Repa, who is
undoubtedly mentally unbalanced...

Now, I responded, as thoughtfully as my small intellect would allow

No one can ask for more than that. I commend you for your effort.

To me (an ignorant Brit) it appears only that what he is doing is redressing
a seriously distorted and right-wing imbalance in the posts of StanB,
Briarroot and you

Once again, I agree with this poster who, in addition to being utterly
incapable of distinguishing a troll from a critic, cannot seem to recognise
just how silly (and hyppocritical) he looks while completely ignoring his
pal's
off-topic problem,

"...completely ignoring his pal's off-topic problem,"....

Now YOU are *clearly* trolling. I already pointed out to you (in the troll
thread: "A Feud For All Seasons", which YOU started):

"Here are the three most recent examples - all from the same thread -
of my correcting him:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2C323665

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D27362665

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P26312665

So much for your "double standard" allegation, then...

The fact is that I apply the *same* standards to Bourbaki as I apply
to *everyone* else *including*
myself...."

Mark Houlsby 2003-07-26 14:21:04 PST

Don't troll NoMo. It's a bad idea. You'll always be caught out.

while laying into certain others for posting off-topic.
His
justification? Somebody else crossposted something, so "therefore" Nick's
many
off-topic screeds don't count! Well, he warned us that he wasn't very
bright.

Once again: my justification is that I apply the *same* standard (i.e. the
rules of these groups) to *everyone* INCLUDING MYSELF.

So, to summarise:

In your post you tried to construct an argument which states that I have
difficulty distinguishing between different posters here.

In constructing that argument, you repeatedly demonstrated *your* difficulty in
distinguishing between Don Mihokovich and Tim Hanke. You attributed a great
many of Hanke's words to Mihokovich.

It seems, therefore, that you were describing your *own* difficulty, not
mine...

You accused me again of a charge which I already refuted in another troll
thread of your making.

You heartily agreed with my describing myself as "not very smart", yet here you
have been *completely outsmarted* AGAIN, by me...

What does that make you, I wonder...?

Keep banging those rocks together!

Mark
Old July 31st 03, 08:11 AM
NoMoreChess

..
-mercy snip-

Well, he warned us that he wasn't very bright.

....and that warning is about the only accurate thing out of Houlsby's
keyboard! You see, according to Houlsby's self-styled logic; anyone that
disagrees with him is a troll

" ...a certain level of intelligence is required to make this distinction.
Enough said. "

A dimwit has no real logic. When he's right, it's pure luck! LOL

Old July 31st 03, 09:19 AM
NoMoreChess

..
Mr. Holesby has discovered an error, wherein I mistakenly thought (forone
night) that certain quoted words originated from the keyboard of "Dr. Mensan,"
when in fact, they were the product of the notorius Tim Hanke (of Harvard
fame). Touche!

Here is where the men are separated from the "trolls": I stand by *every
word* I wrote.

Every comment I made toward "Dr. Mensan" applies ipso-facto-mundo to Tim
Hanke, who actually wrote those accursed words -- injustly accusing Nick
Bourbaki of crimes he has not (to my knowledge) yet committed.

I stand fast to my stated position: not feeling insulted, or slammed, or
threatened by Nick's criticisms of the USA. By his expose of "our" hideous
warcrimes and/or racism. On the contrary, I enjoy learning new things, and
history is one of the more useful subjects.

I believe that *Tim's* problem reveals some sort of insecurity, or outright
denial of the hard facts of "our" history. There now. The person who penned
those words to which I responded, mattered not a whit, did it? For I was
responding to the idea, not ad hominem, not to the person. Unexpected? Only
here, in rgc!

Now, Dorkus resumes his usual programming:

I suspect that Hanke is not "living in La-La land" but that rather he is a
lying, superpatriotic, blundering, moronic troll

What I said was not that Hanke *is* Jason Repa (and certainly Dr. Mensan is
not) but rather that the language and tactics which Hanke, StanB, Briarroot
and you have employed are remarkably similar to those of Jason Repa, who is
undoubtedly mentally unbalanced...

Here, we learn only that Dorkus *dreads* the resurection of a former foe --
the infamous Jason Repa -- who may have disagreed with Holes-by so many times
as to have earned the special status of a "mental" case. Of course, the
"logical conclusion" is supposed to be that everyone who disagrees with Dorkus
*on anything*, is mentally unbalanced! LOL

While I do recognize that name, I cannot remember anything about Jason Repa,
apart from a reputation of being some kind of troll (a REAL troll, Dorkus).

To me (an ignorant Brit) it appears only that what he is doing is redressing
a seriously distorted and right-wing imbalance in the posts of StanB,
Briarroot and you

I agree, and believe that Nick has not taken a rabidly anti-American
viewpoint in order to attack and insult America, as his critics would have it.
In fact, when Nick posts another one of his many historical "off-topic
screeds," I never see them as anything but an attempt to present another of the
many-sided viewpoints of some war or atrocity. If I am not interested, I
simply don't read it.

You want real anti-American propaganda? Try Tomic, or that Frenchman who
confounded the American people with "warmonger" George W. Bush.

"Here are the three most recent examples - all from the same thread -
of my correcting him:[Nick]

I assume you mean by this that you have called Nick a "troll," and accused
him of being Jason Repa, and forced him to suffer all the other "penalties" you
impose on other *off-topic* posters? I must have missed that thread. Is it
the same mysterious thread wherein Nick attacked you for some trivial spelling
error, as he does his other unwelcome critics? LOL

Of course, all this "proves" that Nick's lickspittle, Dorkus Holes-by, is in
no way biased, pro or con on any issue, as evidenced in "some other thread,
somewhere" in which Dorkus called Nick a "troll" and Nick corrected Dorky's
spelling, setting things right, once and for all. These two realy hate each
other -- they've just been putting on a act. Boy were we easy to fool!

One day, poor Dorkus may figure out a way to locate the real definition of an
internet troll.
He might some day discover that he could go to, say, google.com, and do a
search on that word. After many months of trying, he may accidentally stumble
across it -- who knows. Then the only remaining question will be: can he
actually comprehend a simple definition of a simple word like "troll"? Time
will tell.

Old July 31st 03, 05:33 PM
Mhoulsby

From: illspam (NoMoreChess)
Date: 31/07/03 08:19 GMT Daylight Time
.
[...]

Once again, this is in *complete agreement* with what I have *already
written*....

Now, Dorkus resumes his usual programming:

I suspect that Hanke is not "living in La-La land" but that rather he is a
lying, superpatriotic, blundering, moronic troll

What I said was not that Hanke *is* Jason Repa (and certainly Dr. Mensan is
not) but rather that the language and tactics which Hanke, StanB, Briarroot
and you have employed are remarkably similar to those of Jason Repa, who is
undoubtedly mentally unbalanced...

Here, we learn only that Dorkus *dreads* the resurection of a former foe --
the infamous Jason Repa -- who may have disagreed with Holes-by so many
times
as to have earned the special status of a "mental" case. Of course, the
"logical conclusion" is supposed to be that everyone who disagrees with
Dorkus
*on anything*, is mentally unbalanced! LOL

Nope. I don't dread it. What I do is to report his abuse, just as I am about to
report yours...

snips remaining horse manure

*PLONK*!!!!!!!

Moron.