Kasparov refuses to continue Simul game in Chicago!

Old July 30th 03, 11:34 PM
Scott

Default Kasparov refuses to continue Simul game in Chicago!

http://www.mrfixitonline.com/readTop...tingId=1366118

"Kasparov rather nervously asked me if I had a rating. I replied 2084
and he, not looking very happy, asked why I didn't write it down in
front of the board next to my name. I replied that no one asked me too
and that the Belzberg people knew my rating and only today OK my
playing since I am a client. He then stated that if he had known I was
rated that highly he would have played differently rather than getting
into a very theoretical line. Being aware of the 2000 cutoff I again
appologized for the misunderstanding and we quickly realized that the
Belzberg staff had erred in not telling people to write down their
ratings (these were different people than from the NYC event). I
simply stated "I'm sorry for the confusion, I won't play " and started
to get up and Garry, reiterating that he'd have played differently vs
a rated expert, started resetting the pieces to the starting position
and said we can restart. Being rather shocked by this and what was
over a minute of commotion and confusion I knew the gentlemanly thing
for me to do was to step away and let someone else under 2000 play."
Old July 31st 03, 01:36 AM
mondo

Scott wrote:
[...]

I think the whole situation was handled rather professionally. For his
trouble mr Kazaross was given some one on one time with Kasparov. Your
subject line while accurate doesn't relay the whole event.

Old July 31st 03, 02:53 AM
John Fernandez

It also should be noted that there was a strict limit on the time they had for
all the games to be over.

John Fernandez
Old July 31st 03, 03:19 AM
Wet_Chess_Dreams

"Scott" wrote in message
m...
[...]

"gentlemanly"? ROFL you sir are no gentleman! You are a COWARD and a PHONEY!
You, a mere garden-variety expert, have an opportunity to play a second game
with one of the greatest chess minds ever and you act with such pomposity as
to decline? Jackasses like you make me sick to my stomach! You try to play
the role of everyone's "moral superiour" but in reality you are just a
little chicken **** hypocrite. Do us all a favour and find a hole in the
ground to bury your head in!!

WCD

Old July 31st 03, 03:48 AM
Matt Nemmers

"Wet_Chess_Dreams" wrote in
message . ca...

SNIP

Looks like Jason Repa has switched his synonym yet *again*.

sigh

Why does this child never learn?

Regards,

Matt

Old July 31st 03, 07:51 AM
FredH.

Default Kasparov refuses to continue Simul game in Chicago! I don't understand

(Scott) wrote in message om...
[...]

I do not understand why Kasparov has an issue with this. He is widely
recognized for his opening preparation. In a small scale simul such as
this, should he not be able to mop the floor with a 2084 player? Why
does he even care?

Regards,
Fred.
Old July 31st 03, 09:54 AM
John Fernandez

I do not understand why Kasparov has an issue with this. He is widely
recognized for his opening preparation. In a small scale simul such as
this, should he not be able to mop the floor with a 2084 player? Why
does he even care?

Regards,
Fred.

Because in such simuls, the hall is rented out for a particular amount of time,
and a dinner is scheduled afterwards. In Kasparov's experience, playing against
a player 2000 or better causes the simul to go much longer, and ruins the
organizer's plans for the evening. The event was NOT just a simul.

John Fernandez

Old July 31st 03, 12:24 PM
Gunny Bunny

Sounds like Garry was losing!

If the rating tourney was 2000 or less and a 2084 player jumps in, then the
2084 player has broken the rules and should leave the table. He did the
right thing by leaving!

"FredH." wrote in message
om...

om...

Old July 31st 03, 01:47 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
"Wet_Chess_Dreams" wrote:

"gentlemanly"? ROFL you sir are no gentleman! You are a COWARD and a PHONEY!
You, a mere garden-variety expert, have an opportunity to play a second game
with one of the greatest chess minds ever and you act with such pomposity as
to decline? Jackasses like you make me sick to my stomach! You try to play
the role of everyone's "moral superiour" but in reality you are just a
little chicken **** hypocrite. Do us all a favour and find a hole in the
ground to bury your head in!!

I disagree. both players did the right thing in a gentlemanly manner,
and neither player was responsible for the mistake. It is clear that if
the player had kept playing a new game against kasparov, the latter
would have put particular attention to that game, because losing it
would have been a great humiliation. The way it was handled was a
minimum-hassle solution. Kudos to all.

Henri
Old July 31st 03, 02:26 PM
LeModernCaveman

I would have offered to tutor him in the main line openings and walked away
while laughing my head off.