USCF Membership Numbers

Old August 3rd 03, 04:06 AM
Peter C. Nixon

Default USCF Membership Numbers

I have just posted the August 2, 2003 USCF membership numbers at:
http://detroitchess.com/USCFmem2.htm

Thanks to Gary Prince for sending me a copy of the membership audit.

Peter C. Nixon
http://detroitchess.com/
Old August 3rd 03, 04:21 AM
John Fernandez

Pete Nixon wrote:

I have just posted the August 2, 2003 USCF membership numbers at:
http://detroitchess.com/USCFmem2.htm

Another 200 adults down the drain.

We've also lost 6,291 members since March. The 90,000+ number we bandied about
is no more. It doesn't even seem we'll make it to 100K. I guess this means
we'll live, per Bruce's hypothesis.

John Fernandez
Old August 3rd 03, 05:15 AM
RSHaas

Adults still on the way down. Fully paid youth down about 1000 since June!!
(RSHaas)
Old August 3rd 03, 03:54 PM
ASCACHESS

Adult membership is now down 4,000 or 15% from January of 2001. Imagine how
things would be if we hadn't raised dues last year.

StanB

The patient already feeling woozy from the blood extraction is surprised that
his doctors have accelerated the process.

Imagine how things would have been if we hadn't accelerated blood extraction?

Gadzooks!
Old August 3rd 03, 03:55 PM
RSHaas

"Adult membership is now down 4,000 or 15% from January of 2001. Imagine how
things would be if we hadn't raised dues last year." (StanB)
===============
Probably not much better. The decline in membership is not due entirely to
the cost of membership.
Eventually the USCF is going to have to reinvent itself. Membership overall
will have to become more attractive. Reinvention doesn't mean simply doing
more efficiently what Chess HQ has done all along. Reinvention means something
enirely new in the membership package.
Maybe the "new" guys, Don, Tim, and Beatrix, will think of something. Maybe
not. (RSHaas)
Old August 3rd 03, 04:58 PM
StanB

"RSHaas" wrote in message

"Adult membership is now down 4,000 or 15% from January of 2001. Imagine

how
things would be if we hadn't raised dues last year." (StanB)
===============
Probably not much better. The decline in membership is not due entirely

the cost of membership.

Nonsense. The high cost of a membership to a beginner creates an artifically
high barrier to enter the USCF.

Eventually the USCF is going to have to reinvent itself. Membership

overall
will have to become more attractive. Reinvention doesn't mean simply

doing
more efficiently what Chess HQ has done all along. Reinvention means

something
enirely new in the membership package.
Maybe the "new" guys, Don, Tim, and Beatrix, will think of something.

Maybe
not. (RSHaas)

Don't hold your breath.

StanB

Old August 3rd 03, 05:43 PM
George John

"StanB" wrote in message

Nonsense. The high cost of a membership to a beginner creates an

artifically
high barrier to enter the USCF.

I agree the barrier for a beginner is too often too high. What I don't see
as $49/$45 as a substantially higher barrier to the prior $40 barrier.

George

Old August 3rd 03, 06:59 PM
ASCACHESS

Maybe the "new" guys, Don, Tim, and Beatrix, will think of something.
Maybe
not. (RSHaas)

Don't hold your breath.

StanB

"new" guys???
DON SCHULTZ, new guy???
Beatriz Marinello, new guy (person)???

I don't always like Tim's ideas, but he is alone as the new guy.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Rp
Old August 3rd 03, 07:12 PM
StanB

"George John" wrote in message
news
Nonsense. The high cost of a membership to a beginner creates an

artifically
high barrier to enter the USCF.

I agree the barrier for a beginner is too often too high. What I don't

see
as $49/$45 as a substantially higher barrier to the prior $40 barrier.

It is not "substantially" higher. But, it is more than enough to hurt.

StanB