Red Management Illusions

Old August 3rd 03, 05:14 PM
ASCACHESS

Default Red Management Illusions

Yes, and what else? The question wasn't intended to be facetious. My gut is
that B&E is shrinking (from historical levels, inflation adjusted), but I
don't
know for sure.

Kevin L. Bachler

Strangely enough, as the market becomes more efficient, USCF's assumed
advantages diminish.

For instance, has anyone noticed the fall of chess clock prices?
No one is fooled by the USCF "discounts" anymore when access to other sources
of chess equipment is so readily available.

Herein lies the problem for the illusions of Red Management panacea where B+E
are concerned. Things aren't the same as they were back in the heydays of the
mid 80s.

For example, back in the 80s USCF was "the" source for chess clocks. For most
of the country, there was no good local alternative, so USCF got the business
by default.
As a result, USCF was able to push the price of its signature USCF Quartz Clock
up from $40 all the way to $85.
Now, you can buy nearly the same clock for about $25 bucks.
Does anyone still want to pay $100 for one of USCF's digital clocks? Are they
about $45 now?
So just to make the gross numbers from earlier, USCF needs to sell twice as
many clocks as USCF's profit margins decrease.

Rp
Old August 4th 03, 07:30 AM
ASCACHESS

The fact that the new version of the GameTime clock sells for 1/2 as
much as the earlier version does not necessarily mean that the USCF
makes 1/2 as much on each sale. Obviously, it depends on the margin.
Is the profit margin really 1/2 as much?

KidDon

I certainly don't know for sure, but I would imagine the margins are less than
1/2.

Even if they aren't, USCF must still get around the fact that in absolute
dollars, they must still sell two clocks to get the same number of sales
dollars as before.

Rp
Old August 4th 03, 04:07 PM
LeModernCaveman

[...]

In the 1980s I used a Jerger clock which was about $70.00 and worked great.

Old August 4th 03, 05:31 PM
ASCACHESS

In the 1980s I used a Jerger clock which was about $70.00 and worked great.

Have you tried to buy a Jerger in, oh say
the last ten years?
Old August 5th 03, 01:29 PM
RSHaas

I have an old Jerger still in the box.. never used for rated or speed play.
How much is it worth, I wonder? (RSHaas)