On Kasparov's WIMPING OUT...I had a similar situation once.

Old August 4th 03, 04:23 PM
LeModernCaveman

Default On Kasparov's WIMPING OUT...I had a similar situation once.

Okay, so it wasn't for the world title, but I was by far the strongest player
in the coffeehouse, and some Ivy-League type had called me out.

We're playing and I castle, only I'm informed by him that I couldn't castle
"because I had already been in check." I used to carry a rulebook with me in
case something like this happened, but didn't have it in my possession.

I looked at the board, weighed the knowledge of my opponent, and said "Fine,
you say I can't castle?" Then I lifted my king up to f2, moved the rook over
to e1, then neatly tucked the king on g1, before proceeding to kick his tail
anyway.

Old August 5th 03, 06:55 AM
LeModernCaveman

We're playing and I castle, only I'm informed by him that I couldn't
castle
"because I had already been in check." I used to carry a rulebook with me

in
case something like this happened, but didn't have it in my possession.

I looked at the board, weighed the knowledge of my opponent, and said

"Fine,
you say I can't castle?" Then I lifted my king up to f2, moved the rook

over
to e1, then neatly tucked the king on g1, before proceeding to kick his

tail
anyway.

Yeah, and...?

I didn't back down and beat him at his own game, without complaining.

I was better for it.

Kasparov should have played on.

Old August 6th 03, 06:45 AM
LeModernCaveman

We're playing and I castle, only I'm informed by him that I couldn't
castle
"because I had already been in check." I used to carry a rulebook with

me
in
case something like this happened, but didn't have it in my possession.

I looked at the board, weighed the knowledge of my opponent, and said
"Fine,
you say I can't castle?" Then I lifted my king up to f2, moved the

rook
over
to e1, then neatly tucked the king on g1, before proceeding to kick his
tail
anyway.

Yeah, and...?

I didn't back down and beat him at his own game, without complaining.

Oh, yippee...

I was better for it.

Apparently not.

Kasparov should have played on.

Your mistake is thinking that this follows from your previous inanities...

I am an expert, peak rating of 2000, current rating about 1900.

I am qualified to speak for the typical player at that simul in that I am the
same TYPE of player.

Kasparov WIMPED OUT!

Old August 6th 03, 07:42 AM
NoMoreChess

..
I am an expert, peak rating of 2000, current rating about 1900.

You are actually a "Class A" player, peak rating of 2000, current rating
about 1900, all-time low -- not given, "for some strange reason" (think about
this).

An "Expert" is someone with a current USCF rating between 2000 and 2199, peak
rating irrelevant, all-time low rating irrelevant.

BTW, at 1900, you are currently at the dead center of your class ("A"), so it
is a toss-up whether you will one day become an "Expert" or a "Class B" player,
or forever remain where right you are (above the vast majority of
chessplayers).

I am qualified to speak for the typical player at that simul in that I am the
same TYPE of player.

Kasparov WIMPED OUT!

You probably would have said the very same thing if Garry had merely (very
quickly) taken back a move, against a girl. Some people you just can't please,
no matter how hard you try!

"Fine,
you say I can't castle?" Then I lifted my king up to f2, moved the
rook over
to e1, then neatly tucked the king on g1, before proceeding to kick his
tail

Next time he may insist that you lose on the spot, simply because you have
been checked! After all, if you encourage this sort of behavior, if you fail
to nip it in the bud, you become a part of the problem. You should have kicked
him *immediately,* and a good *spanking* wouldn't have hurt, either! What do
you think that rulebook is for?

"Spoil the rod, and spare the child."

- Confusedcius