U.S. Open player count

Old August 6th 03, 10:54 AM
Miriling

Default U.S. Open player count

Subject: U.S. Open player count

On 6 August 2003 Bruce Draney replied in

How does this compare to St. Paul, Framingham and Cherry Hill totals
before the shortened schedules begin? How many players are
pre-registered for the shortened schedules? Also, what is the late/on
site entry fee for the tournament?

If the on site fee is much higher than the pre-registration rate, it
will greatly discourage local players who decide to come in and register
at the last minute. While it makes sense to discourage late entries in
a huge national scholastic event, it is silly to discourage adult
players from padding the attendance numbers at a tournament like this,
particularly when there is only one round a day and corrections or
changes can easily be made adding or deleting players long before it
causes pairing problems. By charging excessive late fees the USCF could
be shooting itself in the foot.

Back in the days when I used to run tournaments, I never put the entry
fee for late registration more than $5.00 to $10.00 higher for my
events, because I figured that a $5.00 penalty would make me extra
money, but a player who came in and found out the penalty for not having
pre-registered was so high that he decided not to pay anything rather
than pay an inexplicably high late entry fee, was a lose lose situation
for me.

Best Regards,

Bruce

I don't know how the number of players in Los Angeles compares to St. Paul,

Framingham and Cherry Hill totals before the shortened schedules begin, but I
counted roughly 130 players signed up for the shortened schedules (i.e. 8-day,
6-day, busy person) in LA, not counting players that Jerry Hanken claims the
USCF office left off the advance entry list.

The on-site, i.e. late, fee for everyone is $220, which is $33-$35 more for
those registering for the shortened schedules, depending on the particular
schedule.

Going into Round 4, Wednesday, Aug. 6, I count a total of 210 players on the
wallcharts (traditional = 181, matinee = 29). Even with the shortened-schedule
players and door entries, I doubt if the tournament can crack 400 players -
this for an event where they anticipated more than 600 players!

George Mirijanian

Old August 6th 03, 08:21 PM
Miriling

Based on the Web site postings prior to Round 4, August 6, the following are
the player totals in each of the categories:

Traditional = 181
Matinee = 29
8-day = 87
6-day = 67
Busy Person=15

TOTAL = 369 players

George Mirijanian
Old August 7th 03, 01:03 AM
RSHaas

Poor turnout for a big town.
Old August 7th 03, 04:38 AM
RSHaas

Next up are the various open state championships over Labor Day. It will be
interesting to see if these set records or tank. Maybe someone on here can
report the numbers when they become known. (RSHaas)
Old August 7th 03, 04:38 AM
RSHaas

Did Chess HQ lose money on the US Open? (RSHaas)
Old August 7th 03, 08:11 AM
John Fernandez

I see 14 GMs total. You've got to be kidding me.

John Fernandez
Old August 7th 03, 08:13 AM
John Fernandez

At least it wasn't as bad of a disaster as the US Senior Open, which based
prizes on 100 showing up and got about 30. I hear the organizer is blaming the
USCF and demanding USCF pay the prize fund and losses.

The USCF is going to give him the Organizer of the Year award, however, for
successfully bidding 2 of the top National Events and getting a total of 30
players for both.

John Fernandez
Old August 7th 03, 04:27 PM
Joechess145

From: (RSHaas)
Date: 8/6/2003 10:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Next up are the various open state championships over Labor Day. It will be
interesting to see if these set records or tank. Maybe someone on here can
report the numbers when they become known. (RSHaas)

For news of the New England Open on Labor Day see
http://ourworld.cs.com/joechess145/m...ge/sports.html

As of right now, entries seem to be way off of what they were during the last
two years, but it is still early.

Joe