If chess pieces could talk...

Old August 7th 03, 12:17 AM
RSHaas

Default If chess pieces could talk...

One of the best personal accounts of war is a book entitled "Zero," by
Saburo Saki, one of the original core of 500 Army fighter pilots. I found it
years ago on a discount book table. Great read for war buffs.
Another good one is "Company Aytch," by Sam Watkins, a civil war vet from
Tennessee. (RSHaas)
Old August 7th 03, 06:57 AM
Briarroot

RSHaas wrote:

One of the best personal accounts of war is a book entitled "Zero," by
Saburo Saki, one of the original core of 500 Army fighter pilots. I found it
years ago on a discount book table. Great read for war buffs.

Yup, I own a copy. Sakai was magnificent! His account of
his dogfight over Iwo Jima with an entire squadron of Hellcats
is a classic case of the underdog beating the odds.

Another good one is "Company Aytch," by Sam Watkins, a civil war vet from
Tennessee. (RSHaas)

Many excerpts from this book were read by an actor in the
Ken Burns video documentary of the American Civil War.
Great stuff!