Niro resigns

Old August 8th 03, 12:26 AM
Fifiela

Default Niro resigns

The first thought of all decent chess players is to wish Frank Niro the Best
of Heath! All else is small.

Best to Frank and his family.

Allan FiField
Old August 8th 03, 02:49 AM
RSHaas

"USCF Executive Director Frank Niro has submitted his resignation, citing
health
reasons." (BG)
===============
According to a website I examined a while back, Crossville listed only one
cardiologist and the local hospital ain't exactly a Johns Hopkins. That could
be a "health reason" itself.
But my guess is that Frank had no intention of moving to Crossville even
with the best of health. (RSHaas)
Old August 8th 03, 07:36 AM
John Fernandez

Frank,

Stay healthy. Best of luck to you.

Best,
John
Old August 8th 03, 08:03 AM
Bruce Draney

Interesting. There are a lot of possible reasons, and I'm certain
health is right up there, but I suspect there are several other reasons
as well, including the recent inking of a new three year deal with Games
Parlor, which the Board was reportedly unhappy about. In addition, the
future doesn't look very bright with USCF having continual financial
difficulties into the forseeable future and with the Board rejecting
offers for the CHOF and instead moving to a remote locale in Tennessee.
There is also the handling of the Deb Sheri situation which caused a
further decline in TLA processing, the handling of the PPHBF funds which
countermanded a specific Delegate motion, not to mention the extremely
late release of financial information and annual reports.

Frank is a decent man, and I have nothing personal against him as I felt
he was taking on a hopeless job that needs nothing short of a miracle
now to allow USCF to survive.

Frank had great promise when he first came on board last year as ED, but
he lost a great deal of my respect as a leader for his foolish
insistence on raising adult dues $9.00 last year, even though all the
evidence suggested this was an absolutely horrid idea.

We can hope that Frank didn't get a golden parachute in order to leave
and that his real reasons are just as stated. Although many think USCF
will do poorly without Frank in charge, in my opinion USCF is doomed to
do poorly with any ED in charge, because the organization is unwilling
to change its long failed policies. Best of luck to Frank and his
family. Life is short and USCF is certainly not a critical part of
anyone's life that is worth losing any sleep over. What should come
first for Frank and everyone else, is life, health and family.
Everything after that is just gravy.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 8th 03, 09:05 AM
Duncan Oxley

Yes, my feelings exactly.

Good luck Frank.

Duncan

Old August 9th 03, 06:04 AM
Altes Wiesel

"Altes Wiesel" wrote in message
"Recmate" wrote in message
USCF Executive Director Frank Niro has submitted his resignation, citing

health
reasons. See www.chessnews.org.

Bill Goichberg

He lied to vendors, he lied to the rulebook editors. He lied to the
members. Good riddance.

And now he lied about the financials. There is over a $300K loss.

Old August 9th 03, 05:30 PM
Bill Smythe

"Recmate" wrote:
.... Frank Niro has submitted his resignation ....

Frank Niro was much needed when he took on the position, and did a lot to
turn USCF around.

He may have made a mistake or two along the way, but who wouldn't?

If the next ED is as good as Frank Niro, the future looks decent for USCF.

Bill Smythe

Old August 9th 03, 06:41 PM
Altes Weisel

"Bill Smythe" wrote in message
"Recmate" wrote:
.... Frank Niro has submitted his resignation ....

Frank Niro was much needed when he took on the position, and did a lot to
turn USCF around.

He may have made a mistake or two along the way, but who wouldn't?

If the next ED is as good as Frank Niro, the future looks decent for USCF.

Bill Smythe

This is ridiculous. How can anyone praise the job this guy did when he
presided over a $364,000 loss?

When are USCF members going to wake up?

Old August 9th 03, 10:48 PM
John Fernandez

Frank Niro was much needed when he took on the position, and did a lot to
turn USCF around.

He may have made a mistake or two along the way, but who wouldn't?

If the next ED is as good as Frank Niro, the future looks decent for USCF.

Bill Smythe

Bill,

As much as I liked Frank, one has to wonder how good he was. It doesn't seem
our financial situation improved much, there were major problems in the office
and with personell, TLA's being unable to be processed, two huge situations
with the ratings being held back a month, huge vendor issues, a continuation of
the GamesParlor contract against the direct wishes of the board, and the whole
moving fiasco.

I like the guy a lot, but I highly doubt he'll be considered a success as an
ED. De Feis he isn't, but I don't think that alone qualifies as "good".

John Fernandez
Old August 9th 03, 11:18 PM
Bill Brock

(Recmate) wrote in message ...
USCF Executive Director Frank Niro has submitted his resignation, citing health
reasons. See
www.chessnews.org.

Bill Goichberg

It would be a big favor to the next Exec Dir if an interim ED went in,
fired a bunch of people (maybe hiring one or two to compensate), and
gave the few folks remaining nice raises & bottom-line based incentive
bonuses.

Not necessarily a reflection on the performance of current staff, but
on budgetary realities.