Let the Rumors Start Here.

Old August 8th 03, 08:16 AM
Bruce Draney

Default Let the Rumors Start Here.

I have nothing but shear speculation to base this on, but is it possible
that Harry Sabine might be named ED to replace Frank Niro, now that Niro
has resigned?

I don't know Harry Sabine personally, but know he lives in Tennessee
which is where USCF is moving. I know that Sabine has very cordial
relations with the McCrary Board and that it will be difficult to
attract good ED candidates to a floundering organization like USCF,
particularly when it's in a grove of cedar trees in a deserted mill, 70
miles from nowhere. Not only that but Sabine is a strong scholastic
supporter from my understanding of things and also has been involved for
some time in USCF politics.

Of course not knowing if Mr. Sabine currently has a high paying job that
he would not be interested in leaving or whether he's even interested in
leading USCF as ED, makes this just a matter of my posing the question.

I have no inside information nor have I heard anything that would lead
me to believe Sabine is even being considered, but it is interesting to
consider who USCF will hire to lead now that Frank has stepped aside.

In addition, does this mean that Frank C. is now free to take up even
more pages in USCF's catalog with House of Staunton items? Perhaps we
should just call it the HOS catalog which contains a few pages of USCF
items that can be ordered if one skips past the first 15 pages of the
catalog which offer only HOS stuff.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 8th 03, 10:52 AM
John Fernandez

Bruce Draney wrote:

I have no inside information nor have I heard anything that would lead
me to believe Sabine is even being considered, but it is interesting to
consider who USCF will hire to lead now that Frank has stepped aside.

I guess that's the big question- how many qualified applicants will the USCF
get for Crossville? Florida and New York would at least get SOME interest.

John Fernandez
Old August 8th 03, 03:32 PM
RSHaas

Has Harry Sabine retired from his law practice or wound it down to a part time
practice? If that is the case perhaps he could take on the ED role. (RSHaas)

Old August 8th 03, 06:41 PM
Kevin Croxen

In article , John Fernandez wrote:
Bruce Draney wrote:

I have no inside information nor have I heard anything that would lead
me to believe Sabine is even being considered, but it is interesting to
consider who USCF will hire to lead now that Frank has stepped aside.

I guess that's the big question- how many qualified applicants will the USCF
get for Crossville? Florida and New York would at least get SOME interest.

John Fernandez

Maybe this is something to keep Al Gore occupied until 2008.
Old August 10th 03, 01:45 AM
RSHaas

The situation in President McCrary's words is "desperate." (Jim Eade)
=============
Shucks. I guess that means no USCF Metro Districts this month.

(RSHaas)
Old August 10th 03, 02:31 AM
JimEade

It's golf heaven? Then, how about Denis Strenzwilk, who has been a Life
Master
for decades, KNOWS chess, is retired and would pay us -- we wouldn't have to
pay him -- to live in "GOLF heaven", as the ED? We'd have to arrange his
vacation in Bermuda every year for the Bermuda Open. (I believe that only
Denis and Andy Soltis have made EVERY Bermuda Open. In fact, I wouldn't be
surprised to learn that Denis goes there more for the golf than for the
chess.)
And, now that I think of it, why couldn't Denis visit Bermuda every year (at
the "right" time), as the ED checking up on one of the most exotic affiliates
of the USCF.

Heute Uhmuhrikkka, Afghanistan und Irak. Morgen die ganze Welt!

Uhmuhrikkka, Uhmuhrikkka uber Alles!

Fraternally,

Jerry Bibuld

gens una sumus

Hi Jerry,

I don't think I know Denis. You brought a smile to my face reminding me of
golfing in Bermuda. My wife and I stayed at the Hamilton Princess Hotel, if
memory serves. After a round of golf at the Ocean View golf course, which back
in the '50's was a course for African Bermudians, I walked into the hotel lobby
and, by chance, looked at the events list.

Bermuda chess club was the main event of the day! I couldn't believe my eyes.
I went straight to it, opened the door and was face to face with Yvette
Seirawan, which is not a bad thing. I had apparently stumbled upon a
Seirawan-Adams match, which followed the universally acclaimed Bermuda Open.
Small world.

I ran into Mickey again after a round at the St. George's, which was the
highlight of the golf trip. The 16th hole is not to be believed. Forgive my
tangent, but I had my first eagle putt on that course, but I confess I missed
it. (I've had a number of eagle putts since then and have made only two.)
Back to chess, Adams I liked right away and now that I'm out of FIDE politics,
I hope to be friends with Yasser again.

Best regards.

James Eade
Remove the Sheesh to respond. Don't worry. Talk happy.
Old August 10th 03, 03:00 PM
Parrthenon

CRUCIFIED IN CROSSVILLE?

By Larry Parr

In even a rotten world the USCF should remain where CHESS is. I.e., New
York and environs.

But ...but, as Dr. Panrust noted, all is for the worst in the worst of
all possible worlds. Crossville, one guesses, it must be. The worthy, though
not high art of chess is exiled to Tennessee where most people play checkers
on crackerbarrels. They also whittle, and the cops have speedtraps to catch
New York motorists and terrorists with Malaysian license plates. There are no
libraries, schools and roads. The Cherokee are there.

The numbers, as analyzed by Bill Goichberg, are "D" for dismal, dim,
dreary and depressing. If one figures getting $500,000 for the building,
include $300,000 for the LMA, that gives the Federation $800,000 by way of a
cushion.

MINUS, I think, $300,000 owed to the bank, $200,000 excess in accounts
payable, and $200,000 in expenses for the move. That leaves a grand total of
$100,000 by way of a cushion, though one can figure this number is Swiss
cheesy.

There is the Crossville land on which the Federation can borrow.
That's all.

IF, which is thankfully the longest word in the English language this
time around, losses continue at the current rate (say, a quarter million a
year), then the Federation could go down in less than six months. They won't.
So give the USCF a final chance to remain in its current form over the next 12
to 18 months.

The alternative, as Larry Evans and I noted years ago, begins with the
assumption that there will ALWAYS be an USCF. The issue is what it will look
like. There is a fair chance it will become a rating, rules and sanctioning
agency in a two-room office.

But just as my daughter learned in her Victorian Britain course that
there will always, sir, yes sir, always BE IN ENGLAND, so too there will always
be an USCF.

The Federation will not be crucified in Crossville. It will be in
exile.

Old August 10th 03, 07:00 PM
Bill Brock

Lotsa kiddies in Crossville!

************

Don't get hot and bothered, Larry baby, you've CONVINCED me that it's
très cool for adults to finger "young girls" in the trade (think of
Jodi Foster's character in _Taxi Driver_), or to deflower one--14, 12,
it's cool, tight pussy is tight pussy, right? Molestation may be an
objective description, but is not now meant disparagingly. Hey, if it
feels good, do it!

And yes, I now agree, different cultures and circumstances DO allow
for different morals. (Marlow to Kurtz, upriver: "Wow, this flesh is
delicious!") And now that I know what the average Thai is really like
(gee, they once seemed like normal family types to me, but I'm
gullible), I'm excited to go restaurant-hopping: my next tom kha khai
might lead to something even spicier!

And you're right, we have NO EVIDENCE for Sam Sloan's actions other
than the testimony of Sam Sloan (whose reputation for veracity may
have been discussed on previous occasions), certain circumstantial
evidence you're indicated that you're not interested in discussing,
and something else (also circumstantial) ... but I'm cool with that,
too ....

In short, I've had it with this puritanical obsession with "morality",
and will follow your advice, Larry baby, and act accordingly, as
should you all.

Now if the kiddie hos had been being run by FIDE pimps who were
funneling the profits to Campo, THAT would be a cause for outrage!

Everything (ex-FIDE) is permitted! Thank you so much, Larry baby!

PARTY ON!!!!!
Old August 12th 03, 03:57 AM
StanB

"Jerome Bibuld" wrote in message

It's golf heaven? Then, how about Denis Strenzwilk, who has been a Life

Master
for decades, KNOWS chess, is retired and would pay us -- we wouldn't have

pay him -- to live in "GOLF heaven", as the ED? We'd have to arrange his
vacation in Bermuda every year for the Bermuda Open.

Why not pack your brown shirts and head on out then?

StanB