Tenures of USCF executive directors

Old August 10th 03, 05:30 AM
RSHaas

Default Tenures of USCF executive directors

The next ED is likely to be the last one. (RSHaas)
Old August 11th 03, 07:18 AM
Parrthenon

NOT SURE WHO IS TALKING

By Larry Parr

I'm not sure who is speaking in some of the paragraphs below, so my
comments will appear in brackets without containing a response to anyone in
particular.

My solution for the USCF's problems is two-fold: 1. Hire someone as ED
who has proven that he can make money for the Federation (Al Lawrence, first;
or Gerry Dullea); and 2. Begin assuming right NOW that the move to Tennessee
will be a thermonuclear experience. Everything that can go wrong, will go
wrong.

I would favor putting Frank Camaratta in charge of the moving operation
with Al Lawrence serving either as interim or permanent ED if he is willing.
If Camaratta succeeds in getting the Federation moved from New York, where
chess exists, to Crossville, Tennessee, which has no roads of any kind (not
even footpaths, I hear) and if he is held to have made the experience a single
megaton blast disaster rather than one of those old Soviet 90 megaton
explosions in the Arctic, then he can move in as ED if Lawrence is in an
interim capacity.

(As everyone knows, Camaratta is slavering at the chops to become ED;
and the price exacted for transferring a politician into the ED's seat ought to
be several months of 100-plus hour weeks serving the as chairman of making the
move.)

The idea that some guy is going to step in as ED, who is largely
unfamiliar with business and chess, and then oversee the move to Crossville, is
cockeyed. The new ED must be an experienced chess person who knows the
national office. There will have to be a second physically energetic figure
heading up the move, separate from the ED, who will be working 100-hour plus
weeks just to keep the Federation afloat.

The Federation needs two men at the top, one to run it and the other
to move it.

Old August 11th 03, 01:42 PM
Parrthenon

DOING AL LAWRENCE AN ILL TURN

By Larry Parr

There is no doubt that everything considered -- no, strike that,
anything considered -- it is doing Al Lawrence an ill turn to suggesthe return
to the USCF as executive director.

The idea here is to find someone to run the Federation who has proven
that he can make money for the USCF. Not every year, perhaps, but in a
majority of years. Besides Al, there is Dr. Gerard Dullea who also made money,
but he is the older of the two.

Conscienceless age discrimination is important here, and the Federation
would do better to go for relative youth.

To bring back Al will require committing unspeakable acts against the
man, compared with which Richard Haas' third nostril may be reckoned a beauty
mark.

Saving Private USCF definitely requires destroying the life of Al
Lawrence.

"So bring back Al Lawrence." (Larry Parr)
==============
Weren't we lead to believe that Al's boss rather tied his hands in re USCF
matters? Al needs to be involved with the USCF about as much as he needs a
third nostril. (RSHaas)

Old August 11th 03, 02:33 PM
WPraeder

The Federation needs two men at the top, one to run it and the other
to move it.

Larry,

I agree however I'm sure all have learned and improved much over time but the
is no rule we must pick from the existing pool. Times have changed. Known
quantities may be preferable to the unknown but I'd prefer some new blood for a
change.

Remember the controversies surrounding:

1994 Dues Increase
1994 Elementary
Re-election of Florencio Campomanes in Moscow
GameTime clock contract
Golden Parachute
Opinion piece written by Partrick Wolff
Majority Report
American Express Corporate Gold Card
Retainer agreement for USCF counsel
Life Member Assets Fund
Chess Life Censorship
Severance Negotiations
Confidential Documents Leaks
Free Memberships
Hamburg Toy Fair
Informant Escrow Account
Grandmaster Retirement Fund
Tempest in Tempe

Remember this 1996 comment: I'm saying that the management team Has lead the
USCF to the brink of disaster. Half of that team jumped ship Just ahead of the
reckoning, the other half is still there and still screwing things up royally.
We are just beginning to understand the depths of financial disaster that we
are at thanks to the rank incompetence and mismanagement of the past few years.

Perhaps we don't want to inflict this cruel and unusual punishment on our
previous managers or ourselves.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder

Old August 11th 03, 05:01 PM
Bruce Draney

Parrthenon wrote:

[...]

Al's time has passed and he's got a full time job in Miami with the
CHOF. Why the hell would he even consider going back to USCF
particularly when they're about to go under permanently and have
problems up the ying yang that even hospital administrator Frank Niro
couldn't solve.

Al's a friend of mine, but this idea is nuts. It will never work and
the B&E vein has been tapped out and is a further cause presently of
some of our major problems, so I seriously doubt Al would "make money"
in large enough amounts on B&E to justify the salary USCF would have to
pay him to leave a lucrative job.

This would be about as attractive as being given charge of a building
that was set to be demolished the next month because you had once
managed an apartment complex.

Dullea got at best a lukewarm response as interim ED a few years ago
after Cavallo was fired. His impact was minimal as well. The solution
to our dining problems is not warming up the 6 day old meat loaf and
calling it haut cuisine.

We're talking right now about the possible death of the organization
without a daring out of the box idea and way of thinking. Hiring
ex-politicos who still believe in the old model of doing business for
USCF would be the final coup de grace for USCF.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 11th 03, 05:32 PM
WPraeder

Hiring
ex-politicos who still believe in the old model of doing business for
USCF would be the final coup de grace for USCF.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Bruce,

You are correct but USCF history does have a way of repeating itself. We may be
stuck in a loop. How one gets to competence or best practice by reinserting
USCF insiders is still a mystery to me.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder

Old August 11th 03, 05:47 PM
Parrthenon

POWERFUL ARGUMENT

By Larry Parr

In what follows Wayne Praeder makes a powerful argument against my
position of seeking experience at this moment.

I am certain only that we need someone who can make money for the
Federation (my idea was to select someone who HAS made money for the Federation
in the past) and we need a separate person in good health to oversee the move
to Crossville. No single human being can direct both. That's a given.

There are very few on this forum who understand the extent that the
move to Crossville will undermine services. There are literally a million
details, and if many of those details are overlooked, then there will be gawd
bloody heck to pay. When I think about the intricacy of the USCF operation and
the loss of employee experience that is about to ensue, I have a fair idea what
a ballbuster this move will prove to be. I know a number of the office
employees, and about half of them are pretty darned good at their jobs. They
will all be gone, and that will be that.

On the subject of Beatriz Marinello as the new president, she appears
to be pro-drug testing and pro-FIDE.

If Bruce Draney is right that Marinello and Stephen Shutt will not
take on the scholastic lobby on membership dues, then the Federation is well
and truly finished.

There can be no services offered that do not at least break even or
make money. Period.

As for drug testing, there can be no compromise on the issue of
privacy in our world of chess. We must fight against the snoops.

Old August 11th 03, 06:14 PM
WPraeder

[...]

Amen.

Regards,
Wayne Praeder
Old August 11th 03, 09:59 PM
Bruce Draney

WPraeder wrote:

[...]

It's nice that you and Larry agree on this, but what about the Delegates
who are filled with special interests up the ying yang?

I believe I'll probably die of old age before I'll ever see the
Delegates relinquish the power to set dues, because the scholastic lobby
would never allow it.

I also believe I'll die in a second life before the Delegates ever roll
back adult dues and raise children's dues to an acceptable level.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old August 12th 03, 04:09 AM
StanB

"Bruce Draney" wrote in message

If all the losses are totalled up since 1996, how much money has USCF
managed to lose?

All of it.

StanB